Topics

AP Mount maitenance

Geoff Smith

I have an AP900 Mount which has been in my observatory for quite a few years. Can someone point me to any necessary maintenance procedures I should be doing?

Michael Hambrick

Hi Geoff

Try looking on the Astro-Physics web site. They have a lot of information in their Support section. There is a collection of documentation for their legacy products there. I don't know if the 900 mount is there, but that is likely the best place to start.

George at Astro-Physics is also a good source of information.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Don Anderson

Geoff
When was the last time you cleaned and re lubed the RA and Dec gear trains. If it has been awhile I would service the gear boxes and worm gears. AP has a very nice grease kit. Maybe Marj can send you one. Everyone other Marj, Rolland and Karen are off because of Covid2.

Don Anderson

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 04:33:41 a.m. MDT, Geoff Smith <ghsmith45@...> wrote:

I have an AP900 Mount which has been in my observatory for quite a few years. Can someone point me to any necessary maintenance procedures I should be doing?

Charles Thompson

I agree, give George at AP a call. He recommended their grease kit for my 900 I had a while back. It's comes with two types of grease for the gears and worms. It's a good kit to have.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

Try looking on the Astro-Physics web site. They have a lot of information in their Support section. There is a collection of documentation for their legacy products there. I don't know if the 900 mount is there, but that is likely the best place to start.

George at Astro-Physics is also a good source of information.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Mike Dodd

On 3/23/2020 10:48 PM, Charles Thompson via Groups.Io wrote:
I agree, give George at AP a call. He recommended their grease kit for
my 900 I had a while back. It comes with two types of grease for the
gears and worms.
I bought one back in Augusto, but haven't used it yet. It cost about $42.50, and came with two containers of grease, an artist-type paint brush, and clear illustrated instructions for how to access the gears and apply the grease.

--
Mike

Mike Dodd
Louisa County, Virginia USA
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

sroberts84

Awesome - I was thinking about the same for my AP900-GTO lately..,

Will email George as well...,

Thanks, Chaps..,

On 23/03/2020 20:19, Mike Dodd wrote:
On 3/23/2020 10:48 PM, Charles Thompson via Groups.Io wrote:
I agree, give George at AP a call. He recommended their grease kit for
my 900 I had a while back. It comes with two types of grease for the
gears and worms.
I bought one back in Augusto, but haven't used it yet. It cost about $42.50, and came with two containers of grease, an artist-type paint brush, and clear illustrated instructions for how to access the gears and apply the grease.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Roy Batty (Jan 8th 2016 - Dec 2019)

Charles Thompson

Getting the old grease off and setting the gear meshes properly are the only annoying parts of the process. I think there is a YouTube video of a guy doing it exactly. Just watch that and you are good to go. It's very straight forward.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.