[ap-ug] Deep Freeze imaging tonight

Roland Christen

Ready to do battle Mach2 with 10"F6 Mak and an oldie but goodie 130F6 Starfire:

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2022 4:32 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Deep Freeze imaging tonight

Hello Astronuts,

I have been imaging on and off for the last week or so in temperatures close to 0F. Tonight it is slated to drop down further to -12F (-25C). It's already at -18C, so this should be a great test to see what dies first - mount, laptop, or camera. Right now the Mach2 mount is happily slewing at 1800x with no muss, no muss.
The QSI 683 camera fan is sounding a bit strange, like it's being strangled. In the past the filter wheel froze up because the rubber O-ring shrunk and the motor shaft wasn't making contact any more.
The 10" Mak is waiting for photons to arrive, 'twill be interesting. Let cha all know how it went later tonight.

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Ram

I'm sure you are testing the new flattener on the oldie but goodie. Can't wait to see your results!

Roland Christen

The flattener works fine, but the camera has hiccups and tilt. It's too cold to try adjusting it tonight.

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] Deep Freeze imaging tonight

I'm sure you are testing the new flattener on the oldie but goodie. Can't wait to see your results!

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Cheng-Yang Tan

Keep warm! I’m waiting for Spring :)

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 5:00 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Hello Astronuts,

I have been imaging on and off for the last week or so in temperatures close to 0F. Tonight it is slated to drop down further to -12F (-25C). It's already at -18C, so this should be a great test to see what dies first - mount, laptop, or camera. Right now the Mach2 mount is happily slewing at 1800x with no muss, no muss.
The QSI 683 camera fan is sounding a bit strange, like it's being strangled. In the past the filter wheel froze up because the rubber O-ring shrunk and the motor shaft wasn't making contact any more.
The 10" Mak is waiting for photons to arrive, 'twill be interesting. Let cha all know how it went later tonight.

Rolando

Roland Christen

Well, it was a short session. First I lost the camera USB connection, then the other USB cables stopped working. Tried two new cables but they worked for only 10 minutes. Only one cable is still working and I have no idea why cables don't work in the cold.  Are the plastic connectors shrinking and losing contact?

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Deep Freeze imaging tonight

Keep warm! I’m waiting for Spring :)

cytan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 5:00 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

Hello Astronuts,

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Keith Olsen

I live in northern Illinois too and was debating going out tonight with my new 1100GTO, but after reading your problems tonight I think I'll just stay in and make hot chocolate. 

Roland Christen

The mounts in the observatory all work. The cameras are all inoperable because they all rely on USB cables..

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2022 6:47 pm

I live in northern Illinois too and was debating going out tonight with my new 1100GTO, but after reading your problems tonight I think I'll just stay in and make hot chocolate. 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Luca Marinelli

Roland,

I have been imaging upstate NY through the recent sun-zero cold weather. The lowest temperature was -12F. Both the AP Mach2 and 1100 kept humming along with no issues. No equipment failed. 

In the Fall I started having intermittent connection problems with USB3 cables and the ZWO ASI6200 connector (cable run goes to a Pegasus UPBv2 and the Mach2 internal cable, before going to a computer next to the mount). I tried several cables but they all had this same pattern of disconnecting intermittently. I switched to a USB2 cable and problem solved - no more connection problems. 

This setup has held up well down to -12F with no equipment connectivity issues. 

Luca 

On Jan 25, 2022, at 8:17 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The mounts in the observatory all work. The cameras are all inoperable because they all rely on USB cables..

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Luca Marinelli

I should also mention that on the AP1100 I have another scope running a QHY 268M and on this camera I keep using USB3 cables with no connectivity problems. The cable goes to a Pegasus UPBv2 and then a second cable routed through the mount and connected to a computer at the base of the pier. It has one fewer hop than the Mach2, which may make a difference, or the camera connector fits more snugly and doesn’t loose contact in the cold. 

Luca 

On Jan 25, 2022, at 8:41 PM, Luca Marinelli via groups.io <photo@...> wrote:

Roland,

I have been imaging upstate NY through the recent sun-zero cold weather. The lowest temperature was -12F. Both the AP Mach2 and 1100 kept humming along with no issues. No equipment failed. 

