From: AaronW <aaron.wilhelm@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Cc: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jan 21, 2022 12:14 am
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] [ap-gto] Imaging tonight with Mach2 at 5 below zero

I am a new owner of a Mach2 and am extremely happy with it (my first ever mount, actually!).  However, I never get anything close to 0.15 arc sec rms.  I have not yet attempted to build a pointing model and am simply guiding with PHD2.  But perhaps my PHD settings are not what they should be.

I am imaging exclusively in narrowband in Bortle 7/8 skies, and seeing conditions vary from night to night, but even under “above average” seeing conditions (as defined by the app “Astrospheric”), the best I can get is 0.3 arc sec total rms (think I was at 0.25 for a few hours one night).

I always image at a focal length of between 730 - 910mm, I polar align easily with SharpCap and am always within just a few arc seconds of error), and my PHD2 settings are as follows:

RA Agr: 70
Hys: 10
MnMo: 0.24
DEC: Agr: 100
MnMo: 0.24
Scope: Mx RA: 2500
Mx DEC: 2500

Guiding exposures typically looping at 4 seconds and multi-star guiding is always enabled.

Any suggestions about how to optimize are welcome!

Best,
Aaron

On Jan 20, 2022, at 8:14 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Yes, it's bitterly cold tonight, but very clear here in the Midwest. -5 degrees F and heading to -15. Mount's running like a champ, slewing and tracking smoothly with high accuracy and no muss or fuss. 10" Mak-Cass astrograph shooting my favorite deep sky objects. Guiding at between 0.1 and 0.15 arc sec rms at 1600mm focal length.
I Love this mount Heart Eyes