AP1600 regreasing

Craig Young

Is there a video or document that details re-greasing an AP1600 mount?

Craig

michael mccann

Actually I might want to take advantage of the process as well since everything in my observatory is dismantled this week to remove an old concrete pier. I have an AP1600 AEL. And is there different lubricant?

Cheers

Mike

Geert

There is a video here: https://youtu.be/R7s2kTzFNF4 . And AP sells a set of
grease for their mounts, contact them.

Best regards,

Geert

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> Namens michael mccann via
groups.io
Verzonden: donderdag 30 december 2021 8:03
Aan: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [ap-gto] AP1600 regreasing

Actually I might want to take advantage of the process as well since
everything in my observatory is dismantled this week to remove an old
concrete pier. I have an AP1600 AEL. And is there different lubricant?

Cheers

Mike

This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection.
For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Bill Long

The grease kit they sell comes with instructions.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Craig Young <craig.young.m8@...>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 11:49 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1600 regreasing

Is there a video or document that details re-greasing an AP1600 mount?

Craig

Karen Christen

Michael & Craig,

Please call our office at 815.282.1513 if you'd like to order the grease kit. It is not available on our website.
Karen
AP

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of michael mccann via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2021 2:03 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1600 regreasing

Actually I might want to take advantage of the process as well since everything in my observatory is dismantled this week to remove an old concrete pier. I have an AP1600 AEL. And is there different lubricant?

Cheers

Mike

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

michael mccann

I noticed that:). Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers

Mike

On Dec 30, 2021, at 08:42, Karen Christen <karen@...> wrote:

Michael & Craig,

Please call our office at 815.282.1513 if you'd like to order the grease kit. It is not available on our website.
Karen
AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of michael mccann via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2021 2:03 AM

Cheers

Mike

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Craig Young

Karen,
Given the current delays and increased cost with International shipping, it would be weeks to months before I would get the grease kit here in New Zealand.  I did watch the video linked above and got the gist of how to do it.  Would AP recommend any difference in the procedure, or could you email out specific instructions for the 1600 mount (purchased about 6 years ago).  Like Mike, the OTA is off the mount and now is a convenient time to service it.

Craig

George

Craig,

The greasing concept for the 1200 and 1600 are, for the most part, the same.    If you email me directly, I’ll send you the greasing instructions.  

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Craig Young
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2021 11:31 AM

Karen,
Given the current delays and increased cost with International shipping, it would be weeks to months before I would get the grease kit here in New Zealand.  I did watch the video linked above and got the gist of how to do it.  Would AP recommend any difference in the procedure, or could you email out specific instructions for the 1600 mount (purchased about 6 years ago).  Like Mike, the OTA is off the mount and now is a convenient time to service it.

Craig

michael mccann

Mine is shipping out today. Call

On Dec 30, 2021, at 10:42, George <George@...> wrote:

Craig,

The greasing concept for the 1200 and 1600 are, for the most part, the same.    If you email me directly, I’ll send you the greasing instructions.  

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Karen,

Craig

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi George,

can you please send it olso to me. 

Grüsse

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 30.12.2021 um 18:42 schrieb George <George@...>:

Craig,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Karen,

Craig

michael mccann

Lickity-split that grease kit is already here. I bought my AP1600 used. In the Greasing mounts instructions the last topic is : 1600GTO, 1100GTO, and Mach1GTO with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes. How do I check to see if my mount has a Auto-Adjust Motor box?

Cheers
Mike

George

Mike,

Do the motor boxes have release levers on the right hand side?

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.

Sent: Monday, January 3, 2022 10:25 PM

Lickity-split that grease kit is already here. I bought my AP1600 used. In the Greasing mounts instructions the last topic is : 1600GTO, 1100GTO, and Mach1GTO with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes. How do I check to see if my mount has a Auto-Adjust Motor box?

Cheers
Mike

michael mccann

Yes, If Right hand side is looking from the cable access side ( or left side from CW ).

Cheers

On Jan 4, 2022, at 12:47, George <George@...> wrote:

Mike,

Do the motor boxes have release levers on the right hand side?

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone: 815-222-6538 (direct line)
Phone: 815-282-1513 (office)
Email: george@...

Sent: Monday, January 3, 2022 10:25 PM

Cheers
Mike

Roland Christen

You have the spring loaded (Auto-Adjust) motor box

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Jan 5, 2022 11:04 am

Yes, If Right hand side is looking from the cable access side ( or left side from CW ).

