AP1600 and Lunar Tracking Rate

Jack Huerkamp

Roland,

Thank you.  I am looking at trying out APCC Horizons to see if that will help out with better lunar tracking.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC

38388 Pine Street

Pearl River, LA 70452-5192

985-445-5063

mallincamusa@...

www.mallincamusa.com

30.37N  89.76W

All of us get lost in the darkness.
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

………………………………….Neil Peart

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 1:29 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1600 and Lunar Tracking Rate

The Lunar rate is an average rate in RA only. You would need a custom rate for both axes to follow the Moon precisely.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, May 16, 2022 12:24 am
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1600 and Lunar Tracking Rate

Tonight, I was using a 16" RC at f/6.4 with a full frame sensor to watch the eclipse.  I also had a 91mm scope riding parallel to provide a wider FOV.  In the 16", I could see about 95% of the lunar disk.  But I constantly had to move the scope in the North direction as the Moon kept dropping down in the FOV.  The mount is permanently mounted in my observatory and polar aligned.  I verified this with my PoleMaster the other night.  I know the Moon's motion varies from day to day, but I would have assumed that the lunar rate would take that into account.  Do I have to guide on a small lunar crater to keep the Moon centered in the FOV?

Jack Huerkamp

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Roland Christen

The Lunar rate is an average rate in RA only. You would need a custom rate for both axes to follow the Moon precisely.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, May 16, 2022 12:24 am
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1600 and Lunar Tracking Rate

Tonight, I was using a 16" RC at f/6.4 with a full frame sensor to watch the eclipse.  I also had a 91mm scope riding parallel to provide a wider FOV.  In the 16", I could see about 95% of the lunar disk.  But I constantly had to move the scope in the North direction as the Moon kept dropping down in the FOV.  The mount is permanently mounted in my observatory and polar aligned.  I verified this with my PoleMaster the other night.  I know the Moon's motion varies from day to day, but I would have assumed that the lunar rate would take that into account.  Do I have to guide on a small lunar crater to keep the Moon centered in the FOV?

Jack Huerkamp

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jack Huerkamp

Thanks Howard. I will look up that aspect of APCC PRO and try it out

Jack

On May 16, 2022, at 11:09, Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:

The lunar rate in the mount is the average rate.  The moon has some variability in it's rate that can be noticeable vis-a-vis the average rate.  Luna also varies a bit in declination and has a drift component from that in addition to the atmospheric refraction.
Ray's *Horizons* program, which is a part of APCC, can give you very tight lunar tracking.
HKH

Howard Hedlund

The lunar rate in the mount is the average rate.  The moon has some variability in it's rate that can be noticeable vis-a-vis the average rate.  Luna also varies a bit in declination and has a drift component from that in addition to the atmospheric refraction.
Ray's *Horizons* program, which is a part of APCC, can give you very tight lunar tracking.
HKH

Jack Huerkamp

Konstantin,

Thank you.  The East-West tracking was pretty good while in lunar rate.  So I guess Lunar Rate was controlling RA pretty well.  The major drift was in the north-south axes, and that was probably due to the low altitude and atmospheric aberration.  When I started, the Moon was only 18 degrees up in the southeast, and by totality it about 30 degrees up.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC

38388 Pine Street

Pearl River, LA 70452-5192

985-445-5063

mallincamusa@...

www.mallincamusa.com

30.37N  89.76W

All of us get lost in the darkness.
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

………………………………….Neil Peart

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Konstantin v. Poschinger via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1600 and Lunar Tracking Rate

Lunar rate works only in RA. There is also the atmospheric aberration!

Konstantin 

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 16.05.2022 um 07:24 schrieb Jack Huerkamp <Mallincamusa@...>:

Jack Huerkamp

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Lunar rate works only in RA. There is also the atmospheric aberration!

Konstantin 

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 16.05.2022 um 07:24 schrieb Jack Huerkamp <Mallincamusa@...>:

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp