AP 105Traveler and a Daystar ATM H-Alpha filter troubles

CaptMax

I am struggling to get a Daystar H-Alpha filter working with my 105 Traveler. The problem is bringing it in focus. I am using the ERF red glass filter with this as well. Pretty sure it is due to incorrect focal length or the fact that it needs to be operated at an f30. Has anyone had experience playing with one of these on a Traveler? Any insight is greatly appreciated, thank-you for any and all replies.
CaptMax

Frost David

Yes.  Its in the incorrect order from what I can see.  Is it a Quantum?  Quark?  Cant tell from the pic.

I have a Quantum.  It goes focuser > diagonal > Quantum (with a 4x Powermate attached to the endplates) > eyepiece or camera.  No spacers of any kind.  Reaches focus perfectly.  The Powermate screws apart into two pieces, one goes on each side of the Quantum filter and attach to its endplates.  One end in the focuser, one end is for eyepieces or cameras.

Or just contact Daystar.  They are extremely helpful.  There are diagrams somewhere on their website…I had to find them since I did the same thing the first time too.  Cant find them right now, and there seem to be a bunch of broken links on their pages.

David

On Jul 22, 2021, at 5:02 PM, CaptMax <captmax@...> wrote:

I am struggling to get a Daystar H-Alpha filter working with my 105 Traveler. The problem is bringing it in focus. I am using the ERF red glass filter with this as well. Pretty sure it is due to incorrect focal length or the fact that it needs to be operated at an f30. Has anyone had experience playing with one of these on a Traveler? Any insight is greatly appreciated, thank-you for any and all replies.
CaptMax <BD1D6E0B-912F-410D-8A31-72BA958433DD.jpeg>

Anthony DAngelo

It appears you may be using Barlow wrong,if it is a televue Barlow the nosepiece unscrews and you should be able to focus better.

On Jul 22, 2021, at 6:03 PM, CaptMax <captmax@...> wrote:

I am struggling to get a Daystar H-Alpha filter working with my 105 Traveler. The problem is bringing it in focus. I am using the ERF red glass filter with this as well. Pretty sure it is due to incorrect focal length or the fact that it needs to be operated at an f30. Has anyone had experience playing with one of these on a Traveler? Any insight is greatly appreciated, thank-you for any and all replies.
CaptMax
<BD1D6E0B-912F-410D-8A31-72BA958433DD.jpeg>

Anthony DAngelo

This is how I have setup on a Brandon 94

On Jul 22, 2021, at 6:03 PM, CaptMax <captmax@...> wrote:

I am struggling to get a Daystar H-Alpha filter working with my 105 Traveler. The problem is bringing it in focus. I am using the ERF red glass filter with this as well. Pretty sure it is due to incorrect focal length or the fact that it needs to be operated at an f30. Has anyone had experience playing with one of these on a Traveler? Any insight is greatly appreciated, thank-you for any and all replies.
CaptMax
<BD1D6E0B-912F-410D-8A31-72BA958433DD.jpeg>

Dale Ghent

This, but also put a 2" IR cut filter on the front of the diagonal.

On Jul 22, 2021, at 5:02 PM, CaptMax <captmax@att.net> wrote:

I am struggling to get a Daystar H-Alpha filter working with my 105 Traveler. The problem is bringing it in focus. I am using the ERF red glass filter with this as well. Pretty sure it is due to incorrect focal length or the fact that it needs to be operated at an f30. Has anyone had experience playing with one of these on a Traveler? Any insight is greatly appreciated, thank-you for any and all replies.
CaptMax <BD1D6E0B-912F-410D-8A31-72BA958433DD.jpeg>

CaptMax

I appreciate all the help everyone, thank you. This is one of the early Daystar filters back when Del Woods built them individually himself. It has the nice German red glass ERF filter on the objective and uses 110V for the heater and filter adjustment. Here are a few pics I found online while researching my problem. I think I have a better idea now and will try again tomorrow or this weekend. I will post any progress.
CaptMax

Dale Ghent

This looks like an old University model. It’s likely that it will need new blockers and trimmers after all these years. You can send it to Daystar and they can rehab it for you.

I took and old University model that I bought for cheap and sent it in to them. They checked the etalon and transplanted it into a Quantum PE housing with new blockers and trimmers for $2000, and included a fresh warranty. They also recharacterized the bandpass. It turned out to be 0.45Å, not the 0.5Å that it was originally labeled as.

On Jul 22, 2021, at 20:46, CaptMax <captmax@...> wrote:

I appreciate all the help everyone, thank you. This is one of the early Daystar filters back when Del Woods built them individually himself. It has the nice German red glass ERF filter on the objective and uses 110V for the heater and filter adjustment. Here are a few pics I found online while researching my problem. I think I have a better idea now and will try again tomorrow or this weekend. I will post any progress.
CaptMax
<EFF363CE-71BF-4214-9849-008F1975CB7B.jpeg>
<BD66C60C-50AD-4A2C-A495-A68D98B732C3.jpeg>