AP1100AE Unexpected park?

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

New AP1100AE and novice imager so I am pretty sure I caused this, but would like to understand how and cannot find it in the logs...

Woke up a hour or so before dawn, rolled over and connected the phone to check on how things were going.  Guiding had gotten bad (ok, my standards have gone up, guiding had degraded to around 0.4" RMS).  It looked to be chasing something.  I poked around and realized I had the pointing/tracking corrections on even though I did not build a model; it was running a very small model from a prior night after quite a lot of changes and setup movement.  Mea culpa.  Turned off pointing and tracking corrections, watched for 5 minutes or so - better.

Was about to go back to sleep when the familiar and awful "star lost" ding started.  Long story shortened: The mount was parked. Stars streaking.  Nowhere near meridian or horizon.

I unparked, recentered, started everything up again and it is running great, guiding back at 0.3" now after about 30 minutes.

I've been staring at logs and cannot figure out why it parked.  I see in APCC logs the unpark dialog and process, but nothing about parking (I searched for ":Me#" which is what the documentation says does a park, also the "*PARK" command I've seen when it parks in a position).  I also looked at NINA's log and see nothing other than the star lost stuff.  Oddly the AP_ASCOM log ended hours earlier, not sure why.  There's no indication of a timeout that I can find (I'm ethernet cable connected, NUC is right by the mount).

I'd like to think I hit a button.  There's no park button visible on the screen I had up, but there is an emergency stop; the apcc log doesn't have "stop" or "emergency" in it anywhere though (no clue what to look for, and it's imaging so don't want to try it).

What could I have done that caused a park?

What can I look for in the logs (which?) to find out what happened?   At this point it's mostly curiosity, since I just by the fact I was changing things (and on a cell phone at that time) I am sure it was something i did.  But I would like to know what.  And learn in the process more about debugging through the logs.

Linwood

Ray Gralak

Hi Linwood,

I've been staring at logs and cannot figure out why it parked. I see in APCC logs the unpark dialog and
process, but nothing about parking (I searched for ":Me#" which is what the documentation says does a park,
also the "*PARK" command I've seen when it parks in a position).
There are various ways that the mount can park, but ":Me#" is not one of them. That command moves the mount East at the current move rate, which is usually the guide rate. Also, be careful trying to decipher the commands starting with "*". Those are commands from the AP V2 ASCOM driver to APCC, not to the mount. When APCC gets one of those commands, it interprets them and can do anything from a simple response to invoking a multi-state operation such as parking.

If you want to zip and post a link to the log files I will take a look. Or, if you desire to look for yourself, you can search for the reponses to the :GOS# command. The mount is parked when the first character of the response turns to a "P",

Oddly the AP_ASCOM log ended hours earlier, not sure why.
To save disk space, the ASCOM driver will stop logging a few minutes after the mount parks.

-Ray

Ray wrote:

[...]

I'm tearing down now to bring it in, will look later after I get some sleep. Thanks for the quick response.

Note my search for :Me# was based on the last paragraph in this document:

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/command_lang.htm

But I'll look as described, and if not found will send off to you. Thanks.

Oddly the AP_ASCOM log ended hours earlier, not sure why.
To save disk space, the ASCOM driver will stop logging a few minutes after the mount parks.
Hmmm... so the ASCOM log ended about 10pm or so, and this all occurred at 5:56am. Does the logging not restart when the mount unparks? I did park it last night, as soon as I started my first slew I realized I had not balanced it, so hit emergency stop which does a park. Balanced (it was close), unparked, and the night continued, but the ascom log stopped around then?

R Botero

Check the actions you have set when your mount hits your horizon limits for example. One of them is to Park.

Also if there was a disconnection between APCC and the mount for a pre-determined length of time (typically 1 min) one of the options is for the mount to Park. I have this set in APCC to Park 2. If for example your PC restarts or crashes the mount will park itself and there will be nothing to show in the log (as far as I understand).

Roberto

Ray Gralak

Note my search for :Me# was based on the last paragraph in this document:

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/command_lang.htm
The title on that page says this is for mounts "Shipped prior to 11-13-00".

Just to be clear, that's November 13th, 2000 -- almost 21 years ago. :-)

The command to park the mount is ":KA#" in all firmware that can be used with APCC.

Additionally, the mount may auto-park if you disconnect from APCC for a short period, or if the mount loses power. And, if you double-click the park status field in the very lower left of APCC's main window, it will toggle park.

-Ray

Ray said:

The title on that page says this is for mounts "Shipped prior to 11-13-00".
Just to be clear, that's November 13th, 2000 -- almost 21 years ago. :-)
Sigh... the downside of Google, you land mid-page and never even look at the top. ☹

The command to park the mount is ":KA#" in all firmware that can be used with APCC.
Additionally, the mount may auto-park if you disconnect from APCC for a short period, or if the mount loses power. And, if you double-click the park status field in the very lower left of APCC's main window, it will toggle park.
Thanks. Everything's put away, but not firing it up to look until I am operating on more sleep. Clouds and testing a new imaging train kept me awake way too much of the night.

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Thanks. Everything's put away, but not firing it up to look until I am operating on more sleep.
OK, I lied, curiosity got the better of rational steps like sleeping. Found the :KA# (at 5:46:33.247) but have no idea where it came from.

Also, the ASCOM log is weird, it jumps from 20:03 to 6:29 at an unpark, but that's an unpark I did after the sequence completed and parked so I could do flats. It's way later than my unpark done about 5:56am to fix the park that occurred then. Weird. But including it.

So here's the logs. Again -- I'm pretty sure I hit some button or did something, too big a coincidence I was changing things and it parked -- but odd that there was a several minute delay, or seemed to be. I would be very curious what I did.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LCk-aief4JtknRSBNTzKHQwWC-SRiaG4/view?usp=sharing

I also reviewed the rather detailed NINA logs at that time. It was in the middle of a 300s exposure. The exposure started at 5:46:07 and completed at 5:51:11, so it really was not doing anything at the point it parked. PHD2 was guiding at the time.

Now sleep.... 😊

Ray Gralak

Linwood,

From the log file, I eliminated all possibilities except for manual double-clicking of the park-status on APCC's status bar, which matches the expected command sequence from that action (two Q commands and the KA).

So, is it possible you had double-clicked the park field in the status bar?

-Ray

[...]

Ray Gralak wrote:

From the log file, I eliminated all possibilities except for manual double-clicking of the park-status on APCC's status bar, which matches the expected
command sequence from that action (two Q commands and the KA).

So, is it possible you had double-clicked the park field in the status bar?
Well, there's some line from Sherlock Holms about what remains after you eliminate all other possibilities being true, so it must be.

First, I didn’t even realize the bottom bar was active, I thought it was status only, so I learned something. At that time I was on a Android phone on an RDP client, where I drag fingers around to zoom into various parts of the screen. It's certainly possible I touched that bar, it's even possible the result was a click or double click though that usually takes more effort as you drag a pointer onto the thing you want to click, then tap it. But it's awkward working on a tiny screen and who knows. And I was half asleep.

I think I also figured out the half empty ASCOM logs, though not entirely. I keep the ASCOM driver set to default to PARK 2, since that's where a safety park will send it from NINA if it detects rain (or at end of sequence), aiming the OTA sideways not up. I keep the APCC set to Park 3, as that's where I load and unload. That means when I manually park, I do it from APCC, which I guess is rather invisible to ASCOM?

So my GUESS is that ASCOM figured out at 10pm that I parked, stopped logging. After 6am NINA parked it at the end of a sequence through ASCOM. I then unparked it in NINA to run another sequence for flats, and it started logging. What I don't quite understand is the 10pm stop was definitely from clicking on a slew-stop (I think) or emergency stop (possibly) in APCC when I realized I needed to go balance things. So not quite sure how ASCOM figured out it was parked.

Anyway, I think the logging being off was from me jumping the line, as it were, and using APCC directly so ASCOM got confused and left logging off even though it was running for hours live and unparked.

I do rather like having two different default park positions, at first that seemed redundant, but it's quite handy.

Thanks for playing Sherlock for my mystery. I learned several things... all this actually started by not remembering to turn off a questionable model, so I got to see how that affected guiding as well. My guess is that smaller model didn’t even cover the section of sky I was in by 5am -- I haven't had a chance to do the whole, entire, cloud free sky since I got the mount. Dry season is coming, I hope....

Thanks again,

Linwood