From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 3, 2020 9:06 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-ug] Multi-star guiding

Hello fellow Astronuts,

I've been meaning to try something new (for me) in my guided imaging. My setup consists of a 160EDF refractor on a mach2 encoder mount, a QSI-683WSG camera with off-axis pickup, and a Lodestar guide camera. I do all of my imaging with MaximDL Pro6 which has a multi star guiding function. Up to now I have used single star guiding and so i have to pick a guide star and let the guider do its thing. That's an extra step, and since I'm lazy I decided to let the program guide on the whole enchilada using the multi star guide method. So, how did that work out for a 20 minute exposure? Well see below:

Rolando
Notes:
The guiding was effortless, extremely accurate (partly thanks to the precision movements of the Mach2 mount), and required no thinking on my part. The Lodestar guide camera is really tops in my book. It picks up stars in every part of the sky, even in star-poor regions. My guide exposures are 5 seconds with 1 second delay between exposures. My Min Move for both axes was set to 0.02 seconds (which is 0.3 arc sec), and the aggressiveness was set to 8 out of 10 since the seeing was quite good. Outside temperature last night was 25 degrees F. The peak values reflect the dither moves between exposures in case you're wondering.

The California Nebula did not fit into my camera's field of view, oh well. Thus I'm in the market for a larger chip camera for Christmas Smile

Roland Christen

I'm aiming for a 16200 before they disappear completely.

Roland

Big fan of the Lodestar x2 and the Ultrastar.

Bigger chip, those IMX455 cameras are really popular, and you can still find some 16200 and 16803 cameras, although those are phased out and becoming increasingly difficult to locate, if at all.

[...]

Bill Long

The FLI version of that usually has about 6e- noise, whereas the others are 9-12e- if that matters to you. If you can get your hands on the FLI ML16200 camera, you will love it.

Alternatively, there is the QSI6162 camera which is more readily available, has a little higher noise (9e- I think), but has different spacing than the rest of the QSI600 series, although does come in that all-in-one package.