Topics

Another clear night for testing

Roland Christen

Howdy Astronuts,

We have had an unprecedented series of clear nights here due to a high pressure system that has stalled over the Midwest. Allowed me to do extensive testing of mounts and scopes this past week. High pressure means great transparency and also rapid cooling. This is what my 160 EDF refractor looked like last night around Midnight. Thick frost on the tube, the mount etc, but the lens remained clear. That dewshield really works, and that's without any sort of dew heater.

Hope to post a few snapshots of deep sky objects this weekend (just snapshots, nothing really good)

Sabahattin Bilsel

Hello Roland,

This is a custom made dewshield I think. Made of Polyoxymethylene (POM) Delrin, Kocetal, Celcon etc...
I would like to make my own. We don't have frost here but lot of humidity, f.e. last night 98%.

Greetings from Bodrum, Turkey
Sab.

Roland Christen

The dewshield on my 160 refractor is the stock aluminum one we supplied with all the production scopes.

This is a custom made dewshield I think. Made of Polyoxymethylene (POM) Delrin, Kocetal, Celcon etc...
I would like to make my own. We don't have frost here but lot of humidity, f.e. last night 98%.

Greetings from Bodrum, Turkey
Sab.

Sabahattin Bilsel

Thanks. I was thinking, what that thick spotted part in the front is? I haven’t seen this in your other refractors before, nor on my 130GTX. So it's just frost...

Sab.