Cheers
> On Jan 4, 2022, at 12:47, George <George@...> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> Do the motor boxes have release levers on the right hand side?
>
> Regards,
>
> George
>
> George Whitney
> Astro-Physics, Inc.
> Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
> Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)
> Email:  george@...
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of michael mccann via groups.io
> Sent: Monday, January 3, 2022 10:25 PM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1600 regreasing
>
> Lickity-split that grease kit is already here.  I bought my AP1600 used. In the Greasing mounts instructions the last topic is : 1600GTO, 1100GTO, and Mach1GTO with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes.  How do I check to see if my mount has a Auto-Adjust Motor box?
>
> Cheers
> Mike
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

michael mccann

Thanks 

On Jan 5, 2022, at 11:32, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

You have the spring loaded (Auto-Adjust) motor box

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Jan 5, 2022 11:04 am

Cheers
> On Jan 4, 2022, at 12:47, George <George@...> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> Do the motor boxes have release levers on the right hand side?
>
> Regards,
>
> George
>
> George Whitney
> Astro-Physics, Inc.
> Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
> Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)
> Email:  george@...
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of michael mccann via groups.io
> Sent: Monday, January 3, 2022 10:25 PM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1600 regreasing
>
> Lickity-split that grease kit is already here.  I bought my AP1600 used. In the Greasing mounts instructions the last topic is : 1600GTO, 1100GTO, and Mach1GTO with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes.  How do I check to see if my mount has a Auto-Adjust Motor box?
>
> Cheers
> Mike
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

I wanted to tack on a quick question that everyone is probably tired of answering.   

For the first time in four or so years, my CARE FREE beautiful performance of my 1600 developed a pimple.   I have the old gear boxes.   It seems that a bolt on my dec gear became dislodged.  I tightened it and had some trouble adjusting the gear mesh.   I called George and he directed me to not follow the PDF on line but gave me a better way of performing the gear mesh, which included removal of the cap on the side of the box and manually adjusting the mesh by using the fingers between the mount and the box and try to get a goldie locks mesh.  Not too tight and not too loose.  The box was adjusted in and out In performing this mesh, I learned quite a bit about how everything worked.  Up to that point I was afraid of touching anything for fear of messing up my beautiful mount, or some spring under pressure popping out and hitting me in the eye.

After a few tries I think I have it well adjusted.   The motor was seizing up near park 3.   I believe it is now fixed.  If I had a dog, I would be not be a hard decision if someone held me at gun point and told me to give up my dog or my mount.  Take the dog.

Anyways, 

Are we ever going to see an upgrade available to switch to the self adjusting box?

Thanks in advance for any reply.  

Steven Panish

A writeup of George's improved procedure would be nice!  I always wonder if it's correct when I grease my ancient 1200.  Performance is good so I guess I've done OK, but I sure feel insecure about it.

Steve

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 1:40 PM Emilio J. Robau, P.E. <ejr@...> wrote:

I wanted to tack on a quick question that everyone is probably tired of answering.   

For the first time in four or so years, my CARE FREE beautiful performance of my 1600 developed a pimple.   I have the old gear boxes.   It seems that a bolt on my dec gear became dislodged.  I tightened it and had some trouble adjusting the gear mesh.   I called George and he directed me to not follow the PDF on line but gave me a better way of performing the gear mesh, which included removal of the cap on the side of the box and manually adjusting the mesh by using the fingers between the mount and the box and try to get a goldie locks mesh.  Not too tight and not too loose.  The box was adjusted in and out In performing this mesh, I learned quite a bit about how everything worked.  Up to that point I was afraid of touching anything for fear of messing up my beautiful mount, or some spring under pressure popping out and hitting me in the eye.

After a few tries I think I have it well adjusted.   The motor was seizing up near park 3.   I believe it is now fixed.  If I had a dog, I would be not be a hard decision if someone held me at gun point and told me to give up my dog or my mount.  Take the dog.

Anyways, 

Are we ever going to see an upgrade available to switch to the self adjusting box?

Thanks in advance for any reply.  

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

I ordered my re-greasing kit.   As soon as it arrives I will apply the grease.

After the recent adjustment in my dec gear mesh, the mount is tracking better than before for sure.  It seemed that there was a creep on the dec issue and it became bad enough to seize the gears due to the mesh problem and the loose bolt.  Anyways, the published procedure, where you park the mount at park 3 and then let it guide, and then turn down the speed to 64x, loosen the bolts that secure the flange, bang on the box, and then tighten the three bolts that secure the box on the dovetail while pushing on the 64x movement did not work well for me.

Instead I took off the cap plate on the end opposite to the power connection on the box, which exposed the gears, and then placed my fingers between the box and the mount and adjusted the box out on the dovetail and in a little until the gears rotate freely but there is no slop in the movement of the axes (dec or ra).  This process was much simpler, provided for more understanding to what was going on, and I think ultimately for me produced a very nice end result and tracking. 
capabilities.

My mount is older and I am beyond satisfied with the performance.

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

Steve, 

I am not an expert, but if you have very little to no play in dec and ra, and your mount is performing well, you can rest assured that you have done well.   Your insecurity is unfoundated.

Clear skies and smooth tracking to you.

michael mccann

Thanks
I bought the grease kit before actually opening the gear box, figuring that the previous owner might have New Mexico’s talcum powder size dust buildup inside. (His observatory was in one of the dustier and windier parts of the valley ). But alas, when I opened it up I saw it was virtually unused. So I’ll save the kit for another time. From what I heard he didn’t use it that much ( he had a few homes ) and he only used for visual.

Cheers

Mike