Mach2 USB

Yves Laroche

Hi Peter,

First, NINA (version 2.0 HF1 Beta010) doesn't support ZWO native driver only ASCOM.

Are you sure your binning mode is 1x1 ?  There is a huge difference of downloading time between 1x1 and 2x2.

Regards,
Yves

Le 22/07/22 23:48, Peter Nagy <topboxman@...> a écrit :
Hi Yves,

If you are using ASCOM driver for your camera, the download speeds will be quite a bit slower as explained by Dale than native driver. If NINA supports ZWO native camera driver, then you should try using native instead of ASCOM camera driver.

My computers:

Desktop: Home built, Intel i7 3820 CPU @ 3.6 GHz clock
Laptop: HP Envy, Intel i5 4200M CPU @ 2.5 GHz clock

Both computers resulted same download speeds using native driver regardless of capture software application (Voyager, Nebulosity and NINA). My laptop is significantly slower but it didn't affect download speeds as compared to my much faster desktop computer.

Peter

Peter Nagy

Yes it's binning 1x1. If my downloaded file sizes are 120MBytes, then it's bin 1x1.

Peter

Dale Ghent

On Jul 23, 2022, at 10:05, Peter Nagy <topboxman@...> wrote:

Yes it's binning 1x1. If my downloaded file sizes are 120MBytes, then it's bin 1x1.
60 millions pixels, times 16 bits per pixel, divided by 8 to convert to bytes, does yield 120MB images, modulo the extra little bit for file format headers.

A note about binning - on CMOS, any binning is usually done in the SDK. So this means the full frame is coming from the camera, across the wire, where the SDK is then additively binning the pixels together and passing the result up to the app/ASCOM driver.

/dale

Nick Iversen

So that means that binning 2x2 means that image downloads will be slower than 1x1. Unintuitive. probably not noticeable in practice because downloads are saved to disk and that's going to be faster for 2x2.

Sébastien Doré

That would depend on your camera. Some bin on the FPGA, after readout (but still in-camera), so you get the 4x size reduction (for 2x2 binning) before the image reaches the datalink (USB).

But I think the QHY/ASI do it in the SDK (on the computer) as Dale mentioned.

In that case, it’s not the download that would be slower per say but the additional pre-processing step required before you get the image would indeed add a bit of delay, though barely noticeable (depending on your PC horsepower) as you pointed out.

Sébastien

Le 24 juill. 2022 à 23:47, Nick Iversen <inoddy@...> a écrit :

So that means that binning 2x2 means that image downloads will be slower than 1x1. Unintuitive. probably not noticeable in practice because downloads are saved to disk and that's going to be faster for 2x2.

prestoncheatham

Dean,

Yes, I am using short L-com usb cables and the through the mount usb works well.  I added a Pegasus to manage my power cables and that also removed a lot of headaches.

If I could just get the pc connected to the mount the first time I would be happy, but that is another topic.

Preston