AP1100 clockwise question

Shailesh Trivedi

One of the methods to polar align a mount I have been using is to run a Tpoint model using The SkyX. For my AP1100 GTO. I have dialed down the elevation or Alt but not AZ yet. Tpoint's polar align hint asks to rotate the mount clockwise as seen from above. The question is whether to use the right azimuth knob or not. Intuitively, rotating the right AZ knob will push on an internal mechanism to turn the mount left, which is clockwise looking from above.
Is this accurate?

Shailesh

jimmyjujames

The following is similar to marking your Dec and RA axis with tape.

Put a piece of tape across a convenient location where the mount base and pier move in azimuth.
Draw line across junction.
Cut tape along junction between the mount side from the pier side
Put a thin piece of tape on both azimuth knobs.
Loosen one azimuth knob 2 turns
Tighten the other azimuth knob 2 turns.
Which way did the line on mount base piece of tape move in azimuth as seen from overhead.

Reverse the 2 turns to move mount back to original position.

Jimmy

Jeff B

I use T point as well to do my polar alignments and it works well for me.  When it tells me to go a certain direction in azimuth, I first adjust the mounts, azimuth knobs so that both just barely contact the stud/peg on my 900 and 1200 mounts.  I too can get a bit confused so I back off each of the knobs by the amount to give me the shift recommended by T point, then rotate the mount by hand clockwise or counterclockwise, until it contacts the peg.  I then turn the other knob until it contacts the peg.

I typically do 7 to eights widely spaced stars on each side of the mount the old fashioned way with a X-hair eyepiece.  A bit slow but very accurate.

Jeff

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:06 AM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
One of the methods to polar align a mount I have been using is to run a Tpoint model using The SkyX. For my AP1100 GTO. I have dialed down the elevation or Alt but not AZ yet. Tpoint's polar align hint asks to rotate the mount clockwise as seen from above. The question is whether to use the right azimuth knob or not. Intuitively, rotating the right AZ knob will push on an internal mechanism to turn the mount left, which is clockwise looking from above.
Is this accurate?

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Thank you, Jimmy and Jeff B. I was able to use JImmy's tape trick to determine the direction of rotation. For those who have AP1100, the right AZ knob turns the mount clockwise while looking from above (PEMPRO calls it moving east) and the left knob turns the mount counter-clockwise (PEMPro west). This took me about 2.5 hrs last night, I am sure as I gain more experience I can do it faster, but then may not have to redo it (hopefully).

I was able to use PEMpro to polar align to sub arc minute level for AZ and ALT. Not sure if this is sufficient to do unguided imaging with absolute encoders, but I did get a 237 point APPM model done last night. I have not redone Tpoint yet.

One final question: what happens if I change the clutch settings? Do I redo APPM? I am assuming it does not alter polar alignment though.

Shailesh

Roland Christen

One final question: what happens if I change the clutch settings? Do I redo APPM? I am assuming it does not alter polar alignment though.
Clutch settings have no effect on polar alignment. It may affect the model to a small extent, so I would try to return the mount back to the original position after doing a manual adjustment of balance.

[...]

Thanks, Roland.  Is sub arc minute level PA sufficient (both AZ and ALT) to do unguided imaging (say 15 or 20min NB) with standard AEs?

Shailesh

Roland Christen

Polar alignment error is compensated when you make a model. I can't answer your 15 - 20 minute unguided imaging question.