Hello All and pardon the newbie questions.....

Michael Kelly

......but.....

First things first....I approve of being an Astronut! What a difference a letter makes but its close proximity so I wont complain!

I will be receiving my second hand Mach1 shortly and had an 'oh so long list of questions' that will surely have many of you rolling your eyes....no worries, I'm a quick study so I wont annoy you much for long before my very extensive mechanical and machining background will be able to offer valid and hopefully valuable input to all!

While I gear up and learn APCC I do intend, (or at least hope to) to keep utilizing the ASIair which I have come to really appreciate its simplicity and integration.  The mount I've bought has a CP3 controller and wondered some insight here in how to integrate. Do I need the CP4 to get the USB-B port which is not on a CP3 but on the CP4?

Again....I have serious newbie to AP ecosystem questions...please be patient!

Best and Clear Skies,

Michael

Jeffc

Welcome….

On Sep 29, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Michael Kelly <Michael@completedieselva.com> wrote:

. The mount I've bought has a CP3 controller and wondered some insight here in how to integrate. Do I need the CP4 to get the USB-B port which is not on a CP3 but on the CP4?

You can use a Serial -> USB adapter on the CP3. The brand you want to buy is, i think, Tripp-Lite KeySpan.

Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, PC & Mac (USA-19HS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4SPYE16DG4W4NXRE421F

I’ve used a few different serial/usb adapters with the CP3, but iirc the KeySpan adapter was recommended, and it is the adapter I use with the CP3 and other serial needs like the robofocus (Tho I no longer use robofocus). Other adapters might have questionable chips which aren’t as reliable.

-jeff

Steven Panish

I agree the USB->serial converter is all you need to be happy with the CP3.  The FTDI chipset has been the standard for about 20 years, and you can download drivers direct from them.  The Prolific chipset used to have a bad reputation, but I tried one recently, loaded the latest driver, and it worked well.   On the other hand, I tried a no-name that was about $5 from Ebay and the drivers were junk.  Kept grabbing new logical serial ports on the PC.

Steve

Steve

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:29 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:
Welcome….

> On Sep 29, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Michael Kelly <Michael@...> wrote:
>
> .  The mount I've bought has a CP3 controller and wondered some insight here in how to integrate. Do I need the CP4 to get the USB-B port which is not on a CP3 but on the CP4?

You can use a Serial -> USB adapter on the CP3.     The brand you want to buy is, i think, Tripp-Lite KeySpan.

Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, PC & Mac (USA-19HS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4SPYE16DG4W4NXRE421F

I’ve used a few different serial/usb adapters with the CP3, but iirc the KeySpan adapter was recommended, and it is the adapter I use with the CP3 and other serial needs like the robofocus (Tho I no longer use robofocus).   Other adapters might have questionable chips which aren’t as reliable.

-jeff

Howard Hedlund

We recommend both the FTDI dongles and the Keyspan by Tripp-Lite.  Both have excellent drivers.  We now sell the FTDI USB to Serial converter because we use the FTDI chipset in the GTOCP4/5.  The same FTDI driver works for both the dongle and the on-board chip.

The Keyspan has the advantage of offering a utility that can be extremely handy for diagnostics.  We DO NOT recommend the cheaper and more generic Tripp-Lite converters – only the more premium Keyspans.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

AP Phone: 815-282-1513

Direct Phone:  815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

I agree the USB->serial converter is all you need to be happy with the CP3.  The FTDI chipset has been the standard for about 20 years, and you can download drivers direct from them.  The Prolific chipset used to have a bad reputation, but I tried one recently, loaded the latest driver, and it worked well.   On the other hand, I tried a no-name that was about $5 from Ebay and the drivers were junk.  Kept grabbing new logical serial ports on the PC.

Steve

Steve

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:29 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:

Welcome….

> On Sep 29, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Michael Kelly <Michael@...> wrote:
>
> .  The mount I've bought has a CP3 controller and wondered some insight here in how to integrate. Do I need the CP4 to get the USB-B port which is not on a CP3 but on the CP4?

