A "next mount" question for this group

Kevin Cook

I need some advice from this august set of AP mount fans.  I have been happily perking along with an older AD130EDF mounted on a Mach 1.  My usage is probably 80% photography for myself (using an ASI2600MC PRO camera) and astronomy outreach using EAA with the same camera (run by an ASAAIR PRO).  This setup just works.  But there is a rub.  My lumbar spine is becoming a real problem.  L1-L5 are a train wreck, and I am not talking about my Lagrange points either.  I am not supposed to be lifting anything over 20lbs now.  I just did a late outreach session over the weekend, and I was thinking that I am just one lift away from disaster.  My scope, with D-plate, rings, and ZWO EAF mounted in its wheeled Tenba case weighs 38lbs.  Manageable for now, but the size of the scope makes it a bit awkward mounting and un-mounting the OTA.  I am already downsizing from three scopes to just one, keeping the AP130, but its day might be numbered.  My next scope is an AP110, and there is one in Illinois with my name on it (Roland just refuses to admit that yet!).  If I lose out on the lottery, the replacement will be something in the 90-115mm range, and there are multiple options out there.

The Mach 1 mount head, with a saddle plate attached and in the counterweight bar in my Nanuk case, weighs 48lbs.  Replacing the Mach 1 with something lighter but of comparable quality is the real challenge.  Unlike most of the discussions on this group, I am not looking to upgrade my mount to handle a larger OTA, I am not looking for absolute encoders or remote operation - I just want lighter without giving up the AP performance I am used to.  The new harmonic mounts (AM5, RST135) are one option.  I see them as very appealing for EAA outreach.  For my own astrophotography, I would probably would have more confidence in a conventional equatorial mount like an iOptron GEM45 or a Losmandy GM8.  Is there anything else out there that would meet my needs?  Or does anyone have experience with any of those lighter mounts?  I know there have been discussions on this group about wishing for a lighter AP mount, a baby Mach 0.5, but Roland has been clear that ain't likely to happen.  All of my outreach, and my photography at the TAAA's dark sky site, involve car travel and setting up the gear for as short as a 2-hour outreach session to as long as 3-4 nights at the dark sky site.  Keeping a heavier setup in my backyard, given Tucson's night skies, is not an option.

The back is forcing me to downsize in a number of other ways - the kayaks, ski gear, and scuba gear have all been sold or donated this summer.  Now the wife and the dog are afraid to come near me.  Your advice and ideas are much appreciated.  Thank you.

Kevin Cook

Michael Kelly

Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your back, sounds horrible!!  In lieu of the non-existent Mach0.5, I can share my experience.  I have a William 132FLT on an iOptron CEM40EC. Loaded with a 6200mm, filter wheel, OAG, reducer, auto focuser, FlipFlat and Asi AP, I would guess its approx 26-28lbs. This configuration consistently runs at sub 0.50".  The mount is extremely light and if you have the 1-1/8" counterweight bar on your Mach1, you can 'bling' it out with your existing AP counterweights! ;) 

Best of luck!

Michael

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 12:31:13 PM EDT, Kevin Cook <kvc3509@...> wrote:

I need some advice from this august set of AP mount fans.  I have been happily perking along with an older AD130EDF mounted on a Mach 1.  My usage is probably 80% photography for myself (using an ASI2600MC PRO camera) and astronomy outreach using EAA with the same camera (run by an ASAAIR PRO).  This setup just works.  But there is a rub.  My lumbar spine is becoming a real problem.  L1-L5 are a train wreck, and I am not talking about my Lagrange points either.  I am not supposed to be lifting anything over 20lbs now.  I just did a late outreach session over the weekend, and I was thinking that I am just one lift away from disaster.  My scope, with D-plate, rings, and ZWO EAF mounted in its wheeled Tenba case weighs 38lbs.  Manageable for now, but the size of the scope makes it a bit awkward mounting and un-mounting the OTA.  I am already downsizing from three scopes to just one, keeping the AP130, but its day might be numbered.  My next scope is an AP110, and there is one in Illinois with my name on it (Roland just refuses to admit that yet!).  If I lose out on the lottery, the replacement will be something in the 90-115mm range, and there are multiple options out there.

The Mach 1 mount head, with a saddle plate attached and in the counterweight bar in my Nanuk case, weighs 48lbs.  Replacing the Mach 1 with something lighter but of comparable quality is the real challenge.  Unlike most of the discussions on this group, I am not looking to upgrade my mount to handle a larger OTA, I am not looking for absolute encoders or remote operation - I just want lighter without giving up the AP performance I am used to.  The new harmonic mounts (AM5, RST135) are one option.  I see them as very appealing for EAA outreach.  For my own astrophotography, I would probably would have more confidence in a conventional equatorial mount like an iOptron GEM45 or a Losmandy GM8.  Is there anything else out there that would meet my needs?  Or does anyone have experience with any of those lighter mounts?  I know there have been discussions on this group about wishing for a lighter AP mount, a baby Mach 0.5, but Roland has been clear that ain't likely to happen.  All of my outreach, and my photography at the TAAA's dark sky site, involve car travel and setting up the gear for as short as a 2-hour outreach session to as long as 3-4 nights at the dark sky site.  Keeping a heavier setup in my backyard, given Tucson's night skies, is not an option.

