AP1600 Lost

Bob Enouen

Hi Ray,

My observatory-based AP1600 CP4 lost its location last night after a few days of no activity due to clouds.  It’s been tracking great using a 300+ point APPM model on 180 second unguided exposures with a RC 16” that has a 3250mm focal length.  I’m forwarding the APPC Pro logs and the NINA logs for the last two days for reference.

My question: I assume that if I physically release the RA/Dec gear boxes and move the mount to Park 3 and then Recal using Alt/Az in APPC Pro to that position this will get me close enough to then Recal using PlateSolving.  I do not have a hand control.  Is this correct?

Thanks, Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410

Dale Ghent

Use the N/S/E/W buttons, either in APCC or in NINA, to drive the mount and point the telescope at a clear patch of sky, then a manual plate solve+sync inside NINA from the Imaging -> Plate Solve window. The mount will then know how it's oriented. There's no need to undo clutches and manually sling the OTA around to a park position.

The main question is /how/ your mount got to disoriented. One of the ways this can happen is if you have the mount parked in a particular position and then command it to unpark, but from a different position instead of Last parked or from the actual park position it was parked at.

On Dec 9, 2021, at 08:05, Bob Enouen <renouen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ray,

My observatory-based AP1600 CP4 lost its location last night after a few days of no activity due to clouds. It’s been tracking great using a 300+ point APPM model on 180 second unguided exposures with a RC 16” that has a 3250mm focal length. I’m forwarding the APPC Pro logs and the NINA logs for the last two days for reference.

My question: I assume that if I physically release the RA/Dec gear boxes and move the mount to Park 3 and then Recal using Alt/Az in APPC Pro to that position this will get me close enough to then Recal using PlateSolving. I do not have a hand control. Is this correct?

Thanks, Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410
20211205-024656-2.0.0.2006.912.log
20211208-172149-2.0.0.2006.6568.log
ApccZip-BOB_ENOUEN-2021-12-09-061744.zip

Bob Enouen

Ahh! Thanks so much Dale! I’ll do that at the next clear sky night - which will be Sunday night here in Springboro, OH.

Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410

On Dec 9, 2021, at 8:12 AM, Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org> wrote:

[...]

To add, if the root cause for loss of orientation is still a mystery, another common cause is that the clock on your imaging computer has drifted substantially enough. This is evident if the loss of orientation appears to be on the RA axis only.

On Dec 9, 2021, at 08:46, Bob Enouen <renouen@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

michael mccann

Fast question, sort of related, when NINA first connects to APCC it always ask whether to sync mount-to.-NINA or NINA-to-mount. Which is preferred for one setup in observatory ?

On Dec 9, 2021, at 06:12, Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org> wrote:

Use the N/S/E/W buttons, either in APCC or in NINA, to drive the mount and point the telescope at a clear patch of sky, then a manual plate solve+sync inside NINA from the Imaging -> Plate Solve window. The mount will then know how it's oriented. There's no need to undo clutches and manually sling the OTA around to a park position.

Ray Gralak

Hi Bob,

What Dale suggests will work unless the pointing error is more than 5 degrees and "Prevent Errant Recals" is enabled in APCC's Advanced settings. If you disable "Prevent Errant RECALs", make sure to re-enable it after syncing!

BTW, if you manually move the mount to the Park 3 position and unpark from Park 3, the mount should be pointing within 5 degrees. Thus, when you do a RECAL to regain precise pointing you will not need to disable "Prevent errant RECALs".

-Ray

[...]

What I is happening is that you have a saved site in APCC and NINA has its own lat/long (and now elevation) settings under Options > General > Astrometry. The prompt you see is because the two differ by a large enough amoun, and this triggers NINA to ask which one you want to use as the source of truth.

If you select "NINA to Telescope", NINA will tell the ASCOM driver to use its coordinates. If you select "Telescope to NINA", NINA will overwrite the profile settings with what the ASCOM driver is claiming to be the lat/long (and, now, elevation.) If you choose "NINA to Telescope", I believe what will happen in the APCC case is that the ASCOM driver will accept the coordinates that NINA sends, but only for the lifetime of the driver as it'll always launch and initialize with the site setting you have designated in APCC's initialization settings.

What you want to do in this case is first ensure that your site settings in APCC are indeed what you want them to be (you're in an observatory, it's not moving anywhere!) and, when NINA prompts you, select "Telescope to NINA". This will sync APCC's lat/long into your NINA profile and, since they're now the same, you'll avoid being asked the next time you start NINA with that profile.

