Using APCC with two mounts, 1 with encoders

W Hilmo

I have been using a single computer with APCC Pro to control my two Astro-Physics mounts (not at the same time).  This has worked fine for a long time, but now I am getting an error that I haven't been able to clear.

The two mounts are an AP1600 with Absolute Encoders and an AP1100 without encoders.  I have two settings (.ApccZ), one for each mount.  I am switching from the AP1600 to the AP1100 for travel.  I loaded the settings file from when I last used the AP1100.  When it connects to the mount, it immediately starts throwing errors that it's getting no response from the DEC encoder and RA encoder.  Of course, this is true, since this mount doesn't have absolute encoders.

Where is APCC getting the configuration information that the mount is an encoder mount?  I have deleted the Settings.apcc file, with no change in behavior.  And if I clear the errors, it just throws them again a few minutes later.

Thanks,
-Wade

W Hilmo

Just as an update, I tried deleting the entire "c:\programdata\astro-physics\apcc" directory and starting over.  It still thinks that I have an encoder mount.

At this point, I can't stop it from throwing this error over and over.

Thanks,
-Wade

On 6/16/22 4:35 PM, W Hilmo wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

Are you using the same CP4 for both? You cannot use the CP4 set up with encoders on a non-encoder mount.

Roland

[...]

Nope.

They each have their own CP4 controller.  I purchased both controllers at once.  At the time, I described my two mounts and that one was an encoder mount and one not.  I seem to remember that I was careful about which serial number CP4 was going to go with which mount, and I have kept them associated with the correct mount, ever since.

This has been working fine up until now.  The last time I used the AP1100 was October last year. It's been a couple of months since I used the AP1600 (yay weather).  I have updated APCC Pro to the current version (1.9.4.3) since then.  So if there was a change in APCC that could affect this, that might be what's happening.

Thanks,
-Wade

On 6/16/22 5:01 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Hi Wade,

Where is APCC getting the configuration information that the mount is an encoder mount
It reads configuration from your CP4.

-Ray

[...]

Interesting.

I have been using this configuration with these mounts for about 4 years.  Tonight is the first time that I've seen this behavior.

In any case, I need to figure out what I need to do to correct it.

Thanks,
-Wade

On 6/16/22 7:42 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Hi Wade,

[...]

You may have accidentally switched CP4s?

Roland

I have been using this configuration with these mounts for about 4
years.  Tonight is the first time that I've seen this behavior.

In any case, I need to figure out what I need to do to correct it.

Thanks,
-Wade

On 6/16/22 7:42 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
> Hi Wade,
>
>> Where is APCC getting the configuration information that the mount is an encoder mount
> It reads configuration from your CP4.
>
> -Ray

W Hilmo

The AP1100 and it's CP4 have been on the shelf for the last 7 months, and the AP1600 has been on the pier in service.  Also, the CP4 for the AP1100 has a bracket to attach to the portable field pier.  The CP4 for the AP1600 mounts on the side of the RA without a bracket.  It would be impossible to accidentally switch them.

-Wade

On 6/16/22 8:07 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:

You may have accidentally switched CP4s?

Roland

I have been using this configuration with these mounts for about 4
years.  Tonight is the first time that I've seen this behavior.

In any case, I need to figure out what I need to do to correct it.

Thanks,
-Wade

On 6/16/22 7:42 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
> Hi Wade,
>
>> Where is APCC getting the configuration information that the mount is an encoder mount
> It reads configuration from your CP4.
>
> -Ray

You can talk to Howard in the morning. I'm sure he can help resolve this for you.

Roland

I have been using this configuration with these mounts for about 4
years.  Tonight is the first time that I've seen this behavior.

In any case, I need to figure out what I need to do to correct it.

Thanks,
-Wade

On 6/16/22 7:42 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
> Hi Wade,
>
>> Where is APCC getting the configuration information that the mount is an encoder mount
> It reads configuration from your CP4.
>
> -Ray

W Hilmo

No problem.