Ap1200 / TheSkyX jog runaway

Mike Dodd

On 2/5/2021 11:51 AM, Allen Gilchrist via groups.io wrote:
OK, I'm trying, but I have not been able to find where to click on the
https://www.astro-physics.com/ascom page to download the driver.
Try this: <https://www.astro-physics.com/ascom>

--- Mike

Mike Dodd

On 2/5/2021 11:51 AM, Allen Gilchrist via groups.io wrote:
OK, I'm trying, but I have not been able to find where to click on the
https://www.astro-physics.com/ascom page to download the driver.
Oops! Pressed Send too soon. Sorry.

Look for a link on this page: <https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?products/software/ascom/ascom>

Howard Hedlund

Hi Gents,

I talked with Dan Bisque yesterday.  They have a bug in their mount control that will be fixed in the next daily build release.  Keep you TSX current!

Allen Gilchrist

True to my previous experiences, I haven't been able to get ASCOM to work.  I downloaded ASCOMPlatform65SP1.exe and installed that.  Then I downloaded AstroPhysics_V2_Setup_5.30.10.exe and ran that.  Icons appeared on my desktop, and I was able to setup the telescope mount and run the APJog utility.  When I opened TheSkyX, however, there was no Astro-Physics GTO V2 Mount listed under either ASCOM or under Astro-Physics.  Under Astro-Physics, I found 1200 GTO and GTO Model Mount.  I can control the mount with either of these, but neither of them appears to be using ASCOM.  When I run APJog Utility, an AP_ASCOM log file is created, but not when I connect to the mount with TSX.  I found something on the ASCOM-Standards/FAQs site about a need for a special TeleAPIv5.94 driver for TheSky, but I think that relates to older versions of the program.  I'm missing something here.  Can someone help?

Bill Long

The driver you attempted to use in TSX was their x2 plugin. Select ASCOM Mount. Then go into the settings for ASCOM Mount and you should get the usual ASCOM chooser. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Allen Gilchrist via groups.io <gilchrist.allen@...>
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 7:51 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Ap1200 / TheSkyX jog runaway

True to my previous experiences, I haven't been able to get ASCOM to work.  I downloaded ASCOMPlatform65SP1.exe and installed that.  Then I downloaded AstroPhysics_V2_Setup_5.30.10.exe and ran that.  Icons appeared on my desktop, and I was able to setup the telescope mount and run the APJog utility.  When I opened TheSkyX, however, there was no Astro-Physics GTO V2 Mount listed under either ASCOM or under Astro-Physics.  Under Astro-Physics, I found 1200 GTO and GTO Model Mount.  I can control the mount with either of these, but neither of them appears to be using ASCOM.  When I run APJog Utility, an AP_ASCOM log file is created, but not when I connect to the mount with TSX.  I found something on the ASCOM-Standards/FAQs site about a need for a special TeleAPIv5.94 driver for TheSky, but I think that relates to older versions of the program.  I'm missing something here.  Can someone help?

Ray Gralak

Allen,

There is a section in the driver's help file that shows how to setup SkyX. Here is a link to the same information online:

https://www.gralak.com/apdriver/help/index.html?using_the_driver_with_theskyx_.htm

Hint: With the driver window active, you can bring up context-sensitive help by clicking one of the tiny "?" buttons in the upper right corner of many of the group boxes. Also, you can press the F1 key to bring up the driver's help window.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Allen Gilchrist via groups.io
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 7:51 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

True to my previous experiences, I haven't been able to get ASCOM to work. I downloaded
ASCOMPlatform65SP1.exe and installed that. Then I downloaded AstroPhysics_V2_Setup_5.30.10.exe and ran
that. Icons appeared on my desktop, and I was able to setup the telescope mount and run the APJog utility.
When I opened TheSkyX, however, there was no Astro-Physics GTO V2 Mount listed under either ASCOM or
under Astro-Physics. Under Astro-Physics, I found 1200 GTO and GTO Model Mount. I can control the mount
with either of these, but neither of them appears to be using ASCOM. When I run APJog Utility, an AP_ASCOM
log file is created, but not when I connect to the mount with TSX. I found something on the ASCOM-
Standards/FAQs site about a need for a special TeleAPIv5.94 driver for TheSky, but I think that relates to older
versions of the program. I'm missing something here. Can someone help?

Roland Christen

I simply choose ASCOM under telescope setup. No need to specify a mount. See screen shot below:
Rolando

From: Allen Gilchrist via groups.io <gilchrist.allen@...>
Sent: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 9:51 pm

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Luca Marinelli

After you choose ASCOM under telescope setup you have to open Settings in the Mount Setup menu and choose the AP ASCOM driver. Make sure that the correct COM port is selected and you should be all set. This needs to be done only once.

Luca

On Feb 6, 2021, at 11:42 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

I simply choose ASCOM under telescope setup. No need to specify a mount. See screen shot below:
Rolando

<dummyfile.0.part>

From: Allen Gilchrist via groups.io <gilchrist.allen@...>
Sent: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 9:51 pm

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Allen Gilchrist

Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Mike summarized your message for me, and I was able to get the ASCOM driver to work this afternoon.  Unfortunately the run away after a Jog command from TSX still occurs.  I'll have to wait on a fix from Software Bisque.  In the mean time, I now have the option of using either the native AP1200 or the ASCOM methods of connecting to my mount.  A friend has recommended PHD2 for autoguiding, and there may be some advantages in using ASCOM for the mount connection with that program.  

Allen