ADATRI on Losmandy HD Tripod

yanzhe liu

Can I attach ADATRI directly to Losmandy HD tripod?
I think I can do it with 3 1/4" screws, not receommeded 5/8" ones. Is there any concern by doing so?

Yanzhe

KHursh

No, you would need the flat plate that goes on the tripod: LT2APM. You bolt the ADATRI to that

Matthieu BUI

Yes, you can. I added an extension pier because I had collisions of my scope on the tripod.

Le jeudi 6 mai 2021 à 22:47:20 UTC+2, yanzhe liu <liuyanzhe@...> a écrit :

I think I can do it with 3 1/4" screws, not receommeded 5/8" ones. Is there any concern by doing so?

Yanzhe

George

Yanzhe,

The three tapped holes that are on the Losmandy HD tripod are for the Losmandy MA adapter.   They are 3/8” tapped holes and will not work with the ADATRI.   If the Losmandy MA adapter is on the Losmandy tripod, then you can use our LT2APM Flat Adapter and then attach the ADATRI to it.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of yanzhe liu
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2021 3:47 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] ADATRI on Losmandy HD Tripod

Yanzhe

yanzhe liu

George,

I could attach ADATRI to HD tripod using 3 highlighted 1/4" holes (I did this for Mach1). It looks strong, but none of the tripod legs points due north.
Should I concern about the stability and strength of this setup?

IMG_2601 2.jpg

Yanzhe

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 7:29 AM George <george@...> wrote:

Yanzhe,

The three tapped holes that are on the Losmandy HD tripod are for the Losmandy MA adapter.   They are 3/8” tapped holes and will not work with the ADATRI.   If the Losmandy MA adapter is on the Losmandy tripod, then you can use our LT2APM Flat Adapter and then attach the ADATRI to it.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Yanzhe

George

Yanzhe,

Is the spacing for those holes correct?   If so, because the Mach1’s payload is small, it probably would not matter that the north leg is not under the counterweight shaft.    The weight balance on the tripod is probably okay.    You can probably use washers with button head screws…again, the small Mach1 payload will probably work for you.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] ADATRI on Losmandy HD Tripod

George,

I could attach ADATRI to HD tripod using 3 highlighted 1/4" holes (I did this for Mach1). It looks strong, but none of the tripod legs points due north.

Should I concern about the stability and strength of this setup?

Yanzhe

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 7:29 AM George <george@...> wrote:

Yanzhe,

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Yanzhe

Elenillor

I attached the ADATRI using the 3/8" holes. I needed to get low profile 3/8" bolts and slightly enlarge the slots on the bottom of the ADATRI. That allows the counter weight to be directly over the leg. I felt that to be important since I have about 60# of counter weights for and the AP254.

George

This looks like the best solution.    How did you enlarge the holes in the ADATRI?   

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Elenillor
Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] ADATRI on Losmandy HD Tripod

I attached the ADATRI using the 3/8" holes. I needed to get low profile 3/8" bolts and slightly enlarge the slots on the bottom of the ADATRI. That allows the counter weight to be directly over the leg. I felt that to be important since I have about 60# of counter weights for and the AP254.

Shailesh Trivedi

Elenillor,

Thanks for your images. i am in a similar situation (I have a Losmandy FHD and ADATRI).  What is the thread count of the 3/8 bolts? And how did you increase the slot size? The inner side is a relatively thin piece of metal.

Shailesh

Jeff B

Yes, the best solution by far.  

Regarding the slots, just turn the ADATRI over and drill the holes larger from that bottom side.  The existing holes will act as self-centering pilot holes.

Jeff

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 4:47 PM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
Elenillor,

Thanks for your images. i am in a similar situation (I have a Losmandy FHD and ADATRI).  What is the thread count of the 3/8 bolts? And how did you increase the slot size? The inner side is a relatively thin piece of metal.

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Thanks Jeff, looks simple enough provided I stay away from the "thin" edge. I am assuming these are standard 3/8-16 cap head screws (16 tpi) - George can confirm. Then the final step is what length?

Shailesh

Elenillor

Last year there was a similar thread on the ap group (not gto) see: https://ap-ug.groups.io/g/main/topic/79089141#83058

I noted the parts I purchased.

Shailesh Trivedi

Elenillor,

Thank you for the link, it is very helpful.

Shailesh

Jeff B

Don't worry about the thin edge.  Everything is in high compression against a flat surface.  Even if the hole became a slot, everything would be fine.

Jeff

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 6:34 PM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
Elenillor,

Thank you for the link, it is very helpful.

Shailesh