M27 OSC and Mono combined

Robert Chozick

I would be glad to look at it.

Robert

On Jul 28, 2021, at 3:02 PM, Alex <alex@...> wrote:

Thanks for the links, very helpful and nice images. Also, thanks for the info on the camera sensors.
The difference between 14 and 16 bit is 16384 to 65536. Therefore, the 2600 does have an advantage over the 2400. Not sure how much difference this factor of 4 would make in an actual image but it would be fun to compare. Here is an image from the ZWO website that highlights the difference in smoothness and dynamic range of the two options:

<bit_comparison copy.jpg>

Last night I took some stacks of M27 with the longest exposure being 600s. Only had a second to glance at the results but will be working on the images tonight. Nice to have your image as a reference. I did notice some color difference in the center of the nebula with what seemed to be some gold tones but overall similar to your image in the above link. Once I get done processing the image (After several nights) I will send you a link to see what you think?

Alex

Alex

[...]

I intended to have a lot more Ha and OIII added to my M27 but that did not work.  I would take a lot of OSC subs,  I like to take at least 4-5 hours.  With your filter you will probably get much more of the outer Ha and OIII.  I would search the internet to see examples of these outer parts.  I have an old version that had more:

I like the 2600 Mono a lot. I want to use it for Ha and OIII to add to my OSC shots from the Color version.  I did do an HaLRGB shot with just the Mono below:

I will play with both and compare.   I may go back to LRGB but I sure like OSC.

The 2400’s only disadvantage is that it is 14 bit.  The 16 bit 2600 produces really nice images.  How much difference is there between 14 and 16 I am not sure but I think it is pretty significant.

I hope they make a 16 bit version of the 2400 someday and in both Mono and Color.  I would like to have bigger pixels.    For my widefield images the smaller pixels are great.

Robert

On Jul 26, 2021, at 6:02 PM, Alex <alex@...> wrote:

Hi Robert,

The image turned out pretty good. I want to image this nebula as well and I also have a 2600 color camera that I use a quad band narrow filter with. Now, I have a good image to compare too.

How do you like the mono version of the 2600?  For my next camera, I was looking at the ZWO 2400MC due to its pixel size (5.94um). Unfortunately, the 2400 is only available as a color camera and not in mono. It is on sale now for $2999.

Best,
Alex

Alex

Hi Robert,

The image turned out pretty good. I want to image this nebula as well and I also have a 2600 color camera that I use a quad band narrow filter with. Now, I have a good image to compare too.

How do you like the mono version of the 2600?  For my next camera, I was looking at the ZWO 2400MC due to its pixel size (5.94um). Unfortunately, the 2400 is only available as a color camera and not in mono. It is on sale now for $2999.

Best,
Alex

Robert Chozick

I was working on combining data from the ZWO 2600 color and 2600 mono cameras for the first time.  I had some equipment problems and the sky was not great but I did manage to get something from both cameras to combine.  I threw out a lot of subs and the OIII and Ha couldn’t be used to the fullest as they looked pretty bad.  I just used some of the Ha and OIII in the nebula itself and not in the background or stars.   I at least found out my adapters used for the color without the filter wheel and the mono with the filter wheel did get the same size image with the AP telecompressor and my RC scope.  I was worried they would not match.

https://pbase.com/rchozick/image/171822160

Robert