[ap-ug] Deep Freeze imaging tonight

Roland Christen

Ready to do battle Mach2 with 10"F6 Mak and an oldie but goodie 130F6 Starfire:

From: Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>; main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jan 25, 2022 4:32 pm
Subject: [ap-ug] Deep Freeze imaging tonight

Hello Astronuts,

I have been imaging on and off for the last week or so in temperatures close to 0F. Tonight it is slated to drop down further to -12F (-25C). It's already at -18C, so this should be a great test to see what dies first - mount, laptop, or camera. Right now the Mach2 mount is happily slewing at 1800x with no muss, no muss.
The QSI 683 camera fan is sounding a bit strange, like it's being strangled. In the past the filter wheel froze up because the rubber O-ring shrunk and the motor shaft wasn't making contact any more.
The 10" Mak is waiting for photons to arrive, 'twill be interesting. Let cha all know how it went later tonight.

Ram

I'm sure you are testing the new flattener on the oldie but goodie. Can't wait to see your results!

Roland Christen

The flattener works fine, but the camera has hiccups and tilt. It's too cold to try adjusting it tonight.

I'm sure you are testing the new flattener on the oldie but goodie. Can't wait to see your results!

Cheng-Yang Tan

Keep warm! I’m waiting for Spring :)

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 5:00 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Ready to do battle Mach2 with 10"F6 Mak and an oldie but goodie 130F6 Starfire:

I have been imaging on and off for the last week or so in temperatures close to 0F. Tonight it is slated to drop down further to -12F (-25C). It's already at -18C, so this should be a great test to see what dies first - mount, laptop, or camera. Right now the Mach2 mount is happily slewing at 1800x with no muss, no muss.
The QSI 683 camera fan is sounding a bit strange, like it's being strangled. In the past the filter wheel froze up because the rubber O-ring shrunk and the motor shaft wasn't making contact any more.
The 10" Mak is waiting for photons to arrive, 'twill be interesting. Let cha all know how it went later tonight.

Well, it was a short session. First I lost the camera USB connection, then the other USB cables stopped working. Tried two new cables but they worked for only 10 minutes. Only one cable is still working and I have no idea why cables don't work in the cold.  Are the plastic connectors shrinking and losing contact?

Ready to do battle Mach2 with 10"F6 Mak and an oldie but goodie 130F6 Starfire:

I have been imaging on and off for the last week or so in temperatures close to 0F. Tonight it is slated to drop down further to -12F (-25C). It's already at -18C, so this should be a great test to see what dies first - mount, laptop, or camera. Right now the Mach2 mount is happily slewing at 1800x with no muss, no muss.
The QSI 683 camera fan is sounding a bit strange, like it's being strangled. In the past the filter wheel froze up because the rubber O-ring shrunk and the motor shaft wasn't making contact any more.
The 10" Mak is waiting for photons to arrive, 'twill be interesting. Let cha all know how it went later tonight.

Keith Olsen

I live in northern Illinois too and was debating going out tonight with my new 1100GTO, but after reading your problems tonight I think I'll just stay in and make hot chocolate.

Roland Christen

The mounts in the observatory all work. The cameras are all inoperable because they all rely on USB cables..