[ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

Pete Lardizabal

WOW!!!

Should be the proper setting for the scope!

Looking forward to Pacific based Honders images.

😎

Pete

On Oct 13, 2021, at 3:22 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

... where it will gather photons and help to test software and hardware for AP. It has been cloudy here all month with no end in sight, so it is being shipped off to sunnier and warmer climes. My beautiful model is there for perspective to show just how big it is: 1600 mount with 120lb of counterweight and 305mm F3.8 Honders astrograph. Solid as a rock on its ATS pier. Hope to get some images in the coming week.

We have excellent transparency at our observatory and the sky is really dark. The seeing (star scintillation) is not always good, but the Honders is a medium focal length scope (1160mm) so it is ideal for semi-wide field objects. I intend to go extremely deep with it and will be using the fast optics to gather detail in very faint structures.

Should be the proper setting for the scope!

Looking forward to Pacific based Honders images.

😎

Pete

On Oct 13, 2021, at 3:22 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

... where it will gather photons and help to test software and hardware for AP. It has been cloudy here all month with no end in sight, so it is being shipped off to sunnier and warmer climes. My beautiful model is there for perspective to show just how big it is: 1600 mount with 120lb of counterweight and 305mm F3.8 Honders astrograph. Solid as a rock on its ATS pier. Hope to get some images in the coming week.

Pete Lardizabal

Match made in the heavens.

😆

Pete

On Oct 13, 2021, at 7:35 PM, chris1011@... wrote:

[...]

Rolando

James Stone

Can’t wait to see the images. What do you plan on using for an imaging train?

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM
To: "p14@..." <p14@...>, "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Cc: "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

[...]

michael mccann

I’m so thinking mini-dragonfly project. Can’t that mount handle 3 or 4 Riccardi-Honders scopes? My dream project!

dvjbaja

What if you got 4 "Honders" owners to image the same target night after night with the same cameras and filters?  That would be easier than running 4 Honders in an array on the same mount.  Then make the data publicly available for anyone to process.  (Free!)  Such a concept.  ;-P

jg

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 5:17 PM michael mccann via groups.io <mmccawsprojects=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’m so thinking mini-dragonfly project. Can’t that mount handle 3 or 4 Riccardi-Honders scopes? My dream project!

michael mccann

Better results if same sky conditions.

Cheers

Roland Christen

Don't know yest. Most probably a full frame 35mm CMOS at some point.

Can’t wait to see the images. What do you plan on using for an imaging train?

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM
To: "p14@..." <p14@...>, "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Cc: "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

[...]

Maybe four 8 incher R-H, or four 6 inch short focus refractors. Light grasp would be comparable.

I’m so thinking mini-dragonfly project. Can’t that mount handle 3 or 4 Riccardi-Honders scopes? My dream project!

Lookie, their first setup used our old 600 mount:

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 11:36 PM
To: James Stone <jrs7r@...>, "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>, "p14@..." <p14@...>
Cc: "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM
To: "p14@..." <p14@...>, "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Cc: "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

[...]

thefamily90 Phillips

Me as well!!

JimP

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 11:36 PM
To: James Stone <jrs7r@...>, "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>, "p14@..." <p14@...>
Cc: "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM
To: "p14@..." <p14@...>, "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Cc: "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

[...]

I still have my setup with AP 600 and Nikon 500 lens.

JimP

Lookie, their first setup used our old 600 mount: