Too Windy to Go Long?

Dean Jacobsen

This is what happens when the weather forecast says it is going to be breezy overnight:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/c2dyh3/C/

The original plan was to image NGC 5033 and NGC 5005 last weekend.  Both would have fit nicely in the field of view of my 1000mm fl f/6 Newtonian.  But the National Weather Service said it was going to be breezy.

Time to execute Plan B.  Packed up the short refractor instead and managed to add IC 4182 to the field.  ... and, you guessed it, no wind.

I will try to get a higher resolution shot of NGC 5033 and NGC 5005 again next year.

Imaged with an ASI2600MC Pro OSC camera + an f/5 530mm focal length refractor.   The camera and optics were expertly carried by the Mach2.  69 x 240 second unguided exposures.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Dean Jacobsen

Here is a link to an annotated version:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/c2dyh3/D/

--
Dean Jacobsen

Terry Martin

Very cool Dean.  Was this a temporary setup?  Did you create a sky model or Dec-Arc model for the imaging session?

Terry

Dean Jacobsen

Hi Terry, thanks for taking a look.

Yes, it was a temporary setup for the night.  The Mach2 on a Losmandy HD tripod.

I just create a small three line mapping run with APPM for that night's target.  In this case NGC 5005 is at +36 declination so I set up the declination spacing at 2 degrees and set the minimum declination at +34 and the max. declination at 38.  APPM will create three dec lines.  For the FSQ I set the RA spacing at 7 degrees.  I always set the Min Altitude at 45 and so I ended up with a map of 49 points which will run in about 1/2 an hour.  That's it.  It works marvelously well with the FSQ at 530 and 360 mm focal length.  For my longer focal length scope - 1000mm - I have been just using more RA points so I might set the RA spacing up at 6 or 5 degrees.

The AP mounts with the absolute encoders and the software are just fantastic to use.

Good luck!
--
Dean Jacobsen

Terry Martin

Thanks Dean,

Since last November I've had two clear nights (non-consecutive) and I spent both nights trying to remember how to use everything, with not a lot of success.  I also have a Mach2 and I agree that the mount is fantastic.  Over the winter I had the mount set up inside, so I used the time (I had lots of it) and using simulators to learn how to do mapping runs, horizon limit, and meridian limits in APPC/APPM.  Now I need some clear skies to give it real go.

One more question, if you don't mind.  How do you do your polar alignment?

Terry

Dean Jacobsen

Hi Terry,  I use the RAPAS first to get close then the polar alignment tool in SharpCap to finish.  Perhaps overkill if doing a pointing/tracking model anyway but it doesn’t take very long to use the SharpCap tool.
--
Dean Jacobsen

Terry Martin

Thanks Dean,

I don't have the RAPAS, so I've been polar aligning using NINA's 3 point polar alignment tool.  It's an easy tool to use, I'm not so sure on how well it's working; I will have to give SharpCap a go.

Terry

Pete Tuson

Depending on your requirements you can just run the Nina tool once or twice and it will get you very good alignment. You don't need much more than that, and it doesn't need view of Polaris / Southern cross. It will work on whatever bit of sky you are pointing at.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022, 21:58 Terry Martin, <terry@...> wrote:
Thanks Dean,

I don't have the RAPAS, so I've been polar aligning using NINA's 3 point polar alignment tool.  It's an easy tool to use, I'm not so sure on how well it's working; I will have to give SharpCap a go.

Terry

Terry Martin

Hi Pete,

It seems that every time I run the NINA tool, and it's easy to run and I can get, what it tells me, very good polar alignment (it will be within small seconds), but when turn on PHD2 guiding, PHD2 suggests that I should perhaps try getting better polar alignment as I'm out by several minutes.  Maybe I'll try running the NINA tool a couple times.

Terry

Dean Jacobsen

I was able to get out for an overnight session.  This time I used the 1000mm fl f/6 Newtonian and got some egg shaped stars due to light winds.  I discarded the worst ones but kept some.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/fk07uk/0/

An annotated version:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/fk07uk/B/

Equipment - ASI2600MC Pro with the Takahashi MT-160 at f/6 (using Baader MPCC).  Carried by the Mach2.  60 x 240 second exposures.  Unguided.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Nice indeed!

How well does this scope cover a full frame 35mm camera, ZWO6200?

Roland

I was able to get out for an overnight session.  This time I used the 1000mm fl f/6 Newtonian and got some egg shaped stars due to light winds.  I discarded the worst ones but kept some.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/fk07uk/0/

An annotated version:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/fk07uk/B/

Equipment - ASI2600MC Pro with the Takahashi MT-160 at f/6 (using Baader MPCC).  Carried by the Mach2.  60 x 240 second exposures.  Unguided.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Terry Martin

Very nice Dean.

Dean Jacobsen

Thanks Terry and Roland.

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 05:00 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
How well does this scope cover a full frame 35mm camera, ZWO6200?
I honestly don't know.  The secondary isn't very big -- about 2" diameter looking from the front of the scope.  I don't own a full frame camera any more.  I was surprised that the APS-C camera works as well as it does with the Baader MPCC.  I thought I would end up using my 4/3" camera [ASI294MM] or have to get a 1" sized camera for this scope, or end up cropping my images.  The stars aren't perfect across the entire detector with the APS-C camera but they are plenty good for me.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Dean Jacobsen

Here is the last image of the "galaxy season".  As it turns out, galaxy season is also windy season out in the San Diego County desert where I image.  Thus, I was again limited to the size of the telescope used.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/hwmplp/0/

It is another wide field at f/5 530 mm focal length with the ASI2600MC color camera.

The colors aren't that great but it is amazing to see the little 15 and 16 magnitude galaxies in the field that were captured with an OSC astro camera.  That is a lot better than I expected to see with this camera.

As usual the scope and camera were expertly carried by the Mach2.  80 x 240 sec. unguided exposures.
--
Dean Jacobsen

Karen Christen

That’s a gorgeous field, Dean.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Karen

AP

Here is the last image of the "galaxy season".  As it turns out, galaxy season is also windy season out in the San Diego County desert where I image.  Thus, I was again limited to the size of the telescope used.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/hwmplp/0/

It is another wide field at f/5 530 mm focal length with the ASI2600MC color camera.

The colors aren't that great but it is amazing to see the little 15 and 16 magnitude galaxies in the field that were captured with an OSC astro camera.  That is a lot better than I expected to see with this camera.

As usual the scope and camera were expertly carried by the Mach2.  80 x 240 sec. unguided exposures.
--
Dean Jacobsen

Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Howard Hedlund

Dean, you've captured an entire semester's worth of galaxies to study in one gorgeous frame.  Very cool!