Ap1200 / TheSkyX jog runaway

Mike Dodd

I'm not sure if I should ask here or in the Bisque support forum, but I'll try here first.

Tonight I'm running some autoguider tests with my AP1200 connected to TheSkyX via ASCOM.

I slewed to a star in TSX, but it wasn't centered, so I used the Jog controls in TSX to center it. I first jogged right 10 arcmin, but when the star was no longer in the finder scope, I tried to Job left 30 arcmin. TSX told me to wait until the previous job completed.

That's when I noticed the scope was still moving westward, and had crossed the meridian to a CW-up orientation. I canceled the jog and slewed back to the star, and jogged left. It looked like the scope moved eastward, but then began moving slowly westward. I canceled again, and slewed back to the star. I tried a third jog with the same resut.

I gave up, and centered the star with the GTO keypad, then did a Recal in TheSkyX.

After each slew completed, the AP1200 behaved normally.

This is the first time I've seen a jog run away. Does anyone have any idea what happened, and how to prevent it?

Thanks.

-- Mike

Mike Dodd
http://astronomy.mdodd.com
Louisa County, Virginia USA

Roland Christen

The way the mount is controlled, an application (SkyX) sends a "Move" command and then a "Quit-Move" command to stop the move when you let go of the button. If the "Quit-Move" is not sent, or gets lost because of bad connection from your computer to mount, then the mount will continue to move as instructed. You might check your USB cable for bad connection.

[...]

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
ap-gto-digest@...
ap-gto-fullfeatured@...

Mike Dodd

On 8/29/2018 10:57 PM, chris1011@aol.com [ap-gto] wrote:

The way the mount is controlled, an application (SkyX) sends a "Move"
command and then a "Quit-Move" command to stop the move when you let go
of the button. If the "Quit-Move" is not sent, or gets lost because of
bad connection from your computer to mount, then the mount will continue
to move as instructed. You might check your USB cable for bad connection.
The interface is RS-232 serial, not USB, but I'll check the connectors.

To me, it seems more likely TheSkyX is doing something bad, since the mount moved WEST (right) after an EAST (left) jog completed.

I'll post on the SkyX forum and see if anyone there can explain this odd behavior.

Thanks, Rolando.

-- Mike

Mike Dodd
http://astronomy.mdodd.com
Louisa County, Virginia USA

Mike Dodd

On 8/29/2018 10:57 PM, chris1011@aol.com [ap-gto] wrote:
You might check your USB cable for bad connection.
One followup question.... If I use the AP1200 GTO keypad to center a target, then do a Recalibrate in the TheSkyX, will that update the AP1200's sky model? Or must I use the SkyX Jog controls if the mount is controlled by SkyX?

--- Mike

Roland Christen

One followup question.... If I use the AP1200 GTO keypad to center a
target, then do a Recalibrate in the TheSkyX, will that update the
AP1200's sky model? Or must I use the SkyX Jog controls if the mount is
controlled by SkyX?
You can always jog the mount with any device including the keypad, ASCOM driver or other applications. A jog move does not change the entry in the original GoTo program, it simply changes the position of the mount. When you then do a Recal using the original entry from the SkyX, you are telling the mount that this new centered position is now equal to the original GoTo entry. This is the way all mounts do Recal/Sync.

I hope that was clear.

On 8/30/2018 11:38 AM, chris1011@aol.com [ap-gto] wrote:
You can _always_ jog the mount with any device including the keypad,
ASCOM driver or other applications. A jog move does not change the entry
in the original GoTo program, it simply changes the position of the
mount. When you then do a Recal using the original entry from the SkyX,
you are telling the mount that this new centered position is now equal
to the original GoTo entry. This is the way _all_ mounts do Recal/Sync.

I hope that was clear.
Crystal clear (as I wish my sky was). Thank you very much. No need to use the TSC jog buttons, since I'll have the keypad in my hand as I peer into the finder scope.

--- Mike

ccoop974

Hi Mike,

My AP 1200 started the same exact behavior a couple of weeks ago. I have never seen this before.

I am not sure if its related but; I had downloaded the latest daily build sometime before this started.

Interestingly, using the "move Telescope" buttons in the Sky did not create this runaway slew.

                                          Steve

Mike Dodd

On 8/31/2018 5:41 PM, ccoop974@aol.com [ap-gto] wrote:

Hi Mike,

My AP 1200 started the same exact behavior a couple of weeks ago. I have
never seen this before.
I never saw it either in the 5-6 times I used Jog previously.

I am not sure if its related but; I had downloaded the latest daily
build sometime before this started.
My latest Daily Build is "TheSkyX Pro DBI Version 10.5.0.exe" dated 6/12/18. This doesn't sound very "daily" to me. Do the contents change even if the version number and date don't? I have installed that one, but probably haven't used the Jog buttons until this week.

Interestingly, using the "move Telescope" buttons in the Sky did not
create this runaway slew.
I don't think I've used those buttons -- only the Jog buttons.

No matter.... I can use the AP1200 keypad to center the star in the finder scope, then do a Recalibrate in SkyX to adjust the mount's sky model.

-- Mike

Mike Dodd
http://astronomy.mdodd.com
Louisa County, Virginia USA

Stuart Heggie <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Mike, the filename doesn't change but if you check the Help->About TheSkyX you'll see your actual Daily Build number there and can compare to what the latest version is on the Bisque downloads page.

Stuart

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 at 19:14, Mike Dodd mike@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

On 8/31/2018 5:41 PM, ccoop974@... [ap-gto] wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> My AP 1200 started the same exact behavior a couple of weeks ago. I have
> never seen this before.

I never saw it either in the 5-6 times I used Jog previously.

> I am not sure if its related but; I had downloaded the latest daily
> build sometime before this started.

My latest Daily Build is "TheSkyX Pro DBI Version 10.5.0.exe" dated
6/12/18. This doesn't sound very "daily" to me. Do the contents change
even if the version number and date don't? I have installed that one,
but probably haven't used the Jog buttons until this week.

> Interestingly, using the "move Telescope" buttons in the Sky did not
> create this runaway slew.

I don't think I've used those buttons -- only the Jog buttons.

No matter.... I can use the AP1200 keypad to center the star in the
finder scope, then do a Recalibrate in SkyX to adjust the mount's sky model.

-- Mike

Mike Dodd
http://astronomy.mdodd.com
Louisa County, Virginia USA

Allen Gilchrist

This is interesting.  Apparently this issue is not new, nor is it completely resolved.  I experienced the same thing last night.  I'm using the latest TSX Imaging Edition, and tried to use a jog command to center a star on my CCD chip.  The mount ran off to the west.  Interestingly, the motion buttons in the autoguider window and the move buttons in the telescope window of TSX work just fine.  I'm in contact with Software Bisque.

Roland Christen

Jog buttons work like this: Press on the E button and the software sends a MoveEast command. As long as you hold the button down, no other command is sent and there is no traffic between the software and the mount. When you let go of the button, the software in SkyX is supposed to send a STOP command. If that command is not sent for some reason, the mount will continue to move. If you are holding the button down and you yank the USB connection to the mount, there is nothing to tell the mount to stop moving, and it will continue on its path.

If you use APCC buttons instead of SkyX, they will work in a fail-safe manner.