Extended temp encoders coders mach 2

Chris White

My name came up!

I'm in Vermont, and it is very cold here.  I'll image down to -20f, but it's pretty rare. (Clear Skies are rare in the first place).  

How cold are the standard encoders good for?  I know Roland has used his in very cold temps... 

Thoughts are welcome. 

Thanks!

Luca Marinelli

Chris,

I am West of you in the Capital District and image under similar temperatures. Given the relatively small difference in cost, I opted to go for the extended temperature encoders. I have never had any issues with the mount down to -10F. I tend to close the roof when temps hit that mark as everything gets so brittle and typically atmospheric conditions aren’t that great. 

Congratulations on the new mount! You’ll love it.

Luca  

On Mar 2, 2022, at 7:46 PM, Chris White via groups.io <chris.white@...> wrote:

My name came up!

I'm in Vermont, and it is very cold here.  I'll image down to -20f, but it's pretty rare. (Clear Skies are rare in the first place).  

How cold are the standard encoders good for?  I know Roland has used his in very cold temps... 

Thoughts are welcome. 

Thanks!

Sébastien Doré

Hi Chris,

AP would have to confirm if they still use those in the current Mach2 run but the standard temp Resolute encoder head are spec'ed from 0C to +80C.

As to whether you should get the low temp version (-40C to +80C), I guess that would mainly depends on how much you value your winter imaging sessions. If that encoder laser started to fail (meaning no more sub arc-second tracking) during one of those nights, would you bother ?

I'm in Quebec, Canada, and when it gets down to < -25C at night (pretty often in winter), sky is at its crispiest time of the year so to me it was a no brainer, I went with the low temp version. Especially considering the small cost difference as Luca already pointed out. 

Either way, I'm sure you'll love the mount. Congrats!
Sébastien

Peter Nagy

As long as you don't tell your CFO (AKA wife), go for it. 😉 

Peter

Chris White

You guys are right. It's not that much more and it gets very cold here. Also it's living in an observatory so it's not like I'm brining it from a nice warm place into the cold where it can stay above ambient for a few hours. It's always cold.  I'll go with the extended. 

Charles Thompson

I got mine last week. I went with the extended encoders too but it was because they had one ready to go out the door 😀.  It's running right now. Doing extremely well I might add!

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/2/22 10:03 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Extended temp encoders coders mach 2

You guys are right. It's not that much more and it gets very cold here. Also it's living in an observatory so it's not like I'm brining it from a nice warm place into the cold where it can stay above ambient for a few hours. It's always cold.  I'll go with the extended. 

Chris White

Edited

My name first came up back in 2019.  I was on the Mach 1 list, but then the Mach 2 came out and I had to decline.  I got back on the list in May 2019... so it took almost 3 years before my name came up again.

I kick myself for not getting it on the first round, as it's now $2k more... but after seeing Roland's and Bill's torture tests I know this mount is WELL worth the current asking price.

M Hambrick

How rigid is the 0 Deg C lower temperature limit for the standard temperature range encoders ? It does not get really cold here in southeast Texas, but we will routinely see below freezing temperatures in the -2 to -3 Deg C during the winter, and even down to -7 or -8 Deg C from time to time. Are these intermittent low temperatures a concern for the standard temperature range encoders ?

Mike

George

Mike,

You’ll be fine with the standard encoders…we use them here in Illinois.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of M Hambrick
Sent: Saturday, March 5, 2022 8:47 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Extended temp encoders coders mach 2

How rigid is the 0 Deg C lower temperature limit for the standard temperature range encoders ? It does not get really cold here in southeast Texas, but we will routinely see below freezing temperatures in the -2 to -3 Deg C during the winter, and even down to -7 or -8 Deg C from time to time. Are these intermittent low temperatures a concern for the standard temperature range encoders ?

Mike

Chris White

Mike,

I went with the extended temp option. But I see -30c here!