A few 3D printed parts I designed #Mach2GTO

Carl Björk

Edited

Hi All,

I didn't like the keypad/power caps provided as they don't hold well enough for me.

So I deigned a cap. It "clicks-in" so no risk of it coming off unwanted.

Also while I was at it I designed an accessories tray. It has been designed to attach to the Losmandy tripod adapter (LT2APM).

--Edit: Also I have not printed the Allen key holder I designed, but still attached the stl file.
Do not use the below design, while working on the tray mk2 I realized the diameters for the keys are wrong (I used internal diameter of the key instead of external).
Please let me know if you need it and will provide a corrected version ;-)

I hope this can be useful to someone.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl Björk

Just an additional picture to show that the tray has been designed for minimal constraints.

It is resting on the adapter, the pier and the control box ear (Losmandy ear, supports the bottom of the tray).

Bob

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bob

M Hambrick

I like those caps.

Hirose makes the power and keypad connectors on the CP4/5. They used to sell metal caps with rubber gaskets for them as well, but I think they stopped making that particular part.

Mike

fernandorivera3

Very interesting, Carl 👍

Fernando

midmoastro

Carl,
Nice work and thanks for sharing.
Todd

Carl Björk

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 10:32 AM, Carl Björk wrote:
Also while I was at it I designed an accessories tray. It has been designed to attach to the Losmandy tripod adapter (LT2APM).
Mk2, with tommy bar, 3/16 and 5/32 key holders (on the left).

Carl Björk

Do not worry, I'll buy keys not/less prone to rust ;-)

Carl Björk

Oh, I should mention those designs are free exclusively for non commercial purposes, as per the license of the software I have used ;-)

Peter Nagy

Thanks Carl for providing STL files for your design. I printed the caps for Keypad and Power connectors.

Peter

Carl Björk

Thanks for the feedback Peter, I always have the best feeling when sharing something useful to others.
Also great print, choice of color and picture!

Carl

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 07:22 PM, Peter Nagy wrote:
Thanks Carl for providing STL files for your design. I printed the caps for Keypad and Power connectors.

Peter Nagy

Carl,

Hope you don't mind me tweaking your original design of your CP4/5 cap. I modified to make it look like original Hirose plug to be able turn the cap and lock it. I've attached an STL file. It's very rough and done with tinkercad.com software. It seems to work functionally well.

Peter

Carl Björk

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 10:28 PM, Peter Nagy wrote:
Hope you don't mind me tweaking your original design
Absolutely not, on the contrary I encourage it ;-)

I took a quick'n'easy approach with this design, but since there is an interest I'll be working on a new version with "rotating lock".
I will be keeping the "click-in" feature.

It might take a few days/weeks though, as I have many ongoing project, incl. commissioning the Mach2 ;-)

Carl Björk

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 11:11 PM, Carl Björk wrote:
It might take a few days/weeks though
Peter,

While I take the time to design a proper "click-lock" feature here is a quick slot version.
I have used a 30° slit, please let me know if it is enough.

I have not tried the part and do not know how it will print with support, so YMMV ;-)

Cheers,

Carl

Carl Björk

Wait, I put the slits the wrong way :'-D

Peter Nagy

Hi Carl,

Your version looks much nicer. Are you using Fusion360 CAD software? I tried to learn it but it seems to have a steep learning curve but it's very powerful. www.tinkercad.com is much easier but not nearly as powerful as Fusion360 but it meets my needs so far.

I'll try out your version and let you know.

Thanks for making this.

Peter

Carl Björk

There, better :')

Peter Nagy

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 02:30 PM, Carl Björk wrote:
Wait, I put the slits the wrong way :'-D
Good thing you noticed it. Yes, the slits are in the wrong way. Good catch!!!

Peter

Carl Björk

Hi Peter,

Thanks! Yes I am indeed using Fusion 360. It is a bit confusing at first but once you understand it works like machining parts you get around how to build things with it.

I found that 1h tutorial is sufficient to do any part, then if needed watch more tutorials for specific things such as the outer pattern of the cap. Just start with simple parts to get a grasp of how it works.

If it can help you I am attaching the F360 design file of the cap.

Also F360 can be used for free given you do not make a commercial use of it, that you have only up to 10 editable projects at a time (you can as many as you wish only edit 10, this is an issue for people using components imported and reused in other projects).
And you need to renew your free license every 12 months.

Cheers,

Carl

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 11:42 PM, Carl Björk wrote:
If it can help you I am attaching the F360 design file of the cap.
On the bottom bar, click play and/or use the arrows to step through each process to see how the part is produced ;-)