My brand new AP1100 - play in both RA and DEC axis

Horia

As recommended by Roland, I was able to eliminate the worm play on both axes by adjusting the backstop. I also had a talk with Howard to clarify some details re. the DEC axis and greasing. Thank you both very much for the assistance.

On the RA axis I only needed to loosen the two screws and to apply the slightest pressure on the lever holder for it to move in position. After tightening the screws, the play was gone.

On the DEC axis I had to repeat the process four times before I could correct the play. Only after applying some pressure on the lever holder and a lot of wiggling was I able to bring it into the right position. Interestingly, in the beginning, the lever itself refused to move the complete 180° to release the worm. In the open position, it looked like this:

After that, I loaded the mount with a telescope, balanced it and slewed it all around the sky. Everything seems to be normal now. Could not yet do a test-run under the stars.

Just for the record, the mount is brand new, it left Astro-Physics on August 26-th and I am the first one to open the boxes.

Kind Regards,

Horia