AP1100 coming, least hassle plate solver?

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

I have an AP1100GTO-AE coming hopefully very soon.  My understanding for modeling is I will need software to build a model with APPM, and that I need some combination of Pinpoint, TSX, SGP plus camera control (though it appears so long as I have ASCOM that's covered, it's a ASI6200MM I would be using).  If it matters I got the RAPAS, no keypad, and will be using it with setup and teardown nightly.

I have a MyT now I will be selling, so while I have TSX it will go with the mount.

I use NINA for session manager and hope/plan to keep doing so.  My understanding is one day, maybe, APPM will support ASTAP but not yet, and probably not before I need something.

What is the shortest and simplest path to satisfy APPM with the understanding I really do not care to use that path for imaging.  I.e. if I buy TXS, SGP or Pinpoint it will just be for APPM, and not for regular use during imaging.  At least that's my hope, that I can do that.

I could keep TSX for a while but it's not worth it, since I plan to sell the mount. With no release date announced for ASTAP I think I need to plan on having to buy one of those three.

I realize I could get trials, experiment with all of them once I get the mount and see how they work, but my guess is 99% of their features are irrelevant if all I want is plate solving.

So I'm hoping you folks can save me some trouble -- what's the shortest, simplest path here.  I think all of these are in the few hundred dollar range, so in the scope of things it is not about cost, it is that I have so many other things to learn getting started I just want the simplest solution.

Suggestions?

Linwood

Ray Gralak

Hi Linwood,

Support for ASTAP and NINA in APPM have been finished. A few details need to be sorted out before it will be released, but it should not be much longer.

-Ray

[...]

R Botero

You only need your ASCOM camera driver and a plate solver for APPM to work. PinPoint may be the easiest solution. That is what I use when creating models (I have a Moravian G4) and have used APPM for both an 1100GTO and a 1600GTO.

I expect NINA will work with PinPoint for your imaging needs. I use it with Voyager for mine. In fact, PinPoint has been my astrometric engine since I was using it with MaxIM v3 (or 4?).

It will be great when APPM works with other (stand alone) plate solvers but for the moment PinPoint may be the simplest route.
Enjoy that 1100!

Roberto

R Botero

Great news Ray! I’m glad my post is already out of date in this case 😂

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Support for ASTAP and NINA in APPM have been finished. A few details need to be sorted
out before it will be released, but it should not be much longer.
That's great!

Meaning in time? Or if you need a beta tester, I'll happily apply. 😊

But you know, when all those boxes show up blocking my front door, my impatience gene will kick in. It's awful, but there's no vaccination for impatience yet. 😊 😊

Linwood

W Hilmo

Both SGP and NINA also work with PlateSolve2, which is available standalone from Planewave for free.

Regarding the ASCOM driver, I tried it a few weeks ago with my QSI690 and it did not work.  I’ve not reported it yet because I haven’t had any time since to do a preliminary investigation.  I suspect that the problem is that I bin the camera 2x2 for plate solves (because it has slow downloads of full resolution images).  I remember that a couple of years ago, I found a problem where APPM would not plate solve through SGP with 2x2 binning, and Ray fixed that.  I believe that the same problem might exist in the current APPM when plate solving with the ASCOM driver.

In the meantime, I’ve found that the best way for me to use APPM is with MaxIm/DL.  I’ve not used it for a few years now for my automated imaging, but it’s still my favorite tool for setup and testing, etc.  It is bulletproof reliable.  It has a built-in light version of Pinpoint, so it can plate solve out of the box (assuming you download a catalog for free).  Once synced to the sky, it’s “point telescope here” function works great.  I like how it easily reports FWHM and roundness of stars just by putting the mouse over them.  It’s large size report of FWHM makes manual focusing easy.  And just about anything that connects to image capture software can work with it.

Most of the other packages that I’ve tried, mainly SGP and NINA are more focused on automated collection of images and don’t have as nice a workflow for ad-hoc taking, saving and analyzing single images.

You only need your ASCOM camera driver and a plate solver for APPM to work. PinPoint may be the easiest solution. That is what I use when creating models (I have a Moravian G4) and have used APPM for both an 1100GTO and a 1600GTO.

I expect NINA will work with PinPoint for your imaging needs. I use it with Voyager for mine. In fact, PinPoint has been my astrometric engine since I was using it with MaxIM v3 (or 4?).

It will be great when APPM works with other (stand alone) plate solvers but for the moment PinPoint may be the simplest route.
Enjoy that 1100!

Roberto

Jeffc

I understand you want to use NINA, tho you also mentioned SGP.

Fwiw I use APPM with SGP and ASTAP, and it seems to work fine. It takes about 35 minutes to run a 71 (iirc) point model (which i run during astronomical twilight before it’s really dark).

I suppose this would require switching to SGP for APPM, then shutting that down and running the imaging session with NINA.

