[ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

Chris Cook

If going by ship it might take a while for delivery.
Might want to go by air instead.

Chris

----- Original Message -----
Reply-To: <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
To: <main@ap-gto.groups.io>, <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: 10/13/2021 3:22:45 PM
Subject: [ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

... where it will gather photons and help to test software and hardware for AP. It has been cloudy here all month with no end in sight, so it is being shipped off to sunnier and warmer climes. My beautiful model is there for perspective to show just how big it is: 1600 mount with 120lb of counterweight and 305mm F3.8 Honders astrograph. Solid as a rock on its ATS pier. Hope to get some images in the coming week.

Rolando

Roland Christen

Oh yes, air for sure. Will arrive next Thursday.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 2:30 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

If going by ship it might take a while for delivery.
Might want to go by air instead.

Chris

----- Original Message -----
Reply-To: <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
To: <main@ap-gto.groups.io>, <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: 10/13/2021 3:22:45 PM
Subject: [ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

... where it will gather photons and help to test software and hardware for AP. It has been cloudy here all month with no end in sight, so it is being shipped off to sunnier and warmer climes. My beautiful model is there for perspective to show just how big it is: 1600 mount with 120lb of counterweight and 305mm F3.8 Honders astrograph. Solid as a rock on its ATS pier. Hope to get some images in the coming week.

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Brian McFarland

Beautiful mount! Are all the new 1600s coming with polished aluminum instead of paint? I'm on the list - hence my question.

Thanks!

Brian

Roland Christen

Nope, the 1600 production mounts are painted white so you don't bump your noggin on it at night. This mount is cobbled together from rejected parts that had scratches or nicks, etc. Basically a prototype suitable for testing stuff.

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 2:55 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

Beautiful mount! Are all the new 1600s coming with polished aluminum instead of paint? I'm on the list - hence my question.

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Bill Long

The Misfit 1600.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 1:03 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Nope, the 1600 production mounts are painted white so you don't bump your noggin on it at night. This mount is cobbled together from rejected parts that had scratches or nicks, etc. Basically a prototype suitable for testing stuff.

Rolando

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

Same with the Honders by the way. Got its own nicks but beautiful in my eyes.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 3:03 pm

Rolando

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

It's actually a very good mount from the standpoint of accuracy. Dual encoders and other goodies. I will be running it fully modeled and unguided.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 3:04 pm

The Misfit 1600.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>

Rolando

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Bill Long

Oh I am sure it is. It just made me think of the island of misfit toys from the Rudolph Christmas cartoon when you said it was made from rejected parts. 🙂

Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 1:12 PM

It's actually a very good mount from the standpoint of accuracy. Dual encoders and other goodies. I will be running it fully modeled and unguided.

Rolando

The Misfit 1600.

Rolando

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Andrea Lucchetti

Roland, if by chance you have enough scraps to build a second one you can send it here, I ‘ manage the disposal for free 😂

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 22:12, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

The Misfit 1600.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io>

Rolando

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

What if you sell it and the next person sends it here because of scratches and wants it fixed under warranty? Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Oct 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Roland, if by chance you have enough scraps to build a second one you can send it here, I ‘ manage the disposal for free 😂

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 22:12, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

The Misfit 1600.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io>

Rolando

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Christopher Erickson

Funny enough, every Thanksgiving and Christmas here in Hawaii, before COVID, my wife and I would host a "Thanksgiving in the Land of Misfit Toys" for all of the elderly, widowed, single or just lonely astro-nuts here on the island. Just being an astro-nut was enough to qualify. I believe Marj & Roland attended at least once.

It will be nice to re-commence with social gatherings at some point. When that finally happens and if any of you happen to be on the Big Island during either of those two holidays, let me know and I'll assign you something to bring to the festivities!

At one point I thought it would be fun to come up with an acronym for the gatherings but upon reflection, TITLOMT didn't create the vibe I was looking for.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, 10:15 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
Oh I am sure it is. It just made me think of the island of misfit toys from the Rudolph Christmas cartoon when you said it was made from rejected parts. 🙂

Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 1:12 PM

Rolando

The Misfit 1600.

Rolando

Thanks!

Brian

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics