Questions about APCC

Geoff Smith

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and start using APCC and naturally I have some questions. The first concerns using the keypad with APCC. Normally I use the keypad's extensive database to slew to my object. I occasionally use Maxim DL to do they same thing. Lets suppose I have initialised, unparked etc the mount using APCC and i have the keypad set on EXT. I now slew to a star with the keypad and find the pointing off a bit. So I centre the star with the NSWE keypad buttons and decide to do a recal.
1. Do I use the keypad or the GoTo/Recal tab in APCC?
2. If I have plate solved an image in Maxim using PinPoint is it OK to use Maxim's "Sync to solved position"?
Thanks
Geoff

M Hambrick

Hi Geoff

You and I are essentially at the same point with APCC. I told myself that I was going to force myself to start using it. I read somewhere that commands through the keypad will override APCC or other software (e.g. A-P ASCOM V-2).

On your first question I am pretty sure that you can just do a recalibrate with the keypad after you have centered the star.

I am not sure about the answer to your second question. I just today upgraded to the from the PinPoint LE version that comes with MaxIm DL to the full PinPoint version, so now I have yet another software to figure out how to use.

Mike

One thing I am confused about is what are the differences between using APCC to control my mount versus the Observatory Control tab in MaxIm DL Pro which I have not used yet either. Until now, I have been using my keypad exclusively.

Ray Gralak

Hi Geoff,

a bit. So I centre the star with the NSWE keypad buttons and decide to do a recal.
1. Do I use the keypad or the GoTo/Recal tab in APCC?
If you are not using APCC Pro with a pointing model, then you can recalibrate from the keypad, APCC, a planetarium program, and most astronomy imaging software. If you are using APCC Pro with a model, then recalibrating from the keypad will not be accurate. However, you can plate solve and recalibrate from APPM, or planetarium programs, etc.

2. If I have plate solved an image in Maxim using PinPoint is it OK to use Maxim's "Sync to solved position"?
Yes, you can do that. However, if you use APCC Pro with a pointing model, I recommend you recalibrate through APPM, as it will be slightly more accurate.

-Ray

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Ray wrote:

2. If I have plate solved an image in Maxim using PinPoint is it OK to use Maxim's "Sync to solved position"?
Yes, you can do that. However, if you use APCC Pro with a pointing model, I recommend you recalibrate through APPM, as it will be slightly more accurate.
In my scenario I set up each night, but in almost precisely the same spot. I then polar align, and am always already within a few arc minutes, which I tweak to get back closer.

At that point, since everything is more or less as it was, I plate solve and sync (recal actually) from NINA and move on.

Should I instead, after the polar align, open APPM and do a plate solve and sync? Running the recal through ASCOM thru APPC (with the model turned on) does something different than the recal (only, with no new model) in APPM?