About APCC and ISS tracking and PC Time

drgert1

Hello All,

There was a nice ISS pass yesterday. I tried to follow it with APCC horizon utility.
I see the PC time as the most tricky parameter. In my case the mount was trailing the ISS by a bit.
Obviously my PC time wasn't spot-on. Now for folks like me who are getting forgetful maybe it's an opportunity for Ray to put some automated NIST time sync into APCC just as a helpful measure. Maybe with a little popup 'OK' button.

The tracking feature is just great. I like the way it is organized sending the custom tracking speeds to the mount (which you can see in the driver UI)

My one improvement request would be to have the hand controller buttons 'N E S W' able to overlay the motion of the tracking. When I pushed the buttons during the ISS flyover the mount moved but 'something was fighting' the motion and pushed the ISS back to the edge of the field of view.

Maybe even have an option for a USB joystick to control the mount motion. (This would be even a cool thing outside off ISS tracking) :-)

Of course a great shout-out to Ray for the excellent work.

Cheers,
Gert

W Hilmo

Your computer should be able to sync time with NIST, as long as you have an internet connection.  APCC can then update the mount’s time with the computer’s time.  This doesn’t require a new feature.

The new feature that I would like to see is for APCC to have an option to update the computer time from a GPS receiver.  I do a fair amount of imaging from sites with no internet.  Right now, I have a 3rd party piece of software that I use to sync the computer clock from the GPS, but it would be nice to have an option to do this right from APCC.

[...]

Dale Ghent

Ugh. Windows' built-in time client has been a pain to deal with and performed sadly only until recently, and even still it requires some tweaks in order to keep host clock drift reasonably in check. One of the time server vendors I've used in the past has a decent series of KB articles regarding this:

https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/timekeeping_on_windows/accurate_time_in_windows

As for using a GPS to sync the signal timecode to the host, I do this now using a $15 USB GPS dongle from Amazon and the NMEATime2 app from VisualGPS: http://visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

NMEATime2 does it right, including calibrating for the delay between the signal being emitted, received, and working its way through the OS to the app. This delay calibration is key for any app that's used to keep time with any signal source and why you can't just read the GPS sentences as they come off the serial port and write that time to the OS clock. It's pretty good for $20 and change, and a total solution for under $40 if you include the cost of any USB GPS dongle.

/dale

On Apr 7, 2021, at 21:08, W Hilmo <y.groups@hilmo.net> wrote:

[...]

Christopher Erickson

Only FWIW, SharpCap can access the GPS chip in my QHY174M-GPS cams and sync the PC clock to them.

I always run GPS's for at least 20 minutes on-sky before I attempt to sync a PC to them before I capture an occultation. I have seen GPS time being up to 20 seconds off from a GPS until they get a full ephemeris update from the satellites.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Ugh. Windows' built-in time client has been a pain to deal with and performed sadly only until recently, and even still it requires some tweaks in order to keep host clock drift reasonably in check. One of the time server vendors I've used in the past has a decent series of KB articles regarding this:

https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/timekeeping_on_windows/accurate_time_in_windows

As for using a GPS to sync the signal timecode to the host, I do this now using a $15 USB GPS dongle from Amazon and the NMEATime2 app from VisualGPS: http://visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

NMEATime2 does it right, including calibrating for the delay between the signal being emitted, received, and working its way through the OS to the app. This delay calibration is key for any app that's used to keep time with any signal source and why you can't just read the GPS sentences as they come off the serial port and write that time to the OS clock. It's pretty good for $20 and change, and a total solution for under $40 if you include the cost of any USB GPS dongle.

/dale

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 21:08, W Hilmo <y.groups@...> wrote:
>
> Your computer should be able to sync time with NIST, as long as you have an internet connection.  APCC can then update the mount’s time with the computer’s time.  This doesn’t require a new feature.
>

> The new feature that I would like to see is for APCC to have an option to update the computer time from a GPS receiver.  I do a fair amount of imaging from sites with no internet.  Right now, I have a 3rd party piece of software that I use to sync the computer clock from the GPS, but it would be nice to have an option to do this right from APCC.

Dale Ghent

Yep.

The hows and whys are covered by the NMEATime author here:

On Apr 7, 2021, at 10:13 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

Only FWIW, SharpCap can access the GPS chip in my QHY174M-GPS cams and sync the PC clock to them.