The back is forcing me to downsize in a number of other ways - the kayaks, ski gear, and scuba gear have all been sold or donated this summer.  Now the wife and the dog are afraid to come near me.  Your advice and ideas are much appreciated.  Thank you.

Kevin Cook

Christopher Erickson

I have an RST-135E, a ZWO AM5 and I used to have an RST-135. Of those, the RST-135 would be my suggestion. I haven't done much with my Mach1, 1100GTO and 1600GTO since getting into the small harmonic mounts.

For me, the small harmonic mounts have certainly put a lot more fun back into astronomy.

My back is fine and I have no problem slogging my big mounts around. It's just that there are times when I just want something simple, fast and light.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 7:07 AM Michael Kelly <Michael@...> wrote:
Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your back, sounds horrible!!  In lieu of the non-existent Mach0.5, I can share my experience.  I have a William 132FLT on an iOptron CEM40EC. Loaded with a 6200mm, filter wheel, OAG, reducer, auto focuser, FlipFlat and Asi AP, I would guess its approx 26-28lbs. This configuration consistently runs at sub 0.50".  The mount is extremely light and if you have the 1-1/8" counterweight bar on your Mach1, you can 'bling' it out with your existing AP counterweights! ;) 

Best of luck!

Michael

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 12:31:13 PM EDT, Kevin Cook <kvc3509@...> wrote:

Kevin Cook

Greg Salyer

I use an RST-135E with my FSQ-106 scope. It’s certainly not an AP but it’s very light, works well and makes portable operations a joy. However, unless you plan to use its extensive hand controller functions, I suspect one of the newer far less expensive drives might be a better choice. 

Roland Christen

I've been following the development of the various harmonic mounts that are now out there. All of them have inherent errors that limit the tracking accuracy, and none will be as accurate as a well machined worm drive. The closest well designed and well made mount that as decent tracking accuracy would be the Rainbow 135 with encoder. As far as the rest of them - I think you will struggle to get high resolution images out of them.

If we do make a smaller mount about the size of a mini-Mach2, it won't be for at least a year or more. I do see that being the future however, since the hobby is ageing (along with me), and people just don't like schlepping large equipment out to dark sky sites.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 28, 2022 11:31 am
Subject: [ap-gto] A "next mount" question for this group

Kevin Cook

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Kevin Cook

Greg - Thanks for your advice.  I suspect a harmonic mount might be perfect for my outreach efforts with a smaller scope, but have my doubts when it comes to tracked and guided astrophotography.  Are you doing photography with that mount and your FSQ106, and are you happy with the results?

Kevin

Kevin Cook

Roland - Oh, dare I hold out hope for a mini-Mach mount?  If that is in the cards, even as a remote possibility, that makes my mount choice much simpler, though I might have to delay my transition to a lighter system.  Put my name on the list for that mount - though the delivery address might have to be in a hospital room TBD!

Thanks.   Kevin

Roland Christen

Don't wait. Buy something now that will be fun to use. You can always trade up at some future point if something better comes along.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Sep 28, 2022 12:50 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] A "next mount" question for this group

Roland - Oh, dare I hold out hope for a mini-Mach mount?  If that is in the cards, even as a remote possibility, that makes my mount choice much simpler, though I might have to delay my transition to a lighter system.  Put my name on the list for that mount - though the delivery address might have to be in a hospital room TBD!

Thanks.   Kevin

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Christopher Erickson

This has been my plan. Use my (buckets of fun) RST-135E and sell it the moment I have my greedy fingers wrapped around a Mach-Mini.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 7:53 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Don't wait. Buy something now that will be fun to use. You can always trade up at some future point if something better comes along.

Rolando

Thanks.   Kevin

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Bill Long

Pegasus has the NYX-101 coming out later this year, I have been watching that product closely. No encoder, but should manage well enough with good guiding. Similar to the others on the market without an encoder.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2022 11:01 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

This has been my plan. Use my (buckets of fun) RST-135E and sell it the moment I have my greedy fingers wrapped around a Mach-Mini.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 7:53 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

Thanks.   Kevin

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Christopher Erickson

I plan to get one of those too.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022, 8:06 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
Pegasus has the NYX-101 coming out later this year, I have been watching that product closely. No encoder, but should manage well enough with good guiding. Similar to the others on the market without an encoder.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...>

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Rolando

Thanks.   Kevin

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Andrew Burwell

I've been using the 135E since it came out. And still do consider it the best travel mount out there. It's extremely compact, and light. I've used it with everything from a 135mm focal length refractor up to an EdgeHD 8" at 2032mm focal length, and it's the only one of these new mounts that can reliably keep the total RMS error under the pixel scale of the Edge at 2032mm/ASI2600 combo. 

