From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of ap@...
Sent: Thursday, February 3, 2022 9:31 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] A Dolphin from Florida

Since I had this screen open for the last message thought I would share my latest image courtesy of my 1100.

This is SH2-308, the Dolphin Nebula, at 540mm with an ASI6200, about 35 hours combined of Oiii and Ha (it has little Sii), as R=Ha, G=(2*Ha+Oiii)/3, B=Oiii, with a lot of stars removed and de-emphasized.

Any not-round stars are from optics, not the mount.  :)

Criticism and suggestions welcomed.

Full size: https://www.astrobin.com/18cvoi/

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Eric Weiner

Well done. Excellent processing. I’d like to see your data without stars removed.

Eric

great definition, nice one Linwood

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 7:31 PM ap@... <ap@...> wrote:
Since I had this screen open for the last message thought I would share my latest image courtesy of my 1100.

This is SH2-308, the Dolphin Nebula, at 540mm with an ASI6200, about 35 hours combined of Oiii and Ha (it has little Sii), as R=Ha, G=(2*Ha+Oiii)/3, B=Oiii, with a lot of stars removed and de-emphasized.

Any not-round stars are from optics, not the mount.  :)

Criticism and suggestions welcomed.

Full size: https://www.astrobin.com/18cvoi/

--
Brian

Brian Valente

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 10:50 PM, Eric Weiner wrote:
I’d like to see your data without stars removed.
I didn't save the color version of that, but have the stacks with minimal processing, if you care to look.  Two files in one zip here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1carQ4CiRNGOIJAf6XrOpAVarF1sV_r5L/view?usp=sharing

Love to hear any recommendations, etc. you have.  I struggled a lot trying to remove stars.  I ended up doing it in the synthetic luminance (just the sum of the Ha and Oiii) instead of the RGB version.  The new Starnet++ V2 is great, but it removes them, doesn't just remove some.  I ended up taking the synthetic luminance and running starnet to get a stars masked (after stretch -- it isn't working right pre-stretch), then did some multiscale linear work to remove some, also some morphalogical transform, then added the stars back in.  It made a mess, I cloned some odd shapes out afterwards.   I also tried the Star De-emphasis script Adam Block loves, but it did not do nearly enough reduction.  I wish starnet had a "remove all below this size" or some such.

Linwood

Bob Enouen

Beautiful!  Thanks for sharing Linwood.

Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410

On Feb 3, 2022, at 11:08 PM, ap@... wrote:

[...]

I think we probably all feel that our processing is never good enough. That’s a keeper Linwood.

Eric

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

Boy Linwood,  that is a beauty!  I bet you are out there tonight!

Since I had this screen open for the last message thought I would share my latest image courtesy of my 1100.

This is SH2-308, the Dolphin Nebula, at 540mm with an ASI6200, about 35 hours combined of Oiii and Ha (it has little Sii), as R=Ha, G=(2*Ha+Oiii)/3, B=Oiii, with a lot of stars removed and de-emphasized.

Any not-round stars are from optics, not the mount.  :)

Criticism and suggestions welcomed.

Full size: https://www.astrobin.com/18cvoi/

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

I have taken this last Mai in Namibia: Here with all the stars.
Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171 1983476

Am 04.02.2022 um 04:50 schrieb Eric Weiner <weinere@...>:

Well done. Excellent processing. I’d like to see your data without stars removed.

Eric

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Thank you everyone for the kind and encouraging words.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 05:24 AM, Konstantin von Poschinger wrote:
I have taken this last Mai in Namibia: Here with all the stars.
That area really does have a LOT of stars, foreground or background not sure, but the dolphin definitely swims in a sea of them.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 01:08 AM, Emilio J. Robau, P.E. wrote:
I bet you are out there tonight!
Absolutely.  Well... not me, but my gear is out earning its keep while I slept.  :)

Unfortunately clouds and rain forecast for the next 2-3 days (someone must have taken delivery of a new mount in Florida!).

Thanks again,

Linwood

Suresh Mohan

Truly beautiful !!
Suresh

On Feb 4, 2022, at 9:20 AM, Eric Weiner <weinere@...> wrote:

Well done. Excellent processing. I’d like to see your data without stars removed.

Eric

Roland Christen

That is a very impressive Bubble. I like your color rendition.

Since I had this screen open for the last message thought I would share my latest image courtesy of my 1100.

This is SH2-308, the Dolphin Nebula, at 540mm with an ASI6200, about 35 hours combined of Oiii and Ha (it has little Sii), as R=Ha, G=(2*Ha+Oiii)/3, B=Oiii, with a lot of stars removed and de-emphasized.

Any not-round stars are from optics, not the mount.  :)

Criticism and suggestions welcomed.

Full size: https://www.astrobin.com/18cvoi/

fernandorivera3

What constellation is this Dolphin nebula found in??

Fernando

Eric Weiner

Eric Weiner

Linwood,

Those are killer images even with the stars.

Eric