Windows timezone settings

Christopher Erickson

Every situation is different and generally I would never be using a phone to control a serious imaging or research scope setup. For me, using a phone would imply I was doing something casual,  like visual outreach.

But even then, I don't believe that using UT on a mount with a phone will be a problem. I believe that Sky Safari, for example, uses UT internally, regardless of what local time it displays to the user. I suspect that all GOTO mounts do as well.

I think that just about all time problems come from all of the geopolitically motivated, goofy, irregular,  shifting, time zones and daylight savings rules around the world. At least here in Hawaii we don't do DST.

Between Local Time, Local Sidereal Time, Universal Time, Time Zone, Daylight Savings Time, Local Mean Time, etc. It's no wonder that every single professional observatory I have ever worked in, on, or with, uses UT as their standard time reference.

Alaska, due to its massive size, used to span 5 time zones. Over half of Alaskans live in and around Anchorage but the state capital is in Juneau, which was two time zones over. This caused a lot of problems for state government, due to rigid, union-controlled, start, finish, lunch and coffee break schedules. State offices in Anchorage and Juneau could only talk to each other for three and a half broken-up hours a day. So they consolidated into two time zones, strictly for the convenience of state government worker unions. Solar Noon in summertime Anchorage happens about 2:30 in the afternoon. These kinds of stories exist all over the world.

All professional astronomers and engineers use UT.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022, 1:55 AM Horia <ATM@...> wrote:

Hi Christopher,

yes, one certainly can do that but is it necessary?

I have all my computers setup for the local time zone and never had a problem with my mounts due to that. Not with Astro-Physics mounts and not with Skywatcher or iOptron mounts.

Would I be using my smartphone to control a mount, and would I have to set the smartphone to UT, that would be the moment I would decide to change the mount. The same applies for a tablet.

Kind regards,

Horia