AP900 handles a wind storm

Ken Sablinsky

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share a shot of M82 showing how well my AP900 handled the 130mm f/8.35 during an unexpected (to me) wind storm last week. Not a great image compared with many on here, but considering the flying tree branches, it turned out well.

I stupidly forgot to check the weather before setting up on a clear, dry night on the back deck.  What I didn't realize was that a rather large wind storm was bearing down on the SF Bay Area later that night.  I woke up to a gust that my weather station recorded at 29 mph, so in a panic I ran outside to see if everything was ok.  Mount seemed find, and to my surprise it was still guiding and the subs looks rather good.  Fat bright stars from the bad seeing, but otherwise the wind didn't see to be affecting anything.

Image located here: https://www.astrobin.com/ix35g6/?nc=user

I bought my 900 new from AP back in 1999, and not an imaging session goes by without me marveling at the quality and ability of this mount.  It's newly upgraded with a CP4 and APCC Pro (the CP4 had to go back for a warranty fix of some internal component, and I'm happy to say it's back working flawless again). APCC is worth every penny, as the tracking and pointing models are a fantastic upgrade from my old CP2 box.

-Ken

Jeff B

Good stuff Ken.

I love all of my AP mounts (400, Mach 1, 900, (2) 1200).  They just do their thing.

Jeff

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM Ken Sablinsky <kensablinsky@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Anderson

Great shot Ken. Yes the 900 is a great mount. I got my AP900GOTO CP3 new in 2008. Has worked flawlessly since then. These mounts are really good for a lifetime.

Don Anderson

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 05:09:34 p.m. MST, Ken Sablinsky <kensablinsky@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Hamburg

Amen!
Michael

<kensablinsky@...> wrote:
[...]

Roland Christen

By all accounts that's an excellent image. How do you like the longer focal ratio of F8.35? That scope was made when F8 was considered fast. We have become somewhat spoiled since those days.

[...]

Thanks!  I love the ~1100mm focal length image scale/fov, and the slower focal ratio doesn't hurt at all with these CMOS cams that take such short exposures.  Do I wish I had an f/6 version also?  Sure! But I won't trade this f/8.35 away for anything.  Years ago with my old SBIG ST-8 and a narrow H-A filter, I'd have to shoot 15-20 minute subs, but since the mount tracked so well, who cared!

5 minute subs with a 5nm HA filter is as long an exposure as I've probably needed:
https://www.astrobin.com/en3r1y/?nc=user

-Ken

Roland Christen

5 minute subs with a 5nm HA filter is as long an exposure as I've probably needed:
https://www.astrobin.com/en3r1y/?nc=user
That's a gorgeous shot. I love black&white, it always has an ethereal quality.

Thanks!  I love the ~1100mm focal length image scale/fov, and the slower focal ratio doesn't hurt at all with these CMOS cams that take such short exposures.  Do I wish I had an f/6 version also?  Sure! But I won't trade this f/8.35 away for anything.  Years ago with my old SBIG ST-8 and a narrow H-A filter, I'd have to shoot 15-20 minute subs, but since the mount tracked so well, who cared!

5 minute subs with a 5nm HA filter is as long an exposure as I've probably needed:
https://www.astrobin.com/en3r1y/?nc=user

-Ken

Joseph Beyer

I had to laugh when I read Ken's message a couple days ago.  I live about 8 miles from the coast SF Bay side and was out imaging the same night Ken was using my Mach1 unguided with an FSQ106.  When I started up there was a gentle breeze and seeing was so-so.  I went out to check on things a couple hours later the wind was blowing a constant 15 mph so I called it a night and covered it up.  The howling wind woke me up at 3 and I ran out to see if everything was still standing.  The wind gusts knocked me back a step or two when standing next to the mount so I grabbed the telescope off the mount and called it good.

Even with at least 3 hours of wind it still didn't come out too bad, but of course I wasn't sporting 130mm of focal length! - https://www.astrobin.com/full/agsfle/0/

I was back at it the next night and it was incredibly calm - https://www.astrobin.com/full/ffk3iz/0/

The Mach1 works like a fine watch.

Joe