Pier for AP1600

Luke Dodd

I have just ordered a new AP1600, with delivery in a few months. I need to sort a pier out for this mount. I have a 10" AP field pier which my AP1200 sits on atm via the SPA. I believe the AP1600 will not need the SPA and attach directly to the top of this pier. The pier  is a too high for me with regard to lifting the AP1200 onto the pier and more importantly getting heavy scopes onto the mount (but I can manage). With the weight of the AP1600 and greater height of the AP1600, I will definitely need to lower the height of the pier. One simple solution is to reduce the length of the 10" tube ( about 300mm from the bottom) which forms part of the pier. I would have to decrease the length of the guide/tension rods, but this seems a reasonable solution. Any one care to critique this plan for me to see if I have over looked anything. Eventually the AP1600 will be in a permanent observatory, but for the time being it will be used in my front yard. One other thought is to consider an iOptron 360 pier which is rate for 165kg, but I have read there are some annoying design issues and the tripod footprint maybe a litlle small. Thanks.

Googaliser

I cannot speak highly enough of ATS portable piers - a bit more expensive - but rock solid and a great aesthetic and functional match for the larger AP mounts.

Christopher Erickson

I would avoid iOptron products...

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022, 9:12 PM fishma via groups.io <fishma=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I cannot speak highly enough of ATS portable piers - a bit more expensive - but rock solid and a great aesthetic and functional match for the larger AP mounts.

michael mccann

My iOptron tripier and tripods started to rust in no time in Seattle . I’m using the ATS as well. For my 14” truss RC I bought a harbor freight hydraulic table to position the scope up and into the saddle. Secure the saddle, add counterweights , balance and have fun.

Cheng-Yang Tan

On Saturday, January 29, 2022, 12:59 AM, Luke Dodd <lkdodd@...> wrote:

[...]

fernandorivera3

Luke your best options are:

1) PWT Monolith
2) ATS pier
3) Rob Miller Heavy Duty tripod
4) Parallax Instruments pier

The ATS is still in production. I think Parallax is still in business. The PWT & Rob Miller can only be obtained pre owned.
If you are really serious about iOptron then you may as well consider Meade, Celestron, Explore Scientific, etc piers & tripods but I would avoid them like the plague.

Fernando

Googaliser

Am also a fan of the Monolith and funnily enough there is one available now on Amart (In Texas - 48" and attached to a 1200GTO). It could use a new coat of paint - but may be worth seeing if the seller will split from the mount. It looks like a 36"+12" which is more flexible if you plan on switching it between visual and imaging duties