Advice for pier top plate

Glenn

Hi everyone, first-time pier owner here. I'm hoping someone can give some advice about how to add a top plate to my pier.

I recently reserved a pad at my club's dark sky site, and it has a pier on it that was placed by the previous owner. I bought the pier from him when the transfer was made. Now I am trying to figure out what must be done to mount my Mach1 on it. I already have an ADATRI, which I believe is the correct adapter. A-P offers a couple of top plates that might work, but I am not certain. I've attached some pictures of the top of the pier.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

Glenn

Mike Dodd

On 8/16/2022 12:33 AM, Glenn wrote:
Now I am trying to figure out what must be done to mount my Mach1 on it. I already have an ADATRI, which I believe is the correct adapter.
If the ADATRI has four holes to attach to the pier, you'll need to work with those, and forget about the three holes already in the pier. I would cut/machine four aluminum blocks. Then:

1. Drill a 1/4" hole through each block on the side that attaches to the pier.

2. Lay the ADATRI on top of the pier.

3. Tape the four blocks to the pier so they line up with the holes in the ADATRI, and touch the ADATRI bottom.

4. Through the 1/4" hole in each block, mark on the pier that hole's location.

5. Remove the blocks from the pier.

6. On the pier, drill and tap 1/4"-20 holes for the four blocks.

7. Attach the four blocks to the pier with 1/4"-20 bolts. I'd use stainless steel hardware.

8. Lay the ADATRI on top of the four blocks, then mark the location of the mounting holes.

9. Drill and tap a 1/4"-20 x 1/2"-deep hole in each block for the ADATRI holes.

10. Attach the ADATRI to the four blocks with 1/4"-20 SS bolts.

That should do it.

You might want to devise a way to level the ADATRI, although apparently precise leveling isn't necessary with A-P mounts.

HTH.

--- Mike

George

The ADATRI attaches via three 5/16" socket head cap screws. See the schematic:
https://www.astro-physics.info/tech_support/accessories/mounting_acc/adatri.pdf

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)
Email:  george@...
[...]

fl.lusen

Glen,

Here is a simpler method but it will require someone with a milling machine and a rotary table.  If you know of someone with that or of a machine shop near you have them machine a cap to fit in the top of your pier.  It must have a lip to keep it from falling down in the pier.  Now you will have a flat surface to mount the adapter.  That is what I have done for my 1100 for both my pier and a tripod.  I can send photos if you like.  BTW, where are you located?

Fred