I always run GPS's for at least 20 minutes on-sky before I attempt to sync a PC to them before I capture an occultation. I have seen GPS time being up to 20 seconds off from a GPS until they get a full ephemeris update from the satellites.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Ugh. Windows' built-in time client has been a pain to deal with and performed sadly only until recently, and even still it requires some tweaks in order to keep host clock drift reasonably in check. One of the time server vendors I've used in the past has a decent series of KB articles regarding this:

https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/timekeeping_on_windows/accurate_time_in_windows

As for using a GPS to sync the signal timecode to the host, I do this now using a $15 USB GPS dongle from Amazon and the NMEATime2 app from VisualGPS: http://visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

NMEATime2 does it right, including calibrating for the delay between the signal being emitted, received, and working its way through the OS to the app. This delay calibration is key for any app that's used to keep time with any signal source and why you can't just read the GPS sentences as they come off the serial port and write that time to the OS clock. It's pretty good for $20 and change, and a total solution for under $40 if you include the cost of any USB GPS dongle.

/dale

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 21:08, W Hilmo <y.groups@...> wrote:
>
> Your computer should be able to sync time with NIST, as long as you have an internet connection.  APCC can then update the mount’s time with the computer’s time.  This doesn’t require a new feature.
>

> The new feature that I would like to see is for APCC to have an option to update the computer time from a GPS receiver.  I do a fair amount of imaging from sites with no internet.  Right now, I have a 3rd party piece of software that I use to sync the computer clock from the GPS, but it would be nice to have an option to do this right from APCC.

Woody Schlom

Christopher,

Thanks for that insight on GPS clock accuracy.  I realized it took several minutes for greatest geographical accuracy (often called 3D by GPS makers), but didn’t realize that the clock accuracy could take as long as 20 minutes.

Woody

Only FWIW, SharpCap can access the GPS chip in my QHY174M-GPS cams and sync the PC clock to them.

I always run GPS's for at least 20 minutes on-sky before I attempt to sync a PC to them before I capture an occultation. I have seen GPS time being up to 20 seconds off from a GPS until they get a full ephemeris update from the satellites.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Ugh. Windows' built-in time client has been a pain to deal with and performed sadly only until recently, and even still it requires some tweaks in order to keep host clock drift reasonably in check. One of the time server vendors I've used in the past has a decent series of KB articles regarding this:

https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/timekeeping_on_windows/accurate_time_in_windows

As for using a GPS to sync the signal timecode to the host, I do this now using a $15 USB GPS dongle from Amazon and the NMEATime2 app from VisualGPS: http://visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

NMEATime2 does it right, including calibrating for the delay between the signal being emitted, received, and working its way through the OS to the app. This delay calibration is key for any app that's used to keep time with any signal source and why you can't just read the GPS sentences as they come off the serial port and write that time to the OS clock. It's pretty good for $20 and change, and a total solution for under $40 if you include the cost of any USB GPS dongle.

/dale

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 21:08, W Hilmo <y.groups@...> wrote:
>
> Your computer should be able to sync time with NIST, as long as you have an internet connection.  APCC can then update the mount’s time with the computer’s time.  This doesn’t require a new feature.
>

> The new feature that I would like to see is for APCC to have an option to update the computer time from a GPS receiver.  I do a fair amount of imaging from sites with no internet.  Right now, I have a 3rd party piece of software that I use to sync the computer clock from the GPS, but it would be nice to have an option to do this right from APCC.

Dale Ghent

In reality the minimum possible time for a GPS cold start is 12.5 minutes, but this is under optimal conditions where the receiver has a full view of the sky down to the horizon. Without that full view and with some sat signals being blocked or reflected by structures or other objects, accumulating the constellation almanac will take longer.  This period of time is referred to as Time To First Fix.

On Apr 7, 2021, at 10:43 PM, Woody Schlom <woody_is@...> wrote:

Christopher,

Thanks for that insight on GPS clock accuracy.  I realized it took several minutes for greatest geographical accuracy (often called 3D by GPS makers), but didn’t realize that the clock accuracy could take as long as 20 minutes.

Woody

Only FWIW, SharpCap can access the GPS chip in my QHY174M-GPS cams and sync the PC clock to them.

I always run GPS's for at least 20 minutes on-sky before I attempt to sync a PC to them before I capture an occultation. I have seen GPS time being up to 20 seconds off from a GPS until they get a full ephemeris update from the satellites.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Ugh. Windows' built-in time client has been a pain to deal with and performed sadly only until recently, and even still it requires some tweaks in order to keep host clock drift reasonably in check. One of the time server vendors I've used in the past has a decent series of KB articles regarding this:

https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/timekeeping_on_windows/accurate_time_in_windows

As for using a GPS to sync the signal timecode to the host, I do this now using a $15 USB GPS dongle from Amazon and the NMEATime2 app from VisualGPS: http://visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

NMEATime2 does it right, including calibrating for the delay between the signal being emitted, received, and working its way through the OS to the app. This delay calibration is key for any app that's used to keep time with any signal source and why you can't just read the GPS sentences as they come off the serial port and write that time to the OS clock. It's pretty good for $20 and change, and a total solution for under $40 if you include the cost of any USB GPS dongle.

/dale

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 21:08, W Hilmo <y.groups@...> wrote:
>
> Your computer should be able to sync time with NIST, as long as you have an internet connection.  APCC can then update the mount’s time with the computer’s time.  This doesn’t require a new feature.
>

> The new feature that I would like to see is for APCC to have an option to update the computer time from a GPS receiver.  I do a fair amount of imaging from sites with no internet.  Right now, I have a 3rd party piece of software that I use to sync the computer clock from the GPS, but it would be nice to have an option to do this right from APCC.

W Hilmo

This is great information!

I have been using a free tool called GPSTime (https://www.coaa.co.uk/gpstime.htm), and it works ok.  I took a look at NMEATime and it looks to be far superior.  Since it installs as a service, I just need to make sure that my cheap GPS dongle is plugged in, and it takes care of the rest.

In my opinion, it’s well worth the cost, so I went ahead and purchased it.

The hows and whys are covered by the NMEATime author here:

On Apr 7, 2021, at 10:13 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

Only FWIW, SharpCap can access the GPS chip in my QHY174M-GPS cams and sync the PC clock to them.

I always run GPS's for at least 20 minutes on-sky before I attempt to sync a PC to them before I capture an occultation. I have seen GPS time being up to 20 seconds off from a GPS until they get a full ephemeris update from the satellites.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Ugh. Windows' built-in time client has been a pain to deal with and performed sadly only until recently, and even still it requires some tweaks in order to keep host clock drift reasonably in check. One of the time server vendors I've used in the past has a decent series of KB articles regarding this:

https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/timekeeping_on_windows/accurate_time_in_windows

As for using a GPS to sync the signal timecode to the host, I do this now using a $15 USB GPS dongle from Amazon and the NMEATime2 app from VisualGPS: http://visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

NMEATime2 does it right, including calibrating for the delay between the signal being emitted, received, and working its way through the OS to the app. This delay calibration is key for any app that's used to keep time with any signal source and why you can't just read the GPS sentences as they come off the serial port and write that time to the OS clock. It's pretty good for $20 and change, and a total solution for under $40 if you include the cost of any USB GPS dongle.

/dale

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 21:08, W Hilmo <y.groups@...> wrote:
>
> Your computer should be able to sync time with NIST, as long as you have an internet connection.  APCC can then update the mount’s time with the computer’s time.  This doesn’t require a new feature.
>

> The new feature that I would like to see is for APCC to have an option to update the computer time from a GPS receiver.  I do a fair amount of imaging from sites with no internet.  Right now, I have a 3rd party piece of software that I use to sync the computer clock from the GPS, but it would be nice to have an option to do this right from APCC.

Christopher Erickson

I think that having a GPS hooked up to the scope PC and running for at least 20 minutes before using it to tune the PC internal clock will be critical for both satellite tracking as well as for occultation captures.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 7:52 AM W Hilmo <y.groups@...> wrote:

This is great information!

I have been using a free tool called GPSTime (https://www.coaa.co.uk/gpstime.htm), and it works ok.  I took a look at NMEATime and it looks to be far superior.  Since it installs as a service, I just need to make sure that my cheap GPS dongle is plugged in, and it takes care of the rest.

In my opinion, it’s well worth the cost, so I went ahead and purchased it.

The hows and whys are covered by the NMEATime author here:

On Apr 7, 2021, at 10:13 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

Only FWIW, SharpCap can access the GPS chip in my QHY174M-GPS cams and sync the PC clock to them.

I always run GPS's for at least 20 minutes on-sky before I attempt to sync a PC to them before I capture an occultation. I have seen GPS time being up to 20 seconds off from a GPS until they get a full ephemeris update from the satellites.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Ugh. Windows' built-in time client has been a pain to deal with and performed sadly only until recently, and even still it requires some tweaks in order to keep host clock drift reasonably in check. One of the time server vendors I've used in the past has a decent series of KB articles regarding this:

https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/timekeeping_on_windows/accurate_time_in_windows

As for using a GPS to sync the signal timecode to the host, I do this now using a $15 USB GPS dongle from Amazon and the NMEATime2 app from VisualGPS: http://visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

NMEATime2 does it right, including calibrating for the delay between the signal being emitted, received, and working its way through the OS to the app. This delay calibration is key for any app that's used to keep time with any signal source and why you can't just read the GPS sentences as they come off the serial port and write that time to the OS clock. It's pretty good for $20 and change, and a total solution for under $40 if you include the cost of any USB GPS dongle.

/dale

> On Apr 7, 2021, at 21:08, W Hilmo <y.groups@...> wrote:
>
> Your computer should be able to sync time with NIST, as long as you have an internet connection.  APCC can then update the mount’s time with the computer’s time.  This doesn’t require a new feature.
>

> The new feature that I would like to see is for APCC to have an option to update the computer time from a GPS receiver.  I do a fair amount of imaging from sites with no internet.  Right now, I have a 3rd party piece of software that I use to sync the computer clock from the GPS, but it would be nice to have an option to do this right from APCC.

drgert1

Hello All,

Thanks for the great discussion. I just tested a GPS dongle vs the Windows 10 time (just after having told Windows to sync with the network time reference). The time is off by 1hr and 2sec. Now, which one is right for ISS tracking? Very interesting!

Cheers,
Gert

Dale Ghent

I'm not sure which app it is that you're using, but it's probably not adjusting its display of time for DST given that it's 1 hour behind your clock display and your location is observing DST. Seems odd to me that it wouldn't do this, but perhaps it uses its own timezone conversion based on the coordinates and this tz data might not have any notion of DST or purposefully avoids adjusting for it.

If you want your computer clock to be tied to the GPS-derived time, you should use an app like the aforementioned NMEATime2 instead of eyeballing it. Give sufficient time for the GPS lock to happen and the computer clock to the slewed to the GPS time before connecting to the mount with the A-P driver, which should have the "Sync PC time to mount" option set. I believe this is done only on initial connection to the mount when location and time are initialized.

Actually, this is a good question for Ray: Is the clock sync done only on initialization or is it also done periodically for the duration of the connection? I've never been clear on this and have always assumed it was a one-time deal when the driver first initializes the mount.

/dale

On Apr 9, 2021, at 01:30, drgert1 via groups.io <drgert1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks for the great discussion. I just tested a GPS dongle vs the Windows 10 time (just after having told Windows to sync with the network time reference). The time is off by 1hr and 2sec. Now, which one is right for ISS tracking? Very interesting!

<GPS_vs_Win10.jpg>

Cheers,
Gert

drgert1

@Dale & All,

The app came for free with the GPS dongle. Not very sophisticated. Thus probably missing out on DST. I asked NMEATime2 about preferences of COM over USB vs BT. BT seems to be deprecated. More interesting the 2sec gap between Win10 clock and GPS. I had used the sync with network in the MSFT clock settings popup just 5min prior. Alas I probably hadn't let the GPS soak for  long enough. Will try again.

Ping for Ray : Any ideas about hand controller / joystick override for the ISS tracking ?

Cheers,
Gert

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Are any of these using the 1 PPS feature of GPS for better accuracy than the serial data stream?

I’m not sure there is a practical difference but they all seemed to not have it, not sure if that’s a windows/USB thing, or just that they are a bit behind, or if there’s something expensive about it so it doesn’t show up in these products?

I went to buy one and felt like I was getting a CFL light bulb instead of LED – not awful, just not current.