[ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

thefamily90 Phillips

Man, don’t get hypothermic or frostbite! Keep those fingers and toes warm. Good Luck!!

JimP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:11:52 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Oh yeah! I'm well aware but have experienced colder in the past. 10 minutes working with the computer is about the limit, but I have nice warm tea inside. Right now mount and camera are working well. Transparency is super, seeing is horrid. We'll see what we get.

Roland

Man, don’t get hypothermic or frostbite! Keep those fingers and toes warm. Good Luck!!

JimP

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

put the laptop in a cardboard box,
I have a nice insulated one, and yes, that works great.

Rol

put the laptop in a cardboard box, as small as possible while still giving you access to it.
It generates its own heat, just give it a some insulation.

On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 04:15:33 PM PST, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:

Man, don’t get hypothermic or frostbite! Keep those fingers and toes warm. Good Luck!!

JimP

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Jim Phillips

Robert Sinitiere

Roland, You are ALL better and tougher men than am I.  Roland, you are perpetually a 25 year old lad.  I’m 71 now, and feeling it in my joints.  Bob
PS:  Clear skies, it is cloudy here.

On Feb 13, 2021, at 7:14 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

My joints don't work so good either. And sometimes my brain too. I set the exposures at 3 x 10 minutes and came inside. Guider was doing its job. After 30 minutes I went outside and no images! rats! I forgot to turn on Expose. So, first 30 min was wasted. But going good now.

Man, don’t get hypothermic or frostbite! Keep those fingers and toes warm. Good Luck!!

JimP

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Yes, last summer I would not have imagined being out here at sub zero temps, imaging. However, things are going well. Tracking is proceeding at 0.25 arc sec RMS, even though the stars are a bit wooly due to poor seeing. They are not jumping around, just being somewhat fuzzy, which is typical of very cold nights here.

Might post a screen shot later when my fingers warm up. It is now -10F according to my thermometer. There's a lot of radiation to the dark sky, which is dropping the temperature rapidly. My 160 EDF refractor, which is airspaced, is holding its own. No issue as far as pinched optics or plumes. I would have expected some heat plumes from the CCD camera warming up the insides, but so far so good.

I read with utter amazement what you endeavor to do in -20F. In truth, such temperatures are totally incomprehensible to someone like me from the tropics in the Philippines where the night time low is a balmy 72F, and believe it or not is "really cold" so that folks "need" a thin blanket at night!!

I look forward to more of your adventures in the freeze.

John

On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 9:16:24 AM GMT+8, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

put the laptop in a cardboard box,
I have a nice insulated one, and yes, that works great.

Rol

I'm going to give it a try with my Mach2 in sub-zero F temps. It's brilliantly clear (YAY!) but below zero (Wahh!). I hope my laptop doesn't freeze up on me. Wish me luck.

Testing continues primarily to see where and if the normal temp encoders will fail to operate in sub-zero conditions. So far they work fine but we have not seen -20F yet. Maybe Sunday night - Monday morning. Coldest it's ever been in Northern Illinois is -32F, but haven't seen that in the last 10 years.

Jim Phillips

dvjbaja

Its fairly easy to set up chrome remote on your notebook at the telescope so you can operate all pc functions from the 2nd pc in the warm and comfortable home.  -jg

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

[...]

Pete Mumbower

Roland, how well do your mounts balance in such cold temps? My current mount's(CGE-Pro) grease gets "sticky/gummy" below freezing and it is impossible to balance. I really look forward to a new 1100GTO shortly btw.

Roland Christen

Since i am testing stuff, I need to be at the mount. things like belt tension, motor current, etc. If I were just imaging, i would run everything thru the Ethernet connection from the observatory to my nice warm office.

[...]

The Mach2 balances easily regardless of temperature. It has clutches, so the one thing that is different from the Mach1 is that the clutch end is on needle bearings versus the Mach1 bushing. The Mach1 also allowed the user to back off the worm so that the axis could swing free. But this has a downside if the user inadvertently does this in the wrong place with a huge imbalance. You can run the tops of the teeth over each other and cause damage. The Mach2 does away with that. No chance that the gear teeth can ever be damaged. Clutchless mounts have no other way to allow the axis to swing free - they must allow backing the worm teeth off the worm wheel.