AP1100 / APCC Wired Ethernet Connection to Laptop Turning Off WiFi

Mark Lamb

A few days ago, I received my AP1100, my 1st A-P product, to replace my ES/Losmandy G11 w/ PMC-8 as my main imaging mount.

I have had connection issues using USB, with 2 of 5 nights Windows not recognizing the AP1100.  The AP1100 was connecting through a StarTech powered 4 port USB3 hub, and the cable from the AP1100 is a new, Monoprice 3' USB2 cable.  Last night after the laptop/APCC not seeing the AP1100 USB, I connected the AP1100 using Wired Ethernet to my laptop (outside ~ 3ft from AP1100).  It connected fine and ran all night without a hitch, but when I plugged the Ethernet cable into my HP Z-Book (Windows10) laptop, the laptop turns off WiFi.  I would like to still have WiFi while I am outside with my mount.

I expect the issue is a Windows 10 issue.  Does anyone know what I need to do to have WiFi connected while the AP1100 is connected to the laptop with Ethernet cable?

Thanks!

Peter Nagy

I use Ethernet cable connected from CP4 directly to my laptop and use WiFi to transfer captured raw images from laptop to desktop computer without issues.

It sounds like it's your laptop that is disabling WiFi, not CP4 causing it. I would look deeper into your laptop settings to keep WiFi enabled. Google for your exact brand and model laptop to search for keeping WiFi enabled while Ethernet is connected.

It's not Windows 10 issue because I also use Windows 10.

Peter

spot on - in fact it's a known "feature" for hp laptops, fix described here (bios setting)

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Erkaslan Aygen

Dear Mark,

First of all, congratulations on your new mount !

I am not the biggest Windows expert, but as far as I know you can still keep the wifi functional while having the Ethernet cable plugged into your laptop. However, this isn’t the best choice especially if you need a specific device to be connected via Ethernet rather than wifi (to ensure flawless communication). But since APCC let you chose the connection method (on your case, TCP/LAN), you shouldn’t be bothered.

Let me ask a question : how do you operate (fixed like an observatory or mainly “nomad) ?

For instance, if you possess a good mobile network, you may also trigger a hotspot via your mobile (that’s what I would do if I am remote without wifi / internet).

I am sure you will get helpful tips by the community :)

Best,
Aygen

Mark Lamb

My setup is semi-permanent, e.g. mount is setup on my back patio.  I do not move my Losmandy FHD tripod and generally keep my mount attached.  If it looks like bad winter weather is coming, I will carry my mount (ex tripod) inside.  If the forecast is for several days of good weather, I also keep the scope/camera assembled on the mount, covering with a thick towel and a scope cover.  When the scope/camera is inside, I cover the naked mount with a large plastic trash can with a scope cover on top.  I also keep a gun cabinet warming rod plugged in to keep humidity down under the cover.  When I first got my G11 (my very 1st mount) in Spring 2018, I would carry my mount and tripod in/out to my basement.  But in Fall 2018, I was T-boned by a car while riding my bike, totally destroying my knee (shattered Tibia Plateau), so I need to limit my carrying in/out.  Pre accident, cycling was my main hobby (up to 9K miles/year), but luckily I had just started down the rabbit hole of astrophotography.  Thinking about AP was the main thing I would think about for the 6 weeks I was immobile in the hospital or rehab facility or the many months of wheelchair bound at home recovering.  So now AP is my main hobby.

The WiFi is connected to my home's WiFi.  The WiFi is only for convenience, such as some browsing while waiting for 8 minute exposures to complete.

Bill Long

This is most definitely NOT Windows 10's fault. More likely a bios/FW caused by HP. Check for a bios update or contact their support.

[...]

I went into BIOS settings and disabled the LAN-WLAN switching setting.  This was a default BIOS setting.  After the clouds/rain clears, I will have to see if this solves the problem.

Peter Nagy

You should be able to test it indoors, no need to wait for clear sky.

Peter

Mark Lamb

Disabling the LAN-WLAN switching setting in BIOS did not fix the issue.  Since this is a convenience issue only, I do not babysit outside in the cold, and having other things to do, I will leave this for now.