AP V2 Ascom driver slew speeds wrong #ASCOM_V2_Driver

David Arditti

A curious problem has started occurring today with my AP 1200GTO (GTOCP3, Firmware M).

I usually control this from my warm room by opening Astro-Physics Jog Scope and then calling up the V2 driver window (v5.30.10). Then to make fine adjustments to the pointing, while viewing an image on the screen, I set the move rate to 1x or 0.5x.

However, suddenly today this is not working. Setting the move rate to 1x or 0.5x or 0.25x results in the object shooting across the display: the telescope is slewing much faster than the stated rate. 12x is not so bad, strangely.

Jog Scope still performs as expected.

I've updated ASCOM, switched everything off and on again, but still get the same behaviour.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

Thanks,

David

Ray Gralak

I usually control this from my warm room by opening Astro-Physics Jog Scope and then calling up the V2 driver
window (v5.30.10). Then to make fine adjustments to the pointing, while viewing an image on the screen, I set the
move rate to 1x or 0.5x.
A curious problem has started occurring today with my AP 1200GTO (GTOCP3, Firmware M).
With the older firmware, like what you are using, you should instead use v5.21.01 :

https://www.gralak.com/apdriver/AstroPhysics_V2_Setup_5.21.01.exe

-Ray

A curious problem has started occurring today with my AP 1200GTO (GTOCP3, Firmware M).

I usually control this from my warm room by opening Astro-Physics Jog Scope and then calling up the V2 driver
window (v5.30.10). Then to make fine adjustments to the pointing, while viewing an image on the screen, I set the
move rate to 1x or 0.5x.

However, suddenly today this is not working. Setting the move rate to 1x or 0.5x or 0.25x results in the object
shooting across the display: the telescope is slewing much faster than the stated rate. 12x is not so bad, strangely.

Jog Scope still performs as expected.

I've updated ASCOM, switched everything off and on again, but still get the same behaviour.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

Thanks,

David

David Arditti

Thanks for the reply Ray.

Since you mentioned the firmware it occurred to me that maybe I should install the version V2 ROM that I bought some time ago but had not got round to fitting.

I've done this now and the V2 ASCOM driver is now reading Astro-Physics V2 Driver: v.5.30.10, 1200GTO GTOCP3, Firmware: V2

However, the slewing behaviour is still the same: in the driver, a move rate of 12x gives a sensible result, but 1x and slower are much faster than 12x.

This problem didn't start with the latest version of the ASCOM driver. It started randomly. This makes me think it is more likely to be a hardware issue.

David

Ray Gralak

Hi David,

I've done this now and the V2 ASCOM driver is now reading Astro-Physics V2 Driver: v.5.30.10, 1200GTO
GTOCP3, Firmware: V2

However, the slewing behaviour is still the same: in the driver, a move rate of 12x gives a sensible result, but 1x
and slower are much faster than 12x.
Some of the changes in 5.30.xx involved changes to the move rate commands for the GTOCP4 and don't apply to the GTOCP3, which is now many years out of production. So, please try 5.21.xx as I suggested. You can install this version directly over 5.30.xx. Here is the direct link:

https://www.gralak.com/apdriver/AstroPhysics_V2_Setup_5.21.01.exe

-Ray

Since you mentioned the firmware it occurred to me that maybe I should install the version V2 ROM that I bought
some time ago but had not got round to fitting.

I've done this now and the V2 ASCOM driver is now reading Astro-Physics V2 Driver: v.5.30.10, 1200GTO
GTOCP3, Firmware: V2

However, the slewing behaviour is still the same: in the driver, a move rate of 12x gives a sensible result, but 1x
and slower are much faster than 12x.

This problem didn't start with the latest version of the ASCOM driver. It started randomly. This makes me think it is
more likely to be a hardware issue.

David

David Arditti

OK I've now tried the older driver v5.21.01. Using this did indeed restore the 1x and slower slew speeds as triggered from the PC – kind of.

I've alternated 5.30.10 and 5.21.01 a few times, and I'm getting erratic results with both. In the newer version, the slow slew speeds never work. But in both versions, sometimes a button press will do something different for the first press compared to the second. E.g 12x may look like 1x at first press and then be back to normal. Also, sometimes a control seems stuck – a brief press causes a slew, or a focus change, to continue as if the button were continuously pressed, and it can only be stopped by reversing the action.

All this is with my AP1200 GTO3, firmware V2. I also have an AP900 GTO2, firmware E. I've had no trouble with this with driver 5.30.10. So I don't see how this can be an issue with the latest version on older mounts.

I am controlling both through long serial cables connected to serial to USB convertors. I have several different types of these, so I'm trying to test if a faulty convertor could be the issue.

My friend also has an AP1200 GTO3 firmware V2, and says he is finding no trouble with the latest driver.

David

Don Anderson

David
I have a 900GOTO CP3 with the V firmware and I use the latest Ascom driver 5.30.10. I have had no troubles with the slew rates either. Maybe its one of the serial to USB converters or maybe a bad cable.
Just a thought

Don Anderson

On Friday, March 26, 2021, 09:06:38 p.m. MDT, David Arditti <d@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Zeglinski

David,

    I once had such “funny slew stuff” suddenly happening with my Keypad and AP-1200 – but with a new CP4,  a few years ago.
The previous old CP3 worked perfectly when hooked back up to either mount with the same cables.
I even made up a small circuit board with toggle  DIP-switches to test slews using only the mount’s manual Guider Port, taking the keypad, APCC, and PC ASCOM driver out of the possible causes.

    Then Howard logged into my system via TeamViewer, and monitored what was going on in the CP4’s  firmware,  using his Remote Terminal app, for simple offline diagnostics, as we talked on the phone and I went through my switch toggles.

    Howard, as usual,  very quickly discovered a possible cause of the firmware having suffered from latent static,  or X-Ray scanning damage during CP4 shipment, which may have zapped or weakened the IC, somehow, even encased in the aluminum cover.
Simple  repair after that.

    Might be worth eventually doing the same AP remote examination of your system. An expert’s  pair of eyes, and skilled background, would surely help find you a quick solution, provided you have a repeatable test procedure.

Joe Z.

David Arditti

Thanks for the other suggestions. I am still at a bit of a loss. Experiments using different USB serial convertors, and different cables, have not turned up any clear cause of the odd behaviour.

I am definitely finding the older driver 5.21.01 to be working better than the newer one, 5.30.10, as Ray said it might, but it is not consistent. Because the odd behaviours with driver 5.21.01 are only occasional, I've been noting them down when they happen, otherwise it would be easy to for me to think I am imagining them.

What I have noted is that using the older driver, setting the move rate to 12x sometimes results in a first button press giving a 1x slew, but then it is 12x on subsequent presses (this is not backlash). When set to 1x or 0.5x sometimes the motion is continuous after the button is released, and I have also seen continuous motion at 1x after the button is briefly pressed at 12x setting. This is not a mouse problem, as I have tried two mice.

I now feel I cannot be sure that I would not see similar behaviours with the hand control, as I haven't been using the hand control enough at slow slew rates to be sure. So I am not certain this is not an issue with something in the CP3 box. My latest observations are using the new V2 firmware that was certainly sent to me through air freight, just in an anti-static bag, so X-ray scanning damage as Joe suggests is possible. But then I first started to observe problems with the M firmware, that had previously had no problems, so that theory doesn't fully fit the facts either!