From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Rouz <rbidshahri@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 7:05 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Does NINA auto meridian flip with APCC

Hi All,

Anyone know why the auto flip stopped working?

I remember it used to work fine in the past but it doesn't now no matter what combination I use.

Is there a key setting that needs to be ticked or unticked?

Enable Meridian Tracking Limits = Stop tracking.    I want it to stop in case it doesn't flip and I'm asleep.

Rouz

I have, no responses yet.

Not sure if its a Nina setting or something in APCC.

Dale Ghent

You asked there 10 minutes before posting here, Rouz. I might be at my computer a lot, but I do sometimes step away for a few minutes :D

Yes, you need to have Use Telescope Side of Pier turned on in NINA’s meridian flip settings, which is the default for that setting. This option exists because some telescope drivers lie about their pointing state, but the A-P driver does not. With that off, the flip won’t happen if you also have a delay set in the A-P driver or APCC as the coordinates will still be within the post-meridian delay zone. NINA will think that the telescope is flipping, but the telescope thinks it has more counterweight-up runway and keeps on going. This is why managing the flip via the side of pier property is important in this case as there is no way for any app to know about any delays that are configured in or enforced by the driver.

Not sure if its a Nina setting or something in APCC.

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Rouz wrote:

  • I have, no responses yet.
    Not sure if its a Nina setting or something in APCC.

It's almost certainly the combination.  I didn't notice your posting there (and may not be the one to help regardless) but a couple thoughts.

First, make sure to provide nina logs on discord for the flip (and preferably an approximate time it was due).

Secondly, it is useful to state clearly how you are trying to do the flip.  To me there are two basic approaches - trying to use Counterweight Up limits to eek a another exposure out of the system before the flip (or even many more), and trying to flip AT the meridian.

To me the latter is much simpler, but is not what most people (including the NINA Developers) recommend.  By setting limits to track past meridian, and having a range of times, you spend less time waiting.  But to me it is more complicated, and a lot more opportunity for it to screw up if not coordinated carefully with settings on both sides.

There is also a "smart" meridian flip plugin which is more interesting, as it uses a safe zone around your mount to know how far it can image past meridian (or even before) that varies by DEC.

So… for anyone trying to help, it is important to say what approach you took.

In my case I have it working very reliably as follows:

  • APCC is set to stop (not flip) at the meridian, no tracking past, no counterweight up.  It is important that it NOT allow you to slew counterweight up for this to work.
  • NINA is set to pause 1 minute before meridian, and wait until 1 minute after (both after and max after are 1 minute).
  • I am careful to make sure I do a plate solve and sync (which APCC sees as a recal) so that NINA and APCC both know the time of transit (you should compare once you have centered and start tracking, it's on the meridian page of APCC and the telescope pane in NINA, they should match within a few seconds).
  • Obviously you have to tell NINA that you want it to flip, either the meridian flip trigger for the advanced sequencer or the setting if using the basic sequencer.

Set up this way what happens is this:

  • As you approach meridian, it looks to see before each exposure if you have time for another image before 1 minute before, so if you are doing 3 minute images and pausing 1 minute before, it may stop anywhere from 1 minute to 4 minutes before meridian.  NINA stops tracking (APCC just sits there)
  • Time passes until 1 minute after transit
  • Now NINA sends a slew (and I think a set pierside), APCC now knows the target is on the other side of the meridian, and flips the mount.
  • NINA (if set) recenters, focuses (if set), starts guiding (if set) and starts the sequence going again.

But that's the simple approach, and (using the 3 minute exposures) I waste 2-5 minutes per night.  Such a travesty.  😊

But it flips.

Linwood

Rouz

Dale,

I wasn't sure this is to do with NINA or APCC settings.

Ill try with everything set to default with pier side on, thanks.

I'll continue on Discord then?

Rouz

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 07:32 PM, ap@... wrote:

Set up this way what happens is this:

  • As you approach meridian, it looks to see before each exposure if you have time for another image before 1 minute before, so if you are doing 3 minute images and pausing 1 minute before, it may stop anywhere from 1 minute to 4 minutes before meridian.  NINA stops tracking (APCC just sits there)
  • Time passes until 1 minute after transit
  • Now NINA sends a slew (and I think a set pierside), APCC now knows the target is on the other side of the meridian, and flips the mount.
  • NINA (if set) recenters, focuses (if set), starts guiding (if set) and starts the sequence going again.

But that's the simple approach, and (using the 3 minute exposures) I waste 2-5 minutes per night.  Such a travesty.  😊

Thanks Linwood,

That used to work a few weeks ago, I'm not sure if it was an update or something I did.

I issue I suspect is that Nina says meridian in say 1 minute, but APCCs number is 16 minutes.

So when the command is sent it still sees it has 16 minutes to go.

Ill try setting Nina to 20 minutes past meridian and try again now.

Rouz

Rouz

Might have been a bug somewhere?
Once it flipped but only the Dec motor flipped the RA didn't move and the OTA was pointing at the floor!

But seems to work now
restarted the PC
AP V2 driver  autoconfig is ON
Meriden pier tracking limits points made  (The yellow curve)
Enable Meridian tracking limits = on
Action = Stop tracking
Limit to meridian = on
Nina delays = 0
Telescope side = on

Rouz

This is what that odd flip looked like:

Seems to be ok after the restart and whatever I did.