[ap-ug] AP 900 Dec frozen

thefamily90 Phillips

Definitely the problem is with the cable. Originally, I was able to use the keypad to move the scope east west, but I could not get the keypad to move the mount north south. So, once it cooled off this afternoon I switched the cables and the scope would now move north south but not east west! Have ordered a new cable from Astro and physics. Thanks Roland!!

JimP 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 12:36:49 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>; chris1011@... <chris1011@...>; ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>; ap-gto@groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] AP 900 Dec frozen

I have had trouble with that cable for the Dec axis in the past. Apparently, the person I purchased the mount from was using a cable that was far too short And I had trouble placing the CP3 computer close enough to the Dec access to be able to use it properly. The Dec cable is too short. So, I went to Astro-physics.com and ordered a Y cable for the 900 mount. Thanks!!

Jim 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 11:35:20 AM
To: chris1011@... <chris1011@...>; ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>; ap-gto@groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] AP 900 Dec frozen

Ok, will do. Thanks!

Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 11:24:23 AM
To: thefamily90@... <thefamily90@...>; ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>; ap-gto@groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>

I doubt that anything mechanical is frozen. You may simply have a bad connection to the Dec motor. Check that your cables are firmly plugged in.

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>; AP-GTO Groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jun 25, 2022 10:12 am
Subject: [ap-ug] AP 900 Dec frozen

Hello all,
Much to my dismay, after getting up at 4:00 AM to view Jupiter I found the Dec gear was frozen. When using the keypad the scope moved just fine in RA but would not budge N-S. I loosened all knobs on the Dec axis and while I could forcefully move the scope N-S it is clearly frozen or certainly near so. What have I done??? Any thoughts?

JimP  

--
Jim Phillips

--
Jim Phillips

thefamily90 Phillips

I have had trouble with that cable for the Dec axis in the past. Apparently, the person I purchased the mount from was using a cable that was far too short And I had trouble placing the CP3 computer close enough to the Dec access to be able to use it properly. The Dec cable is too short. So, I went to Astro-physics.com and ordered a Y cable for the 900 mount. Thanks!!

Jim 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 11:35:20 AM
To: chris1011@... <chris1011@...>; ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>; ap-gto@groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>

Ok, will do. Thanks!

To: thefamily90@... <thefamily90@...>; ap-ug@groups.io <ap-ug@groups.io>; ap-gto@groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>

I doubt that anything mechanical is frozen. You may simply have a bad connection to the Dec motor. Check that your cables are firmly plugged in.

Hello all,
Much to my dismay, after getting up at 4:00 AM to view Jupiter I found the Dec gear was frozen. When using the keypad the scope moved just fine in RA but would not budge N-S. I loosened all knobs on the Dec axis and while I could forcefully move the scope N-S it is clearly frozen or certainly near so. What have I done??? Any thoughts?

JimP  

--
Jim Phillips

--
Jim Phillips

thefamily90 Phillips

Ok, will do. Thanks!

Hello all,

JimP  

--
Jim Phillips

Roland Christen

Hello all,

JimP  

--
Jim Phillips

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics