Silver Dollar Galaxy from Hawaii

Roland Christen

Hello Astronuts,

This is the first of several images that I was able to glean from my dark Hawaii site couple of weeks ago. This is one night's work during testing of the 1600 encoder mount modeling. I know it isn't APOD quality, but represents only one night of dark skies and decent seeing. This galaxy needs about 60 hours to do it justice.

https://www.astrobin.com/sh5dgf/0/

Joel Short

Roland, that IS APOD quality.  Amazing.  I'm not sure I've ever seen this object in such detail.  Wow.
joel

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 9:48 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Astronuts,

This is the first of several images that I was able to glean from my dark Hawaii site couple of weeks ago. This is one night's work during testing of the 1600 encoder mount modeling. I know it isn't APOD quality, but represents only one night of dark skies and decent seeing. This galaxy needs about 60 hours to do it justice.

Robert Chozick <rchozick@...>

Roland, I never do this galaxy because it is so hard to make look good.  This is one of the best I have ever seen.  You nailed the colors better than I have seen.

Robert

On Nov 15, 2021, at 9:48 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Hello Astronuts,

This is the first of several images that I was able to glean from my dark Hawaii site couple of weeks ago. This is one night's work during testing of the 1600 encoder mount modeling. I know it isn't APOD quality, but represents only one night of dark skies and decent seeing. This galaxy needs about 60 hours to do it justice.

Dean Jacobsen

Nice one Roland.  It sure helps to get a little further south on the globe for this object.  :-)
--
Dean Jacobsen