From: prestoncheatham <holmescheatham@...>
To: mainap-gtogroupsio <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jul 16, 2022 10:46 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2 USB

My new Mach2 works flawlessly and very quiet.  When I try to connect a ZWO camera through the "in mount" usb I get either an intermittent connection or none at all.  I have tried 3.0, 2.0, active and short as possible cables with no luck.  What am I doing wrong?

Preston

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM, prestoncheatham wrote:
 When I try to connect a ZWO camera through the "in mount" usb I get either an intermittent connection or none at all.
If that's those flat cables often shipped with the cameras, throw them away and get a better quality cable as well as following Roland's advice. People complain all the time about those flat cables.  my GUESS is the flat nature leaves the pairs un-twisted  and/or un-shielded and reduces their EMI rejection.

I like L-Com for USB cables, you can buy most any length and any connector orientation (right, left, straight, etc.) and they work. They are expensive, you pay for shipping but... they work.  (Apologies if you are not in the US, I do not know if they ship internationally).

Linwood

Charles Thompson

Hi Preston, what is the total distance or number of connections in your USB path?

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

From: "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 7/16/22 11:55 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Keep all your cables very short. Keep the number of interconnections to an absolute minimum. Use only 2 cables total, one very short cable from the camera to the mount, then one cable (extension cable) from the mount to your computer.

My new Mach2 works flawlessly and very quiet.  When I try to connect a ZWO camera through the "in mount" usb I get either an intermittent connection or none at all.  I have tried 3.0, 2.0, active and short as possible cables with no luck.  What am I doing wrong?

Preston

prestoncheatham

Dean,

I don't have a good picture right now but I will get one as soon as I have a chance.

Preston

--
Dean Jacobsen

Michael Kelly

Dean,

Which ZWO camera do you have?  My 6200’s will connect no worries thru a 3.0 hub, but my 2600 does not!   According to ZWO forums, the 2600 somehow initialized in 2.0 before switching to 3.0.  The work around is run the camera thru a usb hub first. So if you have a 2600, this very well may be your issue.

Best of luck!

On Saturday, July 16, 2022, 1:07 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 08:46 AM, prestoncheatham wrote:

My new Mach2 works flawlessly and very quiet.  When I try to connect a ZWO camera through the "in mount" usb I get either an intermittent connection or none at all.  I have tried 3.0, 2.0, active and short as possible cables with no luck.  What am I doing wrong?

Sometimes a picture is helpful in troubleshooting.  Do you have a picture of how you have the cables configured/connected?

I have a short 3 foot USB 3 cable running from the mount to my laptop and another 3 foor USB 3 cable running from the mount to the ZWO camera.  I can use the camera as a USB hub for guide cameras, filter wheels, etc.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Sébastien Doré

L-COM do ship internationally (at least to Canada).

If it is a matter of cable quality, try these industrial grade (heavily mechanically and electrically shielded + low temp flexible) model. I use them between the PPBA and the Mach 2 port on the DEC. Worked fine so far. Not too expensive either If I recall.

As another test suggestion, make sure to turn off Wifi in your CP5. The USB port on the RA is so very close to the wifi antenna (if your CP5 is located at the back on the mount) that EMI can probably make its way through.

Sébastien

Le 16 juill. 2022 à 12:25, ap@... <ap@...> a écrit :

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM, prestoncheatham wrote:
 When I try to connect a ZWO camera through the "in mount" usb I get either an intermittent connection or none at all.
If that's those flat cables often shipped with the cameras, throw them away and get a better quality cable as well as following Roland's advice. People complain all the time about those flat cables.  my GUESS is the flat nature leaves the pairs un-twisted  and/or un-shielded and reduces their EMI rejection.

I like L-Com for USB cables, you can buy most any length and any connector orientation (right, left, straight, etc.) and they work. They are expensive, you pay for shipping but... they work.  (Apologies if you are not in the US, I do not know if they ship internationally).

Linwood

prestoncheatham

Dean,

Not great photos but hopefully it will give you and idea of my setup.

