From: Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Mar 22, 2022 8:54 am
Subject: [ap-gto] AP 11000 mount evolution planned?

Hi A-P.   I am on the waiting list for an 1100 GTO mount to use with a 180mm Scope.     Scope should arrive in June, and am wondering what the current outlook is for the next batch of 1100 mounts?
I have also been wondering if there are plans to upgrade the 1100 to be more like the Mach2:  have integrated encoders  and CP5 controller rather than the current add-on encoders and CP4.    I'd hate to purchase the 1100 and find out in 6 months the mount is going through an evolution.

Terri

Karen Christen

To answer your other question, Terri, the next run of 1100GTOs is in production now.  We anticipate delivery of the first mounts late this year.

Karen

AP

The CP4 and CP5 are internally exactly the same. The only difference is that the CP4 drives Swiss Maxon servo motors, whereas the CP5 drives Trinamic micro-stepper motors. We use the Maxon motors on the larger mounts for their higher torque capabilities. Functionally these controllers are identical.

At this point the 1100 and 1600 mounts will not change. Reason is that if we implemented the same internal encoder design as we use in the Mach 2, we would not be able to provide the large opening that allows users to thread cables thru the mount. You also would not be able to separate the two axes for easy transport and storage. The way the mounts are designed now gives the user many options, and the optional encoders provide the ultimate in accuracy and stability of this series. Almost all the upgrades that we are working on involve software tweaks that will also be available to any previous users.

Hi A-P.   I am on the waiting list for an 1100 GTO mount to use with a 180mm Scope.     Scope should arrive in June, and am wondering what the current outlook is for the next batch of 1100 mounts?
I have also been wondering if there are plans to upgrade the 1100 to be more like the Mach2:  have integrated encoders  and CP5 controller rather than the current add-on encoders and CP4.    I'd hate to purchase the 1100 and find out in 6 months the mount is going through an evolution.

Terri

Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Walt Cooney

Rolando,

If I could, I'd like to put in a plug for upgrade kits to install auto-adjusting motors/gearboxes.  Looking forward to that upgrade for my AP-1600.

Clearest skies,
Walt Cooney

On 3/22/2022 10:46 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Jeffc

My plug would be for a “disengage motor lever” upgrade on older 1100 mounts.

-jeff

On Mar 22, 2022, at 9:00 AM, Walt Cooney <waltc1111@...> wrote:

[...]

Andy Ermolli

So if I were to add the encoders to my 1100 would I be unable to separate the axes for transport?

Bill Long

You can still. You just need to be mindful of the rubber protector in the Dec axis.

So if I were to add the encoders to my 1100 would I be unable to separate the axes for transport?

Roland Christen

The way the encoders are mounted on the 1100/1600 still allows you to separate the axes. It also still allows you to run a bunch of cables thru the mount. That's the whole point I was trying to make, that we don't want to make any changes to the structure of the mount that would change those features.

Roland

So if I were to add the encoders to my 1100 would I be unable to separate the axes for transport?

George

Yes…it does not affect axis separation.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

So if I were to add the encoders to my 1100 would I be unable to separate the axes for transport?

Worsel

Roland

"At this point the 1100 and 1600 mounts will not change. Reason is that if we implemented the same internal encoder design as we use in the Mach 2, we would not be able to provide the large opening that allows users to thread cables thru the mount. You also would not be able to separate the two axes for easy transport and storage. The way the mounts are designed now gives the user many options, and the optional encoders provide the ultimate in accuracy and stability of this series. Almost all the upgrades that we are working on involve software tweaks that will also be available to any previous users."

Thank you!

Bryan

Bill Long

Being an owner of both the Mach 2 and 1100 with Encoders, I can tell you that there are advantages to both. The types of scope setups that require large and often awkward connectors would benefit greatly from the additional spacing in terms of cable routing offered by the 1100. It is very suitable for observatory use, where its design difference (in terms of "getting lost") is largely nullified. Likewise, though, it can be used mobile with great efficiency since the axis can split and the mount effectively breaks down into two very light pieces.

The Mach 2 has a great design for its intended use as well. The pre-routed cabling lends itself well to other products commonly in use, such as the Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox v2. You dont need to run anything else, save for maybe the desire to run an ethernet cable for a focuser. That is easily managed externally though. The benefit in the design is that the mount will never get lost. Many people on CN (that also post here) have overlooked the sheer power the Mach 2 can dish out. I did an extended test of the mount well past its published limits and it easily managed the load I put on it, and while some misled individuals with their own motives attempted to undermine that test, the fact remains that the Mach 2 was able to ace the test easily.

The 1100 does not need to evolve, IMO. The rest of the market does for its weight class and its power in a mobile package. You really can't go wrong with either.

The question I pose back to people when asked which I would recommend is simple -- do you want to put larger than 12.5" Cassegrain telescope on it? Get an 1100 if so. Do you want to put longer than a 150-160mm refactor on it? Get the 1100 if so. In all other cases, including the common AGO 12.5" iDK and Planewave 12.5" CDK the Mach 2 can wizardly operate those two scopes with ZERO issues. I say that with all the confidence in the world, knowing that I put 70lbs of gear on it, and Roland put 100lbs.

Good days we are living in, with A-P mounts. They are exceptional, one of a kind, and destroy their competition. I have the data to prove it.

-Bill