[ap-ug] ZWO color camera problem - Update

Calypte

Edited

Rolando, maybe I've missed this detail in one of these posts.  What scope are you using this ZWO camera with, and what adapters are you using?

Roland Christen

It's a 6200C astro-imaging camera which has a color chip. It does not have a shutter, so can take exposures as fast as .001 seconds as well as video. Same chip is used in high end Canon digital cameras.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 19, 2022 4:31 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] ZWO color camera problem - Update

Is the ZWO camera an astro-imaging camera ? Out of curiosity what kind of exposure time do you have to use to take images of objects during daylight, or is there something you have to do with the stretching ?

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

thefamily90 Phillips

I use ZWO monochrome and color cameras for all my Lunar, planetary and solar images. I have never done any imaging, except solar, during daylight hours.

JimP 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 5:31:59 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] ZWO color camera problem - Update

Is the ZWO camera an astro-imaging camera ? Out of curiosity what kind of exposure time do you have to use to take images of objects during daylight, or is there something you have to do with the stretching ?

Mike

M Hambrick

Mike

Roland Christen

Hello fellow astronuts,

I could not get deep sky images to come out right with this color camera. So I went back to basics and imaged a known daytime object with known colors. Ross was right, the key really was the X and Y offset numbers. As you can see below, with X and Y set to 0, the colors of blue and red are reversed. With X and Y set to 1, the proper colors appear on the daytime shots of the water tower. The preview image of the star doesn't change, and it was difficult to see the changes on a deep sky object. But now my galaxies have red cores instead of blue.

So, I thank Ross again for pointing out the solution, and although I am a little dense, I can sometimes find the Reese's cup hidden in the back of the cupboard.

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2022 2:34 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] ZWO color camera problem

MaximDL gives you a little 2 field popup that lets you choose 1 or 0 in each box. Go through all 4 possibilities and one should look pretty good. My own experience with MDL is that they have gotten way behind the curve with regards to these cameras. 
See below.
On 5/18/2022 12:30 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:

Sounds like the color matrix is set wrong in Maxim-DL
yes, but I can't see any way to change it in Maxim.

Roland

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2022 2:12 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] ZWO color camera problem

Sounds like the color matrix is set wrong in Maxim-DL.  I use PixInsight.  I believe the ZWO matrix is "RGGB."  PixInsight has an option for a "BGGR" matrix which seems to be what you're encountering since red and blue are switched.. 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics