AP1100, Berlebach Planet, mounting CP4

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

I am anticipating a AP 1100 in a few months, and have that plate on order for my Berlebach Planet tripod.   From their website it looks like the attached.

There is a “Pier/Tripod Control Box Adapter” that shows as an angled bracket for attaching to a tripod.    The CP4 manual indicates the 1100 needs something on which to attach the CP4.  The 1100 manual on the other hand, on page 8, is a little confusing as it shows two screws for the CP4, but on the left hand page mentions “& adapter”.   So I think the adapter is there.  Maybe.

Does anyone have this mount on a Planet, specifically one with the Berlebach plate?

Will I need the adapter?   I’m thinking yes.

Will that top hole on the adapter (the one on the bent piece of metal) attach to a screw that’s going to go into one of the four holes below?  Or am I going to need something else with which to attach either the CP4 itself, or the adapter?    Will just that one screw hold it?

I am hoping not to drill holes in the wooden legs.

But even more, I want to make sure when I get it, I have all the parts.  Be a shame to then wait weeks to order some minor but necessary part.  L

Linwood

Bill Long

The pier adapter for the CP4 comes with the mount.  It will connect to the backside of the 1100 with two screws. So you will drop the RA axis onto the adapter you pictured, secure that with the bolts on the side, then bolt the CP4 box on the back of the mount itself.

[...]

That’s good to know, and I just saw the detailed “what’s included” list shows the CBAPT”.   Good.  But that it attaches to the mount is a bit at odds with page 16 of the CP4 manual, which says:

When using the 400GTO, 600EGTO, Mach1GTO, 1100GTO and some

of the OEM mounts that use the AP Servo Drive System, the GTOCP4 is not directly

attached to the mount, but instead it is mounted onto a bracket that is then affixed to

the tripod or pier.

So the bolts that hold the base to the Berlebach plate will be what the CBAPT attach to?   Or it does attach to the 1100 itself?

[...]

The back of the 1100 itself. I will get you a photo here in a few. 🙂 I use the Losmandy HD and the 119FSA which is basically what the adapter you showed is.

[...]

That’s OK no need to bother, so long as I do not need to buy anything else, I’m OK and will figure it out with hardware in hand.  I didn’t mean to sound like I did not believe you, trying to follow along in the manual.

With so much stuff backordered, just trying to be ahead of the game.

[...]

Thank you, that helps.

[...]

As a follow on question with a Berlebach planet.

I received the mounting ring from Berlebach, and it emphasized how large the base of the AP1100 will be in comparison to this tripod.

I do not plan to have more than about 45 pounds of OTA, and counterweights of course.

Does anyone with a similar setup have any kind of idea where the center of gravity is for that kind of setup?  Specifically how far off center?

I typically image with the legs retracted fully for stability, and legs at closest are 9.5" (between legs) and 17" (at a single leg) from center.  I prefer to image with the single leg south not north, this provides a LOT more clearance (at least on my MyT) near zenith to avoid leg crashes.  But when I looked at that 9.5" it made me worry, this is a larger mount and probably different CG.

I found the Dimension Calculator spreadsheet, clearly aimed at clearance not load.  But I think (emphasis on think) that the point in the first image labeled as offset B, represents the BALANCED CG, basically at the intersection with the DEC axis.

But what I am worried about is the unbalanced CG -- the point at which I have loaded 50# or so of counterweights and have yet to attach the OTA.  I.e. the situation why everyone says "put the single leg under the counterweight shaft".  Which is good advice I hope to not have to take so I don't hit the legs with my imaging train.

This all works fine on the MyT, it is quite stable.  But worried -- am I in for a rude surprise with the larger AP1100 (with 45# load)?  Yes, this is easy to figure out once I get it -- but if I need a new tripod/pier I'd like to get it on order now.

Anyone know where the CG is going to land?   And yes, I realize it's latitude dependent (I'm at 26d) but any real world experience welcome.

Linwood

Roland Christen

Whether you put the 3rd leg pointing North or pointing South, the clearance of the other two legs will be about the same. In fact, you will have slightly more clearance for the telescopes when pointing at the zenith because the 1100 Dec axis hangs more northward of center. It is also the most stable condition for the mount with just counterweights attached.

Roland

As a follow on question with a Berlebach planet.

I received the mounting ring from Berlebach, and it emphasized how large the base of the AP1100 will be in comparison to this tripod.

I do not plan to have more than about 45 pounds of OTA, and counterweights of course.

Does anyone with a similar setup have any kind of idea where the center of gravity is for that kind of setup?  Specifically how far off center?

I typically image with the legs retracted fully for stability, and legs at closest are 9.5" (between legs) and 17" (at a single leg) from center.  I prefer to image with the single leg south not north, this provides a LOT more clearance (at least on my MyT) near zenith to avoid leg crashes.  But when I looked at that 9.5" it made me worry, this is a larger mount and probably different CG.

I found the Dimension Calculator spreadsheet, clearly aimed at clearance not load.  But I think (emphasis on think) that the point in the first image labeled as offset B, represents the BALANCED CG, basically at the intersection with the DEC axis.

But what I am worried about is the unbalanced CG -- the point at which I have loaded 50# or so of counterweights and have yet to attach the OTA.  I.e. the situation why everyone says "put the single leg under the counterweight shaft".  Which is good advice I hope to not have to take so I don't hit the legs with my imaging train.

This all works fine on the MyT, it is quite stable.  But worried -- am I in for a rude surprise with the larger AP1100 (with 45# load)?  Yes, this is easy to figure out once I get it -- but if I need a new tripod/pier I'd like to get it on order now.

Anyone know where the CG is going to land?   And yes, I realize it's latitude dependent (I'm at 26d) but any real world experience welcome.

Linwood

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

>>> Roland said:

Whether you put the 3rd leg pointing North or pointing South, the clearance of the other two legs will be about the same. In fact, you will have slightly more clearance for the telescopes when pointing at the zenith because the 1100 Dec axis hangs more northward of center. It is also the most stable condition for the mount with just counterweights attached.

That would be great if the clearance is better, as I do not really WANT to put the single leg south.  But with both my old CEM70G and current MyT that did give me several inches more clearance, enough I had no risk of collision (so long as I paid a bit of attention to rotation angle of the filter wheel), but definitely had collisions otherwise.

But if I can put the single leg North and still not have a collision issue, that would be terrific, as that almost doubles the available supported CG position.

Thank you.

Roland Christen

I should have added that with the 3rd leg pointed northward, there is slightly more clearance for the telescope when it is pointing to the zenith.

[...]

I have both an 1100 and a tripod so I will set them up and see what the clearances are both ways.

Roland

[...]

While I certainly appreciate any info, please do not go to a lot of trouble.   You guys have a lot on your plates!