Mach2 DEC does not slew

yanzhe liu

My mach2 suddenly developed an issue tonight during imaging.

I first noticed that something went wrong because SGPro said the meridian flip failed (I have been imaging for a few months and never had any flip issue).

I did some tests and found out that DEC did not slew. RA slewed Ok with AP ASCOM driver and Keypad, however DEC did not.

If I slew to a target or park mount, the mount did not move at all and the light on CP5 turned to yellow. If I moved N/S using an ASCOM or Keypad, there was continuous clicking noise from the mount, it sounded like DEC was jammed or worm teeth got stripped.

Both RA and DEC were well balanced, power seemed good too. Last night's session was good.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Mike Hanson

Hi Yanzhe,

There are several things that could cause your symptoms.  Please run the following test to help isolate the problem:
1) Swap the RA and DEC cable connectors *AT THE MOUNT*.  The yellow LED will remain on, this is OK.  Test N/S and E/W to determine if the problem follows the N/S buttons to the RA axis.  If not, the issue is in the mount.  If the issue follows the N/S buttons to the RA axis, continue on to the next step.
2) Now swap the RA and DEC cable connectors *AT THE CP5* and see if the issue returns to the DEC axis.

Regards,
Mike Hanson

Roland Christen

You didn't strip any gears. You probably have a bad cable. Mark the Dec cable and put it on the RA side. See if the problem moves to the RA side. If so, we can ship you a new set of cables on Monday.

My mach2 suddenly developed an issue tonight during imaging.

I first noticed that something went wrong because SGPro said the meridian flip failed (I have been imaging for a few months and never had any flip issue).

I did some tests and found out that DEC did not slew. RA slewed Ok with AP ASCOM driver and Keypad, however DEC did not.

If I slew to a target or park mount, the mount did not move at all and the light on CP5 turned to yellow. If I moved N/S using an ASCOM or Keypad, there was continuous clicking noise from the mount, it sounded like DEC was jammed or worm teeth got stripped.

Both RA and DEC were well balanced, power seemed good too. Last night's session was good.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Jeff B

So how much do you want to bet, that switching the RA/DEC cables shows them to "work" and then reconnecting them back the right way "fixes" the problem?  😁😊😉

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 12:01 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John Chakel

I have my Mach2 mount setup in my backyard under a TG365 cover and on one occasion when one axis wasn’t behaving properly, I found that I just needed to ensure that the barrel connectors that secure the plug into its socket was fully tightened. After making sure the connection was fully finger tightened, normal operation returned.
CS,
John

yanzhe liu

Roland/Mike,

With normal connection: E/W moves RA, N/S does not move DEC.
Swap connection at mount: N/S moves RA, E/W does not move DEC.
Swapping RA and DEC cable does not affect anything.

So the mount has some issue?

Yanzhe

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 9:45 AM John Chakel <jachakel@...> wrote:
I have my Mach2 mount setup in my backyard under a TG365 cover and on one occasion when one axis wasn’t behaving properly, I found that I just needed to ensure that the barrel connectors that secure the plug into its socket was fully tightened. After making sure the connection was fully finger tightened, normal operation returned.
CS,
John

George

Yanzhe,

Please contact me directly at my email below regarding your mount issue.   Thank you.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

With normal connection: E/W moves RA, N/S does not move DEC.

Swap connection at mount: N/S moves RA, E/W does not move DEC.

Swapping RA and DEC cable does not affect anything.

So the mount has some issue?

Yanzhe

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 9:45 AM John Chakel <jachakel@...> wrote:

I have my Mach2 mount setup in my backyard under a TG365 cover and on one occasion when one axis wasn’t behaving properly, I found that I just needed to ensure that the barrel connectors that secure the plug into its socket was fully tightened. After making sure the connection was fully finger tightened, normal operation returned.
CS,
John

yanzhe liu

Roland,

I received my mach2 back but both RA and DEC are having backlash, very surprising. How to re-mesh mach2?

Thanks

Yanzhe

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 10:57 AM George <george@...> wrote:

[...]

We did not do anything to the mount axes or the geartrain. All we did was replace a faulty connector.
Please contact George directly, since I am not in the office right now. <george@...>

I would suggest that you simply run the mount and do some imaging. Slew the mount back and forth in both axes to settle the springs. In any case, the Mach2 encoder mount is not affected by backlash, and RA backlash has no meaning anyhow during imaging.