Preston

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 08:46 AM, prestoncheatham wrote:

My new Mach2 works flawlessly and very quiet.  When I try to connect a ZWO camera through the "in mount" usb I get either an intermittent connection or none at all.  I have tried 3.0, 2.0, active and short as possible cables with no luck.  What am I doing wrong?

Sometimes a picture is helpful in troubleshooting.  Do you have a picture of how you have the cables configured/connected?

I have a short 3 foot USB 3 cable running from the mount to my laptop and another 3 foor USB 3 cable running from the mount to the ZWO camera.  I can use the camera as a USB hub for guide cameras, filter wheels, etc.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

It is hard to tell from the first photo where the cables are plugged into on the camera.

Where is the flat cable plugged in?

Where is the cable with the choke plugged in?

Do you have 12 volt DC coming into the camera?
--
Dean Jacobsen

Eric Weiner

FWIW, all camera connection problems I had early on with my Mach2 ended up being caused by cheap USB-3 cables. L-Com cables fixed the problem for me as well.

Eric

Howard Ritter

For now…

Better get your AP gear before the Lone Star Republic charges import duty!

–howard

[...]

The flat cable is plugged into the USB on the camera and the USB on the mount.  The round cable supplies the 12v DC for the camera cooler.

It is hard to tell from the first photo where the cables are plugged into on the camera.

Where is the flat cable plugged in?

Where is the cable with the choke plugged in?

Do you have 12 volt DC coming into the camera?
--
Dean Jacobsen

prestoncheatham

I would agree with you but Karen will probably say I am getting off topic.

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM, prestoncheatham wrote:
 When I try to connect a ZWO camera through the "in mount" usb I get either an intermittent connection or none at all.
If that's those flat cables often shipped with the cameras, throw them away and get a better quality cable as well as following Roland's advice. People complain all the time about those flat cables.  my GUESS is the flat nature leaves the pairs un-twisted  and/or un-shielded and reduces their EMI rejection.

I like L-Com for USB cables, you can buy most any length and any connector orientation (right, left, straight, etc.) and they work. They are expensive, you pay for shipping but... they work.  (Apologies if you are not in the US, I do not know if they ship internationally).

Linwood

Woody Schlom

Another strong recommendation for L-com USB cables!

In my experience, their cables start out not that expensive, but after adding their 13% Chinese Tariff charge (for those of us in the U.S.) and shipping (particularly shipping) they get pretty expensive.  So I never order just one cable – I order at least one spare.

They also publish the specs. for each of their cables, so you can see the individual wire size (larger wire size is almost always better – particularly the two power wires inside the cable for CMOS cameras), which pairs are twisted (or not) and whether they’re single or double-shielded and what the shielding material is (foil and/or braid).

Some of the ones I use even have ferrite chokes on both ends!

L-com is an international company so I’m sure they ship to Canada.

Woody

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 11:29 AM, prestoncheatham wrote:

The flat cable is plugged into the USB on the camera and the USB on the mount.  The round cable supplies the 12v DC for the camera cooler.

Can you get a good connection if you completely bypass the through-the-mount cable and connect directly to the camera?

--
Dean Jacobsen

Dean Jacobsen

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 11:29 AM, prestoncheatham wrote:
The flat cable is plugged into the USB on the camera and the USB on the mount.  The round cable supplies the 12v DC for the camera cooler.
... also, have you checked your 12 volt cable at the camera with a voltmeter to make sure you don't have a bad connection or cable somewhere along the line?  I can't see the name of the camera in the photo but the newer ZWO cameras with the larger detectors need to have 12 volts all the time to work.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Marcelo Figueroa

I use a Pegasus Power Box mounted on top of the tescope, all devices connect to this (usb and power) and this to the respective outputs of my Mach 2. And then the inputs of the Mach 2 to a 12v power supply and to the usb of my laptop. It works perfect.

(I use usb 2.0, much more stable and reliable than usb 3).

The mount itself is connected directly to its power supply and this to the outlet.