AP1600 - Intermittent Loss of Connection

Jack Huerkamp

I have my AP1600 with CP4 connected to the observatory computer using a Serial cable and USB to Serial adapter.  I use SkyTools to connect to and control the mount.  Occasionally I get an error indicating that connection to the mount has been lost.  I re-establish the connection and all is fine.
Would using a CAT5 or CAT6 connection from the CP4 to the computer provide a  more reliable connection to the mount?
Can I have the mount connected to the computer using both a CAT cable and a serial cable?
If so, which connection takes precedence?

Yours truly,

Jack Huerkamp

Jack,

Reliability is more a function of how you set a system up, than of the connection method itself. In your observatory, you probably have an issue with something like a driver, faulty cable, or faulty adapter. In my opinion (and therefore completely open to disagreement!), there is no difference in reliability between USB, Serial and Ethernet, so long as you perform regular maintenance to your system and keep cables, adapters and drivers current. That said, there is no need to limit yourself with connecting a CP4; you can run commands through every port at the same time and the mount will be fine. APCC has a way to run a backup COM port, so you can do something like Ethernet + Serial in your observatory.

Liam

I have my AP1600 with CP4 connected to the observatory computer using a Serial cable and USB to Serial adapter.  I use SkyTools to connect to and control the mount.  Occasionally I get an error indicating that connection to the mount has been lost.  I re-establish the connection and all is fine.
Would using a CAT5 or CAT6 connection from the CP4 to the computer provide a  more reliable connection to the mount?
Can I have the mount connected to the computer using both a CAT cable and a serial cable?
If so, which connection takes precedence?

Yours truly,

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Liam,

I have to disassemble the scopes from the mount to do maintenance on the gears.  While down, I will run a CAT6 cable from the switch by the computer to the mount to have both ethernet and serial connections to the mount active.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack's Astro Accessories LLC
38388 Pine Street
Pearl River, LA 70452-5192
985-863-2165 (Home)
985-445-5063 (Cellular)
www.MallinCamUSA.com
MallinCamUSA@...

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:40 AM Liam Plybon <liam@...> wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a plan! Good luck!

Liam

I have to disassemble the scopes from the mount to do maintenance on the gears.  While down, I will run a CAT6 cable from the switch by the computer to the mount to have both ethernet and serial connections to the mount active.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack's Astro Accessories LLC
38388 Pine Street