In the Fall I started having intermittent connection problems with USB3 cables and the ZWO ASI6200 connector (cable run goes to a Pegasus UPBv2 and the Mach2 internal cable, before going to a computer next to the mount). I tried several cables but they all had this same pattern of disconnecting intermittently. I switched to a USB2 cable and problem solved - no more connection problems. 

Luca 

On Jan 25, 2022, at 8:17 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

My camera's USB2 cable has failed several times this winter. I replaced all cables last week and had several successful sessions until tonight. I don't know if it's the cable or the laptop.

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm

I should also mention that on the AP1100 I have another scope running a QHY 268M and on this camera I keep using USB3 cables with no connectivity problems. The cable goes to a Pegasus UPBv2 and then a second cable routed through the mount and connected to a computer at the base of the pier. It has one fewer hop than the Mach2, which may make a difference, or the camera connector fits more snugly and doesn’t loose contact in the cold. 

Luca 

On Jan 25, 2022, at 8:41 PM, Luca Marinelli via groups.io <photo@...> wrote:

Roland,

Luca 

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Eric Weiner

Same here. Down to -15°F without issues. All L-com USB3 cables other than one USB2 to a FlipFlat. Remote from yard to house with an ICRON 3104. Front Range in Colorado so very low RH.

Eric

Astrobob

A few years ago during a cold night in Massachusetts at -12f my cameras were failing to work. At that time SSD hard drives were available so I installed one in my observatory laptop. On another night it got down to -8f. I’ve not had a temperature problem since.

Bob

Sent from Mail for Windows

M Hambrick

There was a recent discussion thread about USB3 cables where Lindy Chromo cables were mentioned as being the top of the line. Have you tried using them in the cold ? They are supposed to be rated down to -20 Deg C.

Mike

Andrea Lucchetti

I have the lindy, I've used them till -3 without any problems.
The only complaint is that they are not more flexible than other typical cables.
When the temperature drops below 10 deg, they become stiffer, like normal pvc cables.
at least this is my experience.
Andrea

Il giorno mer 26 gen 2022 alle ore 12:51 M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> ha scritto:
There was a recent discussion thread about USB3 cables where Lindy Chromo cables were mentioned as being the top of the line. Have you tried using them in the cold ? They are supposed to be rated down to -20 Deg C.

Mike

Roland Christen

My camera has USB2 connection and none of the cables I tried last night worked. Camera would not connect. Might be an internal problem in the camera and I hope it works again when the temperature comes back up next couple of days.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Jan 26, 2022 5:51 am

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Tom Blahovici

I believe most of the zwo cameras have a usb speed setting in their drivers. Set it to the lowest. It makes little difference in the actual speed of download.
I could never get my asi6200 to work at a speed above 40 which is the lowest.
Tom

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

Living in Florida I do find it somewhat humorous that the AP equipment held fast and worked like a charm, while everything that supported it started to fail.   I don't have much empathy for the cold weather condition challenges.  However, this thread is valuable to me since I am looking to set something up in Montana and my tune is going to change in about a year or two.

Another comment is related to the abundant blue painter's tape everywhere.   If I could zoom in on the image and have the proper resolution would the label on the blue tape actually say Roland's USB cords, Roland's QSI Camera, Roland's Control Box, Roland's ZWO camera, Roland's Hand Controller?  Of course everyone knows the scopes are Roland's scopes so there is no need to label them.  Reminds me of when I was in the scouting program and I made all the boys label everything they brought to camp so there would be no squabble about who brought what to camp.

ernie.mastroianni@...

How much weight is that Mach2 carrying? And is the 10” Maksutov f/16?

Roland Christen

The weight is probably around 65lb, maybe 70 with the various dovetails and cameras.
The 10" is F6.5. It's a 1- off prototype that I am testing with various cameras.

Very nice theoretical design with extremely flat field, excellent color correction from I.R. to U.V. and high Strehl over the entire spectrum. Covers a 50mm diffraction limited field with no vignetting. See specs below.

Rolando

Sent: Thu, Jan 27, 2022 2:06 pm

How much weight is that Mach2 carrying? And is the 10” Maksutov f/16?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Christopher M

Interesting.  Do please let us know the results.  Myself I'm curious to the results w your 8300 based camera as I'm still old fashioned CCD.  But Full Frame results at 1650m FL will be interesting to see as well.

Do also let us know if you found fixes for the cold issues and the USB cables.
C