[ap-ug] Thor's Hammer

Pete Lardizabal

Amazing image Roland!

More amazing it has been sitting around for 15 years!

Got any other treasures hibernating at the shop?

😉

Pete

On Oct 1, 2021, at 10:34 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

At least that's what I call it, the outstretched hand and hammer in the neck of the Pelican Nebula, also known as IC 5070. It appears next to a cliff with what looks like a waterfall:

https://www.astrobin.com/6lbi12/C/

Testing out an older 12" F12.5 Mak-Cass which we built about 15 years ago but never put to use or sold. The mirror and corrector lens optics were made by Intes Micro when they were still operating. They are zero-expansion Sital. The rest of the mechanical parts were fabricated here. The tube is carbon fiber.

To take the image I added a CCD67 telecompressor in order to get a larger field. I took it in one night with just over 2 hours of H-a narrowband. It really needs longer exposure.

Got any other treasures hibernating at the shop?
Yes indeed we do.

[...]

Rolando

Bill Long

My wallet is listening carefully....