Here's some images at this focal length with 5 minute subs. https://www.astrobin.com/lfljqt/ 

https://www.astrobin.com/93zr7o/

While I do have a 10Micron now, and a Mach 2 set to deliver next month, I plan on putting them in a remote observatory. I find I use my 135E most often because the setup procedure is to literally carry it outside and turn it on (often with the scope attached). Where as my 10Micron I have to disassemble, carry out piece by piece, and then rebuild it in the back yard to use it. I've also packed my 135E with a scope and tripod in a single airline sized pelican case and taken it with me on a trip to New Mexico. I could have never done that with a larger mount.

-Andrew

Andrew Burwell

Whoops, one of those images was the 10Micron. Haha. Here's another with the 135E https://www.astrobin.com/0p7unr/B/

-Andrew

Bill Long

The cost to portability on it is very good. Since it has the RA power loss braking, which was my only hang-up on the RST135, I am just waiting for the NYX-101 to appear in-stock. I have had good experiences with Pegasus products and their service and support is great as well.

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2022 11:10 AM

I plan to get one of those too.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022, 8:06 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Rolando

Thanks.   Kevin

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Kevin Cook

Thanks to all for the advice, looks like the RST-135E might be a great outreach mount for the near future as well as a good travel.  Question (and probably a dumb one) for those of you using the RST-135E mount for photography - with the encoder on only the RA axis, are you still guiding but start with less inherent RA error, or are you using the RST-135E unguided?

Kevin

Greg Salyer

Edited

Kevin, I use the RST-135E/FSQ-106 solely for imaging. I’m a bit sloppy about refining my PA so I use a Williams Optics 200mm focal length f/4 guide scope. I get under 0.5” guiding. If I paid more attention to my PA I’m sure I could go unguided given that the FSQ has only a 530mm focal length.

And yes, I’m very happy with the results.

dvjbaja

The ZWO AM5 has been well received by the amateur community.  Add the ASI Air, moto focus, small guidescope, and you have a fully integrated small system that won't break the back.  I use the Stowaway on my RST-135 and carbon tripod.  You can do EAA in alt-az mode with lots of short, unguided exposures too.  I use the same mount for the FSQ, and a Mewlon 210.  

Nice to read that Roland is thinking on a small mount.   

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Andrew Burwell

Unguided works for below 500mm focal length on this mount. But to image with the Edge 8" at 2032, you do have to guide. The only reason it's possible to image at this focal length on this scope, is the encoder corrects most of the PE error inherent in this type of mount. The PE is now low enough that you can guide reliably at longer focal lengths with 3-4 second guide subs, which you can't do at all when there's more PE.

-Andrew

Ram

If you do make a mach mini. I expect it will be very popular. I will definitely get on the list.

I recently received a AM5 harmonic mount. I've been using it for about a month. I have tested it with fairly heavy loads -- far exceeding the specified weight limits without counterweight. Neither DEC nor RA was even remotely balanced. 

The mount is surprisingly powerful for 5kg. It throws around 14kgs of payload like it is nothing. My biggest worry was that it would destroy the equipment due to not having any software limits or limit switches. Software is still behind the curve for this mount.
Unguided performance is pretty bad with a total "periodic" error of around 20 arc secs. I use "periodic" within quotes as the error clearly isn't periodic.
When guided, performance appears to be seeing limited. Under very good seeing conditions (for me), total RMS error was about 0.40 arc secs. This is quite good for my location. This is despite being so horribly unbalanced.
Guiding needs to be fast with this mount - 0.5 to 1 sec guiding intervals. That prevents one from using an off axis guider.
Multi-star guiding is the magic that makes this mount behave so well. With MSG, you can almost entirely eliminate seeing effects from fast guiding as the effects are being averaged across many stars over a wide field.
Turning off MSG immediately raises the total RMS error to well over 1.3 arc secs. 

Please don't rule out strain wave gear mounts. They are definitely not as good for tracking but with the right software, maybe absolute encoders, they can perform reasonably well.

Eric Weiner

I also use an RST-135E as a more portable solution compared to my MACH2GTO.  It has its quirks, but I have no complaints.  Just be wary of parking it in Position 3 using it's organic hand controller.  Many have reported unwanted/uncontrolled slews when using that park position with the hand controller.  I've read that is isn't an issue when using a PC/laptop, but have no experience with that. 

I just bought a Supermount CYG48GRDL for it. Highly recommended.  Namteak is really good about answering questions and gets it in the mail really fast.  I did have issues where DHL tried to charge me import duties which was a pain, but Namteak help with resolving that.  We have a trade agreement with S. Korea so don't pay the fees if they try to charge you.  The CYG48 has really superior build quality.  You could get away with the 42 in most cases, but I'm happy I went with the beefier 48 for imaging.  I don't overload the 135E like many do.  I use it with my Stowaway and Tak Mewlon 210 for both visuals and imaging. 

Eric