On Jun 26, 2021, at 10:24 AM, ap@captivephotons.com wrote:

My understanding is one day, maybe, APPM will support ASTAP but not yet, and probably not before I need something.

Ray Gralak

Hi Wade,

Regarding the ASCOM driver, I tried it a few weeks ago with my QSI690 and it did not work. I’ve not reported it yet
because I haven’t had any time since to do a preliminary investigation. I suspect that the problem is that I bin the
camera 2x2 for plate solves (because it has slow downloads of full resolution images). I remember that a couple
of years ago, I found a problem where APPM would not plate solve through SGP with 2x2 binning, and Ray fixed
that. I believe that the same problem might exist in the current APPM when plate solving with the ASCOM driver.
What doesn't work? The binned image doesn't get created? Or, the plate solve of the image fails?

-Ray

Wayne Hixson

Great. Love ASTAP, almost always instant solutions.

Wayne

On Jun 26, 2021, at 11:36 AM, R Botero via groups.io <rbotero@...> wrote:

Great news Ray! I’m glad my post is already out of date in this case 😂

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

I understand you want to use NINA, tho you also mentioned SGP.
I mentioned it as one of the three tools documented as required.

Fwiw I use APPM with SGP and ASTAP, and it seems to work fine.
It takes about 35 minutes to run a 71 (iirc) point model (which i
run during astronomical twilight before it’s really dark).
Good to know.

I suppose this would require switching to SGP for APPM, then shutting
that down and running the imaging session with NINA.
Exactly. I do that with TSX (shutting down the camera side) when I switch to NINA after running tPoint. I'm assuming APPM is similar, just looking for what the most straightforward solution will be for just that aspect.

Unless I get lucky and timing works out!

W Hilmo

There was an error message. I don't remember it, and was in the field when it occurred and didn't make a note of it at the time. With limited time at that site, I just switched to another piece of camera software, probably Maxim. I remember that the error message referenced pixel coordinates, which is why I think that it might be related to binning the camera 2x2.

I was planning on reproducing it at home and digging a bit deeper, and was going to do that before reporting it. I mentioned it here, due to the mention of using the ASCOM driver in APPM, and in case someone else encounters it. And since problems seem to happen in groups (at least for me) the computer that I was using in the field failed and could not be restarted when I got home from that trip. I have a new computer nearly fully provisioned and ready to go, but have been slowed by lots of family things going on.

I hope to be going again before the next new moon and will give a much more precise description of the issue then.

Regarding the ASCOM driver, I tried it a few weeks ago with my QSI690
and it did not work. I’ve not reported it yet because I haven’t had
any time since to do a preliminary investigation. I suspect that the
problem is that I bin the camera 2x2 for plate solves (because it has
slow downloads of full resolution images). I remember that a couple of years ago, I found a problem where APPM would not plate solve through SGP with 2x2 binning, and Ray fixed that. I believe that the same problem might exist in the current APPM when plate solving with the ASCOM driver.
What doesn't work? The binned image doesn't get created? Or, the plate solve of the image fails?

-Ray

Dale Ghent

On Jun 26, 2021, at 14:46, W Hilmo <y.groups@hilmo.net> wrote:

[...]

So I have a Plan(TM) to improve the quality of life here.

NINA 1.11 has the new Advanced Sequencer and, with it, a new plugin system. The plugin architecture is based on MEF and anyone can write one using the exported NINA frameworks that are on nuget. The plugin system is intended to allow people to create functionality that can be used in Advanced Sequencer as a sequence instruction, trigger, condition, or any other current or future type of thingy that Advanced Sequencer implements.

This weekend, I made a plugin that runs APPM from within Advanced Sequencer. It will depend on the upcoming APCC 1.9 release. Here is an annotated screenshot of how this looks:

https://i.imgur.com/AZR2cjd.png

With APPM talking through NINA to get images, this means you can keep the camera connected in NINA even if it's being driven by a native/direct driver. Since APPM 1.9 will also be able to use ASTAP, it can now also plate solve using a freely-available app. With these two features, we can now have automated and unattended APPM model runs be done as a part of a NINA sequence. For NINA users, this completely obviates the need to run APPM under a different software stack (say, SGPro or TheSkyX) and the manual toil involved in switching things between the that and NINA.

There's still some kinks to work out and some testing to be done, but I expect this plugin to be available in the NINA 1.11 plugin repository (which is also a new thing) shortly after APCC 1.9 is released.

I'd like to extend a huge thanks to Ray for his patience and help in supporting NINA and ASTAP in APPM and I hope that automation such as this helps people consider using pointing models, or to use them more regularly.

/dale

Dale that seems quite impressive, thanks for the details

--
Brian

Brian Valente

W Hilmo

This is outstanding! I'm really looking forward to this.

[...]

Ok, so I have the system up and running again and was able to reproduce the problem.