You can use a Serial -> USB adapter on the CP3.     The brand you want to buy is, i think, Tripp-Lite KeySpan.

Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, PC & Mac (USA-19HS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4SPYE16DG4W4NXRE421F

I’ve used a few different serial/usb adapters with the CP3, but iirc the KeySpan adapter was recommended, and it is the adapter I use with the CP3 and other serial needs like the robofocus (Tho I no longer use robofocus).   Other adapters might have questionable chips which aren’t as reliable.

-jeff

Michael Kelly

Excellent, thank you all for the responses!!

Next question is that I need to buy counterweights as the previous owner is using on his 1100. My current set up weighs about 40lbs and new scope which I should have in a few weeks will dress out at about 55lbs. How much weight will I need?

Best,

Michael

On Thursday, September 30, 2021, 12:56:54 PM EDT, Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:

We recommend both the FTDI dongles and the Keyspan by Tripp-Lite.  Both have excellent drivers.  We now sell the FTDI USB to Serial converter because we use the FTDI chipset in the GTOCP4/5.  The same FTDI driver works for both the dongle and the on-board chip.

The Keyspan has the advantage of offering a utility that can be extremely handy for diagnostics.  We DO NOT recommend the cheaper and more generic Tripp-Lite converters – only the more premium Keyspans.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

AP Phone: 815-282-1513

Direct Phone:  815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

I agree the USB->serial converter is all you need to be happy with the CP3.  The FTDI chipset has been the standard for about 20 years, and you can download drivers direct from them.  The Prolific chipset used to have a bad reputation, but I tried one recently, loaded the latest driver, and it worked well.   On the other hand, I tried a no-name that was about $5 from Ebay and the drivers were junk.  Kept grabbing new logical serial ports on the PC.

Steve

Steve

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:29 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:

Welcome….

> On Sep 29, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Michael Kelly <Michael@...> wrote:
>
> .  The mount I've bought has a CP3 controller and wondered some insight here in how to integrate. Do I need the CP4 to get the USB-B port which is not on a CP3 but on the CP4?

You can use a Serial -> USB adapter on the CP3.     The brand you want to buy is, i think, Tripp-Lite KeySpan.

Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, PC & Mac (USA-19HS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4SPYE16DG4W4NXRE421F

I’ve used a few different serial/usb adapters with the CP3, but iirc the KeySpan adapter was recommended, and it is the adapter I use with the CP3 and other serial needs like the robofocus (Tho I no longer use robofocus).   Other adapters might have questionable chips which aren’t as reliable.

-jeff

Shailesh Trivedi

In my experience if your OTA+imaging train weighs 55lbs you need more than this since it is recommended to keep the largest CWs close to the top to reduce moment arm swings and then fine balance with a lighter CW lowering on the shaft . You can begin with 1 30lbs, 2 18lb and maybe 1 10lb; also order a 5lb just for posterity.

Shailesh

Eric Weiner

I’m assuming your Mach1 has the upgraded shaft since the previous owner is using those CW on the 1100. Make sure it’s the 1.875” shaft before ordering.

I don’t think the 30lb will fit as the highest cw on the Mach1 so keep that in mind. Mach1 owners can chime in on that.

I have a Mach2 with ~50lb of loading with my largest OTA imaging setup. I use 2 x 18lb + 1 x 10 lb. you can see that on the attached photo (setup for visual but with a honking monster of an ep attached). I also have 1 x 5lb for lighter visual configurations. You could add one more 18lb and be good.

Michael Kelly

Eric, thanks for the input!  I’ve got that same honking hunk of optical magic!!

So maybe;

3-18
1-10

On Thursday, September 30, 2021, 2:54 PM, Eric Weiner <weinere@...> wrote:

I’m assuming your Mach1 has the upgraded shaft since the previous owner is using those CW on the 1100. Make sure it’s the 1.875” shaft before ordering.

I don’t think the 30lb will fit as the highest cw on the Mach1 so keep that in mind. Mach1 owners can chime in on that.

I have a Mach2 with ~50lb of loading with my largest OTA imaging setup. I use 2 x 18lb + 1 x 10 lb. you can see that on the attached photo (setup for visual but with a honking monster of an ep attached). I also have 1 x 5lb for lighter visual configurations. You could add one more 18lb and be good.

W Hilmo

I run a C14 on my AP1100, which is close to 55 lb with accessories.

I use 3 of the larger diameter weights and it’s just about perfect with the weights at the top of the shaft.

The counterweights came with my 1100, which I bought used, and I have never weighed them.  I think that they are the 30 lb ones, though.

On Sep 30, 2021, at 12:04 PM, Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:

In my experience if your OTA+imaging train weighs 55lbs you need more than this since it is recommended to keep the largest CWs close to the top to reduce moment arm swings and then fine balance with a lighter CW lowering on the shaft . You can begin with 1 30lbs, 2 18lb and maybe 1 10lb; also order a 5lb just for posterity.

Shailesh

Eric Weiner

No problem.

In hindsight you can probably get away with 2-18, 1-10, 1-5. Notice on my photo how the 10 is almost flush with the 18s up top.  The 10 is in the middle when I have my imaging train on the OTA. So, there is still wiggle room for a few extra pounds. Sure, you want to keep the inertial moment arm small by keeping the weight high up the shaft, but I believe you’ll be able to achieve balance on 55lbs with 2-18 up top and the 10 lower on the shaft. Especially if you have a 5 too for fine tuning. You can always order another 18.

Cheers,
Eric

On Sep 30, 2021, at 13:25, Michael Kelly <Michael@...> wrote:

 Eric, thanks for the input!  I’ve got that same honking hunk of optical magic!!

So maybe;

3-18
1-10
1-5

Sent from Smallbiz Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, September 30, 2021, 2:54 PM, Eric Weiner <weinere@...> wrote:

I’m assuming your Mach1 has the upgraded shaft since the previous owner is using those CW on the 1100. Make sure it’s the 1.875” shaft before ordering.

I don’t think the 30lb will fit as the highest cw on the Mach1 so keep that in mind. Mach1 owners can chime in on that.

I have a Mach2 with ~50lb of loading with my largest OTA imaging setup. I use 2 x 18lb + 1 x 10 lb. you can see that on the attached photo (setup for visual but with a honking monster of an ep attached). I also have 1 x 5lb for lighter visual configurations. You could add one more 18lb and be good.

Sébastien Doré

I have about 40 lbs of payload (EdgeHD 8in + SV70t + imaging gear) on my Mach2 and I use 2 x 18lbs at the very top of the shaft and 1 x 10 lbs for fine adjust about an inch below the second 18lbs (much like on Eric's photo).

I also bought a 5# in case I needed a little more versatility (and glad I did). For example, as an alternate balancing solution, while still placing both 18# at the top of the shaft, I omit the 10#, and add the 5# near the bottom. I actually find it easier to accurately achieve neutral balance this way...

Hope this helps.

Sébastien

Michael Kelly

Thanks for the help  Sebastien!   I see your gear came with a matching dog!!  Outstanding!!

On Friday, October 1, 2021, 2:36 PM, Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:

I have about 40 lbs of payload (EdgeHD 8in + SV70t + imaging gear) on my Mach2 and I use 2 x 18lbs at the very top of the shaft and 1 x 10 lbs for fine adjust about an inch below the second 18lbs (much like on Eric's photo).

I also bought a 5# in case I needed a little more versatility (and glad I did). For example, as an alternate balancing solution, while still placing both 18# at the top of the shaft, I omit the 10#, and add the 5# near the bottom. I actually find it easier to accurately achieve neutral balance this way...

Hope this helps.

Sébastien

Sébastien Doré

Michael,
Thanks for the help  Sebastien!
Of course!
 I see your gear came with a matching dog!!  Outstanding!!
Yep, and as the mount it can be operated down to extremely low temperature ! Moreover, it is a perfect cold feet heater too! Just very bad for the PA when he mixes yours with the tripod's ! 😆

Sébastien