AP 900GTO disassembly

Dan_Paris

Thanks Roland for your message.

I meant removing the DEC axis from the RA axis,

Best regards,

Dan

Le sam. 16 avr. 2022, 19:09, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> a écrit :
Are you doing a complete disassembly of the axis or simply removing the Dec axis from the RA axis? Complete disassembly of the Dec axis is a very involved and risky procedure unless you are fully aware of the internal structure of the mount.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Apr 16, 2022 6:04 am
Subject: [ap-gto] AP 900GTO disassembly

Hello everyone,

I am new to this group (and new to Astro-Physics products in general). I will receive a second hand AP 900GTO in almost new condition with CP4 upgrade within few weeks. In the meantime I am studying the user guides to get familiar with the mount and accessories.

My first question is related to assembly and disassembly of the DEC axis. It is suggested in  the manual to remove the counterweight shaft from the DEC axis before disassembly. Is it really necessary or could I leave the shaft in place all the time?

Thanks for your help and clear skies,

Dan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Dan_Paris

Thanks Wes for your message. I had thought about using the shaft as a handle but I never had the mount in my hands. 
Regards, Dan

Le sam. 16 avr. 2022, 18:02, Wes Atchison via groups.io <wa5tku=atchisonlocal.com@groups.io> a écrit :
Dan,

It is possible but it would be awkward to handle with the moment arm hanging out while stowing it.  Also, the added weight makes it harder to lift.  I do have an AP900 and I do remove the counterweight shaft before removing the DEC axis.

Wes je
WAp5TKU

Roland Christen

Are you doing a complete disassembly of the axis or simply removing the Dec axis from the RA axis? Complete disassembly of the Dec axis is a very involved and risky procedure unless you are fully aware of the internal structure of the mount.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Apr 16, 2022 6:04 am
Subject: [ap-gto] AP 900GTO disassembly

Hello everyone,

I am new to this group (and new to Astro-Physics products in general). I will receive a second hand AP 900GTO in almost new condition with CP4 upgrade within few weeks. In the meantime I am studying the user guides to get familiar with the mount and accessories.

My first question is related to assembly and disassembly of the DEC axis. It is suggested in  the manual to remove the counterweight shaft from the DEC axis before disassembly. Is it really necessary or could I leave the shaft in place all the time?

Dan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Wes Atchison

Dan,

It is possible but it would be awkward to handle with the moment arm hanging out while stowing it.  Also, the added weight makes it harder to lift.  I do have an AP900 and I do remove the counterweight shaft before removing the DEC axis.

Wes
WA5TKU

Dan_Paris

Hello everyone,

Dan