MGBox pressure reading

legendtrail@...

Edited

The current altimeter setting at Phoenix Sky Harbor is 30.02. The current setting at my local airport here in the desert is 30.04 . Those
convert roughly to 1016 hPa. My MGBox is reporting 927 hPa. If that's a raw reading, it converts to 27.38 in., and I would be expecting
a hurricane coming this way. Actually, the lowest barometer ever recorded in Phoenix history was 29.20 inHg. (988.7 hPa). So I'm still trying
to understand an MGBox report of 927.

I had cervical spine surgery last week and  can't lift any weight, so photography is out of the question for a few weeks. That's why I have
all this time to chase these kinds of ghosts.

edit: Brent, thanks. That calculator worked - gave me a value that was close enough.

Brent Boshart

As Wade mentioned, stations will usually report pressure adjusted for sea-level whereas your device will report the actual pressure at your elevation.  You can use this online calculator - https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/air-pressure-at-altitude With the calculator put in the station's pressure and then your altitude and temperature.  The answer should be close to your device's reading.

W Hilmo

The MGBox is giving you a raw reading of the actual pressure at your site.

It's possible that the stations in the area are corrected for your altitude, and possibly temperature.

-Wade

On 12/1/21 6:32 PM, legendtrail via groups.io wrote:
I connected an MGBox v2 to my APCC laptop this week, and it is set up in APCC. Temperature readings are close enough but
the pressure readings being returned are 90 mbar lower than of a half dozen stations reporting in the area. Does anybody have
an idea what that's about?

legendtrail@...