If I connect to the camera via ASCOM, and set binning to 2, then it fails to take a picture and gives the following error::

----------
ASCOM CCD Expose Failed(1): NumX set - '6776' is an invalid value. The valid range is 1 to 3388.
----------

If I set binning to 1x1, then it successfully takes the image. It failed to solve, but that's likely related to my plate solver. I'm using TheSkyX (until ASTAP is available as a direct selection in APPM) and I probably need to tweak the image link settings, although TheSkyX solves fine if I'm using MaxIm/DL as the capture program. MaxIm also works fine if I bin 2x2.

Note that the valid range mentioned in the error message is the camera's native resolution, binned 1x1. This seems to be very similar to the problem that I was seeing a few years ago with SGP. The difference then is that the obvious symptom was that the image never appeared in SGP, and I had to go to the logs to see the error message. In this case, the error message pops up on the screen.

Also, I do have some feedback for using ASCOM as the capture software. The APPM camera image viewer renders the image at 100%, which is far too large for my monitor's resolution (my observatory computer is 1920x1080). I don't see any way to automatically scale the image. Actually, I don't see any way to manually scale the image either. I need to use scroll bars to pan, in order to see it. The viewer also doesn't appear to do an automatic screen stretch. There is a slider to adjust the gamma, but it would be nice if it auto selects a decent stretch. Finally, the timer that displays during capture, download and solving stops just before the exposure is complete, and then nothing happens on screen until the solution is completed (in my case, with an error from TheSkyX, as above). When I use MaxIm as the capture software, the timer runs continuously until it completes.

Thanks,
-Wade

[...]

Ron Kramer

YAY!   thanks RAY!   been patiently waiting and watching.   I did notice a option in nina to use SGP SDK...
excited to try it.

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 2:30 PM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
Hi Linwood,

Support for ASTAP and NINA in APPM have been finished. A few details need to be sorted out before it will be released, but it should not be much longer.

-Ray

Ron Kramer

I understand you want to use NINA, tho you also mentioned SGP.

Fwiw I use APPM with SGP and ASTAP, and it seems to work fine

But we don't. I deleted SGP and don't want to configure it or platesolve2 again.  Times change and both of those programs are severely outdated.

ASTAP is free and 1/10,000th  the time that PLATESOLVE2 requires to solve.  NINA vs SGP goes without saying.

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 3:03 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:
I understand you want to use NINA, tho you also mentioned SGP.

Fwiw I use APPM with SGP and ASTAP, and it seems to work fine.   It takes about 35 minutes to run a 71 (iirc) point model (which i run during astronomical twilight before it’s really dark).

I suppose this would require switching to SGP for APPM, then shutting that down and running the imaging session with NINA.
> On Jun 26, 2021, at 10:24 AM, ap@... wrote:
>
> My understanding is one day, maybe, APPM will support ASTAP but not yet, and probably not before I need something.

Alex

Hello Linwood,

This is kind of a side note. Initially, I personally had trouble with getting any of the plate solvers to work quickly with my main camera and scope.  My setup includes the AP1100, 130GTX, QUADTCC and a ZWO ASI 2600MC camera.

What I discovered after hours of tweaking settings to improve performance in TSX, ASTAP, etc. is my viewing site has a lot of light pollution. Now, I use a quad band narrow filter with the main OSC camera with 12 second exposures and all of the plate solvers work very quickly (Usually 2 to 8 seconds) with this combination without endless tweaking. It appears the severe light pollution was negatively impacting the plate solving process.

Also, my guided exposures at 330 to 360 second look much better with the quad band narrow filter. Saves a lot of time imaging too. All four narrow bands at the same time.

Best,
Alex

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

  • This is kind of a side note. Initially, I personally had trouble with getting any of the plate solvers to work quickly with my main camera and scope.  My setup includes the AP1100, 130GTX, QUADTCC and a ZWO ASI 2600MC camera.

  • What I discovered after hours of tweaking settings to improve performance in TSX, ASTAP, etc. is my viewing site has a lot of light pollution. Now, I use a quad band narrow filter with the main OSC camera with 12 second exposures and all of the plate solvers work very quickly (Usually 2 to 8 seconds) with this combination without endless tweaking. It appears the severe light pollution was negatively impacting the plate solving process.

Thanks, Alex.  I’ve done a lot of plate solving with TSX (in tPoint) and with ASTAP in NINA.  So far both with the 4” refractor and C11 I’ve had no real trouble getting solving to work.  Maybe it’s the mono camera that helps.  If I recall I’m at about 2 sec in tPoint.  But both solve very quickly and even at 2800mm rarely have trouble.

My hope is I can get APPM to work as well as quickly as tPoint with NINA.  I’m hoping that beta I hear is out there is progressing nicely!  Dale’s work has me now thinking it’s just around the corner!

Linwood

Alex

That sounds exciting! Hoping the beta progresses quickly as well. It is always nice having options.