On Dec 9, 2021, at 09:04, michael mccann via groups.io <mmccawsprojects=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Fast question, sort of related, when NINA first connects to APCC it always ask whether to sync mount-to.-NINA or NINA-to-mount. Which is preferred for one setup in observatory ?
On Dec 9, 2021, at 06:12, Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org> wrote:

Use the N/S/E/W buttons, either in APCC or in NINA, to drive the mount and point the telescope at a clear patch of sky, then a manual plate solve+sync inside NINA from the Imaging -> Plate Solve window. The mount will then know how it's oriented. There's no need to undo clutches and manually sling the OTA around to a park position.

Dale Ghent

Ah yes, I forgot about "Prevent Errant RECALs" (I have that turned off in my setups because of all the testing I do with NINA, so the last time that has gotten in the way of things has faded from my memory.)

On Dec 9, 2021, at 09:53, Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

The clock may have gone back an hour without also changing the Daylight savings to Winter. Happened to me last night. Face with rolling eyes
Subsequent slews were off by 15 degrees in RA. Once I fixed the clock time, homed the mount, everything went back to normal.

Roland

To add, if the root cause for loss of orientation is still a mystery, another common cause is that the clock on your imaging computer has drifted substantially enough. This is evident if the loss of orientation appears to be on the RA axis only.

> On Dec 9, 2021, at 08:46, Bob Enouen <renouen@...> wrote:
>
> Ahh!  Thanks so much Dale!  I’ll do that at the next clear sky night - which will be Sunday night here in Springboro, OH.
>
> Bob
>

> Robert J. Enouen
> Cell 513-504-4410
>
>> On Dec 9, 2021, at 8:12 AM, Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:
>>

>> Use the N/S/E/W buttons, either in APCC or in NINA, to drive the mount and point the telescope at a clear patch of sky, then a manual plate solve+sync inside NINA from the Imaging -> Plate Solve window. The mount will then know how it's oriented. There's no need to undo clutches and manually sling the OTA around to a park position.
>>
>> The main question is /how/ your mount got to disoriented. One of the ways this can happen is if you have the mount parked in a particular position and then command it to unpark, but from a different position instead of Last parked or from the actual park position it was parked at.
>>

>>> On Dec 9, 2021, at 08:05, Bob Enouen <renouen@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ray,
>>>
>>> My observatory-based AP1600 CP4 lost its location last night after a few days of no activity due to clouds.  It’s been tracking great using a 300+ point APPM model on 180 second unguided exposures with a RC 16” that has a 3250mm focal length.  I’m forwarding the APPC Pro logs and the NINA logs for the last two days for reference.
>>>
>>> My question: I assume that if I physically release the RA/Dec gear boxes and move the mount to Park 3 and then Recal using Alt/Az in APPC Pro to that position this will get me close enough to then Recal using PlateSolving.  I do not have a hand control.  Is this correct?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bob
>>>

>>> Robert J. Enouen
>>> Cell 513-504-4410

Bob Enouen

The issue is resolved thanks to your help!  More details below:

- I physically moved it to Park 3, unparked from last position, and tried to use NINA to successfully plate solve but it would not sync because the mount was not tracking.

- Mount would not respond to the NSEW buttons or start tracking no matter what I tried.  An error code thrown was Fault Triggered: East Limit. I checked the 3D view and could see that the mount was displaying almost upside down despite my attempts to ReCal via the GoTo tab.

- I was finally able to resolve by going to the APPC - Meridian Tracking limits Explorer and after selecting the ‘West’ button clicked Go To Meridian. The mount then moved far enough away from the limit that I was able to start tracking, but I had to use the Stop Slew button before it really turned upside down.  I was then able to plate solve and sync in NINA. I’ve not yet established Meridian Limits and simply tell the mount to flip at the Meridian.

- I checked the logs and can see that the time was not an issue and it unparked from Last Position the night it failed so I’m not sure how I got stuck here, but am happy Ito have discovered another solution if it happens again.

Thanks again!
Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410

On Dec 9, 2021, at 09:53, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:

[...]

The mount is hitting an axis limit, which is separate from a Horizon or Meridian limit. The best solution is to go to the "Homing/Limits" tab in APCC and click the "Configure Home and Limits" button to have APCC reconfigure the mount's limits. You must reconfigure the limits after moving the mount manually with the clutches released.

-Ray

[...]

Thank you Ray.

Bob

Robert J. Enouen