AP1200 rotating pier adapter

Mike Dodd

On 9/17/2021 8:11 PM, Luke Dodd wrote:
What is available to mount the AP1200 onto a
permanent pier.
I have a 1200, and use the SPA Standard Pier Adapter <https://www.astro-physics.com/900spa> to mount it on my concrete pier. The pier is 12" diameter, but reduces to 10" at the top, and the SPA attaches to 5/8" threaded steel rods embedded in that.

This link: <http://astronomy.mdodd.com/observatory.html#PierBolts> illustrates and describes what I did.

One note: The cap screws attaching the SPA to the rods are 1/4"-20. I drilled a #11 hole in one end of each rod, then tapped that for 1/4"-20. This hole should be coaxial with the rod, so a vise on a drill press is helpful. I'm fortunate to have a mini-lathe, so I chucked the rod in the lathe, and easily drilled coaxial holes.

My SPA is circa 2005, and I don't know if the current one is the same.

--- Mike
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Luke Dodd

Hi Mike,