A note on the video of the SGP and APCC settings for the meridian flip #APCC

Marcelo Figueroa

I was watching the video on the youtube channel about the settings to use in SGP and APCC regarding the meridian flip and I think there is a potential issue.

In the video a positive number is entered in Flip Offset Padding while the mount is in parking and that number is correctly sent to SGP.

The problem, at least in my case, is that when the mount is actually tracking and approaching the meridian, there is a discrepancy between APCC and SGP. So APCC always reaches the meridian limit a couple of minutes before SGP and stops the mount, resulting in an aborted session in SGP. What I have to do is to enter a negative number in Flip Offset Padding, this way SGP reaches the meridian before APCC and can perform the flip without problems*.

*When you do this SGP will complain and set the minutes past the meridian to 0, simply click the Ok button and ignore the message.

Just to keep in mind,

Eric Claeys

Do you know the exact message SGP gives when it "complains"?
I may have the same issue.

HI Marcelo

A couple things

Make sure you are using the latest APCC as mentioned in the video. There were some updates on SGP integration with that and later releases

Is your meridian limit prior to the actual meridian? If so, then yes you need to use negative numbers for the offset. I think the video covered the most often use cases, but having a limit prior to the actual meridian was not one of them

Brian

Marcelo Figueroa

This is the message displayed by SGP.

Note also that when the flip arrives in SGP it will wait for APCC to reach its own limit and may reach a negative count. When APCC reaches its limit the flip will be performed without problems.

Marcelo Figueroa

In fact I am using the same versions of both programs as the ones used in the video.

Here are some screenshots that illustrate the situation:

Situation 1, APCC reaches the limit first, stops the mount and SGP aborts the session.

Situation 2, SGP reaches the limit first, waits for APCC and performs the flip without problems.

Ray Gralak

Hi Marcelo,

First, you can easily avoid this by changing “Stop Tracking” to “Just Warn”.

More importantly, you have not defined the actual meridian limits of the telescope on your mount and set a Flip Offset.

-Ray

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 07:40 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:

Hi Marcelo,

First, you can easily avoid this by changing “Stop Tracking” to “Just Warn”.

More importantly, you have not defined the actual meridian limits of the telescope on your mount and set a Flip Offset.

Thank you Ray.

Fortunately I have a very clear view of the sky and don't need specific limits, I was just trying to make sure that in case something goes wrong during the flip the mount doesn't continue tracking and the scope hits the pillar.

Ray Gralak

Hi Marcelo,

More importantly, you have not defined the actual meridian limits of the telescope
on your mount and set a Flip Offset.
Fortunately I have a very clear view of the sky and don't need specific limits,
You might be confusing Meridian limits with Horizon Limits.

Horizon limits are used to define the area of the sky the telescope can view.

Meridian limits define how far you can, or want, to allow the mount to slew or track from the meridian,. The limit is usually set to be just before a counterweight-up pier collision would occur.

The set of Meridian Limits can, and likely will, be different between different telescopes on the same mount because each telescope and its accessories have different dimensions. It is a set of limits instead of a single limit because the meridian limit at each declination can change.

-Ray

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 07:40 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:

Hi Marcelo,

First, you can easily avoid this by changing “Stop Tracking” to “Just Warn”.

More importantly, you have not defined the actual meridian limits of the telescope on your mount and set a
Flip Offset.

Thank you Ray.

Fortunately I have a very clear view of the sky and don't need specific limits, I was just trying to make sure that in
case something goes wrong during the flip the mount doesn't continue tracking and the scope hits the pillar.

Greg McCall

And it would be great to be able to set all that including APPM stuff in just one site/telescope config screen for each setup that a portable user can just switch too depending on gear an location in stead of having to remember every configuration each time you set up.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 at 8:38 am, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
Hi Marcelo,

>>>     More importantly, you have not defined the actual meridian limits of the telescope
>>> on your mount and set a Flip Offset.
>
> Fortunately I have a very clear view of the sky and don't need specific limits,

You might be confusing Meridian limits with Horizon Limits.

Horizon limits are used to define the area of the sky the telescope can view.

Meridian limits define how far you can, or want, to allow the mount to slew or track from the meridian,. The limit is usually set to be just before a counterweight-up pier collision would occur.

The set of Meridian Limits can, and likely will, be different between different telescopes on the same mount because each telescope and its accessories have different dimensions. It is a set of limits instead of a single limit because the meridian limit at each declination can change.

-Ray

Hi Greg,

And it would be great to be able to set all that including APPM stuff in just one site/telescope config screen for
each setup that a portable user can just switch too depending on gear an location in stead of having to remember
every configuration each time you set up.
You can save or load all of your settings to a file with each site's name from APCC's File menu.

However you probably will have to do an APPM run if you are portable.

-Ray