A "next mount" question for this group

Kevin Cook

I need some advice from this august set of AP mount fans.  I have been happily perking along with an older AD130EDF mounted on a Mach 1.  My usage is probably 80% photography for myself (using an ASI2600MC PRO camera) and astronomy outreach using EAA with the same camera (run by an ASAAIR PRO).  This setup just works.  But there is a rub.  My lumbar spine is becoming a real problem.  L1-L5 are a train wreck, and I am not talking about my Lagrange points either.  I am not supposed to be lifting anything over 20lbs now.  I just did a late outreach session over the weekend, and I was thinking that I am just one lift away from disaster.  My scope, with D-plate, rings, and ZWO EAF mounted in its wheeled Tenba case weighs 38lbs.  Manageable for now, but the size of the scope makes it a bit awkward mounting and un-mounting the OTA.  I am already downsizing from three scopes to just one, keeping the AP130, but its day might be numbered.  My next scope is an AP110, and there is one in Illinois with my name on it (Roland just refuses to admit that yet!).  If I lose out on the lottery, the replacement will be something in the 90-115mm range, and there are multiple options out there.

The Mach 1 mount head, with a saddle plate attached and in the counterweight bar in my Nanuk case, weighs 48lbs.  Replacing the Mach 1 with something lighter but of comparable quality is the real challenge.  Unlike most of the discussions on this group, I am not looking to upgrade my mount to handle a larger OTA, I am not looking for absolute encoders or remote operation - I just want lighter without giving up the AP performance I am used to.  The new harmonic mounts (AM5, RST135) are one option.  I see them as very appealing for EAA outreach.  For my own astrophotography, I would probably would have more confidence in a conventional equatorial mount like an iOptron GEM45 or a Losmandy GM8.  Is there anything else out there that would meet my needs?  Or does anyone have experience with any of those lighter mounts?  I know there have been discussions on this group about wishing for a lighter AP mount, a baby Mach 0.5, but Roland has been clear that ain't likely to happen.  All of my outreach, and my photography at the TAAA's dark sky site, involve car travel and setting up the gear for as short as a 2-hour outreach session to as long as 3-4 nights at the dark sky site.  Keeping a heavier setup in my backyard, given Tucson's night skies, is not an option.

The back is forcing me to downsize in a number of other ways - the kayaks, ski gear, and scuba gear have all been sold or donated this summer.  Now the wife and the dog are afraid to come near me.  Your advice and ideas are much appreciated.  Thank you.

Kevin Cook

Michael Kelly

Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your back, sounds horrible!!  In lieu of the non-existent Mach0.5, I can share my experience.  I have a William 132FLT on an iOptron CEM40EC. Loaded with a 6200mm, filter wheel, OAG, reducer, auto focuser, FlipFlat and Asi AP, I would guess its approx 26-28lbs. This configuration consistently runs at sub 0.50".  The mount is extremely light and if you have the 1-1/8" counterweight bar on your Mach1, you can 'bling' it out with your existing AP counterweights! ;)

Best of luck!

Michael

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 12:31:13 PM EDT, Kevin Cook <kvc3509@...> wrote:

[...]

Christopher Erickson

I have an RST-135E, a ZWO AM5 and I used to have an RST-135. Of those, the RST-135 would be my suggestion. I haven't done much with my Mach1, 1100GTO and 1600GTO since getting into the small harmonic mounts.

For me, the small harmonic mounts have certainly put a lot more fun back into astronomy.

My back is fine and I have no problem slogging my big mounts around. It's just that there are times when I just want something simple, fast and light.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 7:07 AM Michael Kelly <Michael@...> wrote:
[...]

Greg Salyer

I use an RST-135E with my FSQ-106 scope. It’s certainly not an AP but it’s very light, works well and makes portable operations a joy. However, unless you plan to use its extensive hand controller functions, I suspect one of the newer far less expensive drives might be a better choice.

Roland Christen

I've been following the development of the various harmonic mounts that are now out there. All of them have inherent errors that limit the tracking accuracy, and none will be as accurate as a well machined worm drive. The closest well designed and well made mount that as decent tracking accuracy would be the Rainbow 135 with encoder. As far as the rest of them - I think you will struggle to get high resolution images out of them.

If we do make a smaller mount about the size of a mini-Mach2, it won't be for at least a year or more. I do see that being the future however, since the hobby is ageing (along with me), and people just don't like schlepping large equipment out to dark sky sites.

[...]

Greg - Thanks for your advice.  I suspect a harmonic mount might be perfect for my outreach efforts with a smaller scope, but have my doubts when it comes to tracked and guided astrophotography.  Are you doing photography with that mount and your FSQ106, and are you happy with the results?

Kevin

Kevin Cook

Roland - Oh, dare I hold out hope for a mini-Mach mount?  If that is in the cards, even as a remote possibility, that makes my mount choice much simpler, though I might have to delay my transition to a lighter system.  Put my name on the list for that mount - though the delivery address might have to be in a hospital room TBD!

Thanks.   Kevin

Roland Christen

Don't wait. Buy something now that will be fun to use. You can always trade up at some future point if something better comes along.

Roland - Oh, dare I hold out hope for a mini-Mach mount?  If that is in the cards, even as a remote possibility, that makes my mount choice much simpler, though I might have to delay my transition to a lighter system.  Put my name on the list for that mount - though the delivery address might have to be in a hospital room TBD!

Thanks.   Kevin

Christopher Erickson

This has been my plan. Use my (buckets of fun) RST-135E and sell it the moment I have my greedy fingers wrapped around a Mach-Mini.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 7:53 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Don't wait. Buy something now that will be fun to use. You can always trade up at some future point if something better comes along.

Roland - Oh, dare I hold out hope for a mini-Mach mount?  If that is in the cards, even as a remote possibility, that makes my mount choice much simpler, though I might have to delay my transition to a lighter system.  Put my name on the list for that mount - though the delivery address might have to be in a hospital room TBD!

Thanks.   Kevin

Bill Long

Pegasus has the NYX-101 coming out later this year, I have been watching that product closely. No encoder, but should manage well enough with good guiding. Similar to the others on the market without an encoder.

Roland - Oh, dare I hold out hope for a mini-Mach mount?  If that is in the cards, even as a remote possibility, that makes my mount choice much simpler, though I might have to delay my transition to a lighter system.  Put my name on the list for that mount - though the delivery address might have to be in a hospital room TBD!

Thanks.   Kevin

Christopher Erickson

I plan to get one of those too.

-Christopher Erickson